Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If this bill passes, there won't be any more fan videos.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaa! That's great news!

art by me&tammy
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow, January 18th, 2012, will be the largest internet protest in history. Thousands of sites across the internet, including some of the biggest in the world, will be blacking out and directing people to contact Congress to kill the web censorship bill, SOPA and PIPA. We want to get you involved.

Join us on the historic day by blacking out your site. Copy the code below and paste it into the header of your theme (Wordpress users: use the SOPA Strike plugin) to black your site out in protest of SOPA/PIPA. It will activate automatically on Jan. 18th, displaying this page and directing visitors to contact Congress, and will deactivate at the end of the day.

SOPA was closed so hopefully Pipa will be shut down too.
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very confused now. Google is sounding like both bills are still to be voted on, on the 24th. Either they're behind or that info about it being shelved was wrong.

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were just talking about it on a German radio station as well, about the protests on websites like Wikipedia and how Obama is opposing the bills but that it still remains to be seen what'll happen
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're not going to really know if we're safe on this bunch of bills until after the 24th then.
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of web sites that would be shut down in the event of SOPA/PIPA passing have gone dark today in protest of the bills. It's very humbling to log onto sites like wikipedia.org and not be able to use it.

These sites have a lot of great (often hilariously stated) information about the bills. If you haven't checked them out yet, do!

But these links will only be good on the 18th, I'd imagine.

caution: colorful language and semi-mature content may be present in some of the following hilarity

www.google.com and https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

www.theoatmeal.com

http://www.reddit.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

www.fark.com (hilarious "support" statement)
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's something to consider that Obama is opposed to the bills. I know he won't necessarily have the final call, but hey, he IS the president, he's slightly important!

Ugh, I hope these bills just go unpassed and just disappear. It's really a violation of a whole bunch of rights.

art by me&tammy
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee, Julia, thanks for those links! I love Fark's "support" message, lol!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google haven't shut down; they just put a black box in front of their logo and when you run your mouse over it; it says "Tell Congress: Don't sensor the web!"

Some of these websites I've never heard of.
Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this on another site.

Obama Says So Long SOPA, Killing Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation

Quote:
The growing anti-SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) support that has swept through the gaming and Internet community found a very big ally today. With websites like Reddit and Wikipedia and gaming organizations like Major League Gaming prepared for a blackout on January 18th – the same day that the House Judiciary Committee hearing on HR 3261was scheduled in Washington, DC – President Barack Obama has stepped in and said he would not support the bill.

SOPA has been delayed, for now. The House has agreed to revisit the issue next month, but they now know the White House will veto any bill that’s not more narrowly focused.

Much to the chagrin of Hollywood, the Entertainment Software Association (which has been a backer of the bill from early on), and Internet domain company GoDaddy.com (which lost many accounts as a result of its support for the bill); SOPA has been shelved. The Motion Picture Association of America, one of the bill’s largest sponsors, is expected to regroup.

California congressman Darrell Issa, who has been opposed to the bill from the beginning, praised the Internet action that has swept like a virus across the Web the past week.

“The voice of the Internet community has been heard,” said Issa. “Much more education for members of Congress about the workings of the Internet is essential if anti-piracy legislation is to be workable and achieve broad appeal.”

But there remains another similar bill, Protect IP (the Enforcing and Protecting American Rights Against Sites Intent on Theft and Exploitation Act), that poses a problem for gamers and Internet users. This legislation is scheduled to go before the Senate on January 24th.

Both SOPA and Protect IP attempt to combat online piracy by preventing American search engines like Google and Yahoo from directing users to sites distributing stolen content. Both bills also would enable people and companies to sue if their copyright was infringed. Obama has come out against both bills, which killed SOPA and puts pressure on senators come January 24th. The full White House response can be read here.

“Any provision covering Internet intermediaries such as online advertising networks, payment processors, or search engines must be transparent and designed to prevent overly broad private rights of action that could encourage unjustified litigation that could discourage startup businesses and innovative firms from growing,” said The White House. “We expect and encourage all private parties, including both content creators and Internet platform providers working together, to adopt voluntary measures and best practices to reduce online piracy.”

Just like piracy itself, this debate isn’t over. Expect more bills to move forward, although the wording in future legislation is expected to be more narrowly focused in an attempt to appease the current administration. But given the current economic climate and the upcoming Presidential election, there could be a different administration entering The White House soon, changing the landscape for these types of bills.

Follow me on Twitter @JohnGaudiosi

Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MegaUpload has been taken offline.
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard! What's next?!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we now worry about our YT accounts? Is it still safe at all to have a YT account with fanvids?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are safe for the time being Karolina.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but still... all these news are really freaking me out a bit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: