Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1x19 - "Dues Ex Machina" Episode Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, that's fair enough if you don't like Locke I'm not a big fan of Charlie either, so I didn't even notie he wasn't here heheh, I guess I'm just getting my karma back for not loving Charlie, huh

I love any character that keeps it interesting. If Locke goes frigging evil and tries to kill everyone, he'll STILL be my favourite, because I just love the depth of him. Actually, if indeed you're right and he DID do all that stuff for his own selfish reasons, which I'm starting to think could actually be the case, after watching the episode again, then I find him even more interesting, and should probably love him even more I just don't like people disliking my favourite character, and calling him a dumbass! If you must call him something, call him a F*cktard it's more acurate - Locke is NOT stupid.
Watching it again, it looks more like Locke is forced into it, like an addiction that he needs to satiate from whatever cost. And in that dream, he was in the wheelchair, and said something like "NO! Don't take it away! Please..." so obviously it must have felt like a warning - if he didn't do what he needed to fast, he would be punished.

But man, I feel so damn sorry for Locke in this episode. Everything in it really, backstory and (front?)story. Poor Locke his dad abandonned him like that... even after letting him on to the last second... and they seemed so happy together... but.... Poor Locke... he must have just given up from that...
sigh.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all sincerity, Locke's great. But I guess my point is, he isn't my favorite person right now. Haha. If he IS evil, I want him to show it. My favorite villians are the one who are badass and don't give a rat's ass who the hell knows it. Locke's secretive nature is getting on my friggin' nerves. There's no reason for him to be that elusive.

I didn't understand from the start, and still don't understand why it's so important to keep the hatch a secret. Why is it important to keep the plane they found a secret? (When information about how he was injured COULD help Jack treat Boone.) The transmission? I believe Locke could hear it from the ground (he heard the static/feedback at the beginning at least.)

The last thing we need is a passive aggressive vilian. I miss Ethan. He was sexay with his badassness.

Locke could easily become one of those villians that you "love to hate." Terry definately has the screen presence for it. But right now he's just frustrating me - partially because I'm not sure if he's just a fucktard or a geniune bad guy.
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, we still didn't find out how be became a criple. l was waiting the entire episode for them to reveal that little detail but of course no, they didn't. DAMNIT ALL TO HELL.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm. Very good but not great. I don't think it came close to Walkabout.

In responce to the Boone thing, obviously Locke is following 'the island' no matter what the cost. Of course he knew Boone would get hurt. We still don't know why he is following the island, but it's probably for reasons that are worth risking Boones death (at least to Locke). And he was crying at the end because he thought risking Boones life by following his dream would at least open the damn hatch. But no, it seems to only have turned on the lights. bah.

Why the heroin plane? How convinient to have a plane full of the drug Charlie was addicted to. Maybe he'll find it and OD for the first lost death. That would be so anticlimacticly perfect. lol.

The light really pissed me off - it was just another big non-reveal. I hate those.

The sawyer side-story was amusing and the Locke back story was good. But damn it, something better happen on the island soon. I thought this was the episode that would finally move the plot forward. nope.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and what was the Deus Ex Machina?

his dream? cause that was the weakest Deus Ex ever.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Dues ex Machina (God of the machine, right?) could be interpreted as more of a fate thing.

Just the God of the machine, just the nature of the beast, just part of the grand design?

Locke's mother did say that he was part of some "grand design" even though she was BSing him.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got in late tonight (she has a life? Say it ain't so!!! ) so haven't had a chance to see the episode yet, other than the end (because I'm a bad person who often checks the end of things just to see how they're going to turn out... ). So why am I here discussing the episode? Just to share my main observation:

Locke looks much better bald.

Thank you and good night!

~Aislynn

Nope, I'm sure not afraid to go deep with my observations, huh?
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^wow. what a keen observation.

In storytelling deus ex machina usually means: An unrealistic or unexpected intervention to rescue the protagonists or resolve the conflict.

true, the dream was unexpected and came from an outside source, but nothing got resolved.

as usual.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
^^wow. what a keen observation.
In storytelling deus ex machina usually means: An unrealistic or unexpected intervention to rescue the protagonists or resolve the conflict.

true, the dream was unexpected and came from an outside source, but nothing got resolved.

as usual.

If your looking for resolution you are watching the wrong show enchirito-for every one answer you get five more questions. Thats why i love this show-l

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that too. But the title of the episode made me think I would finally get some answers this time. Fooled again. oh well at least this wasn't the season ender. The last ep of the season better be a shocker.

no spoilers please
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If your looking for resolution you are watching the wrong show enchirito-for every one answer you get five more questions. Thats why i love this show-l

I have to agree with you there Laura.
For once, an episode still pleased me, even without any resolution on the island. Either that, or I've died inside and given up any hope of getting answers.... either way, how'd you like it Laur?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sheree
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't even get me started on Charlie. Who didn't miss him in this episode? I didn't!

Charlie is my fave character ...I missed him ...and am excited that he will be on next week...

I love LOST ...I haven't been this excited about a show since the X-Files...GREAT episode tonight...Sawyer and the glasses thing was a riot
Jaime
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok my explanation for "God Of The Machine"...
Lockes mom said he was emaculately(sp?) conceived, to which Lockes father said "I guess that makes me God", well then that would make Locke the "Machine". So like maybe Locke or his tears on the hatch made the light come on or something because he is the "Machine' and "Grand design" blah blah blah..... I don't know it was just a thought and it's 3:30AM so it's probably just insane-ness. I think Lost has a lot to do with father daughter/son relationships, examples: Jack(duh),Sawyer,Claire, Shannon maybe cause her dad died and I think we'll probably find out more about that later like season 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the term Dues Ex Machina, or "God of the machine", comes from Greek and Roman plays where a 'god' would be lowered onto the stage in a crane (machine) and would unraval and solve whatever problems the charactes had. So, this episode still seems mis-labled to me.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:

I have to agree with you there Laura.
For once, an episode still pleased me, even without any resolution on the island. Either that, or I've died inside and given up any hope of getting answers.... either way, how'd you like it Laur?

I've seen it three times since last night. I had a meeting at work that would make me late for the start of the show, but i left early. Got home watched...my sister got home so we watched again. I watched this morning. Wow. So I think i liked this episode LOL. Did anyone else get a phonecall during the show to say "Tereasa falls up the stairs...Tereasa falls down the stairs?" The light at the end was cool, but i really hope there aren't aliens in there LOL.-l

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: