Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YouTube and copyright infringment issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was thirty seconds. Barely, tho...maybe I should make it a little longer.

Hey, there's another vid site you guys can join if you want: www.vimeo.com.

This is me: www.vimeo.com/hobbitrockgod

art by me&tammy
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article was just posted in the LiveJournal Vidding community (if you use LiveJournal, I highly recommend you watch/join this comm, it has lots of interesting info and they try to keep an eye on the legal issues as well as the technical or artistic ones).

In part, the article says:

Quote:
Some of you may be wondering why Youtube has been removing your videos. Last year various studios (Universal Music Group for example) entered into an arrangement with Youtube that allowed Youtube members to use their music. Audio fingerprinting software can now detect song use and a notice is sent to the Youtube vidder: "Hey, we noticed you're using a copyrighted song, but the copyright owner is allowing you to use their music - there will be ads on your video web page and of course, they can revoke their permission at any time. But until then, have fun!" iMeem, another streaming video service entered into similar arrangements with the record studios.

Last month, Warner Brothers declined to renew their music arrangement with Youtube so I suspect we'll see many more videos being taken down at the studios requests.

Did you notice the part about iMeem??? iMeem, another streaming video service entered into similar arrangements with the record studios.

Well, that's not happy news! *sigh*
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, how annoying, Ais. Not that I like imeem anyway, my videos come out WAY off beat. But youtube is no better if I can't keep my videos up! I've had a bunch of my vids taken down. I even got a long PM from "the copyright police"! I was a little scared. LOL They told me that I had to take my vid with a Bryan Adams song down. It was slightly intimidating. xD

So... I guess we're stuck to watching it streaming on zshare?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What! imeem too?? This really sucks!!!

That site Eryn mention in her post is pretty nice. I think I'm going to set up a back-up account there...just incase.

banner by: everythingwasfallingapart on tumblr
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah vimeo is cool! I posted something about it months ago...I have a few vids up there but I forgot my password! LOL

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lostwithoutdom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I remember you saying something about it a while back.

haha I do that all the time! I can never remember my passwords, I have to reset them constantly. lol

banner by: everythingwasfallingapart on tumblr
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a total buzz-kill tonight with my links here...

Taken from here

Quote:
A reminder to those fans considering using Vimeo as a streaming replacement for vids that have removed from Youtube: Vimeo's business is focused on the independent film-maker. The owners of the site, their staff and their user base do not support or tolerate fanvids. They even refuse to allow public domain footage to be posted.

more here

This is just all sucking lemons through a straw, isn't it?

*goes away to look sad*
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*comes back*

I hate posting things that only point out problems and offer no solution but right now vidders are a bit stuck. If you're on YouTube's radar and they won't let you upload a vid, then you don't have much choice but to try other places like iMeem or Vimeo until they catch you. If you're squeaking by on YouTube right now, then I'd think just hang tight. Of course, if you get a cease and desist email, then comply with it and take your vid down.

I'm still hoping that one of the measures about Fair Use will eventually get us a bit of protection. As long as we're not making money off our vidding, why can't the entertainment and music industries use us as free promotion for their products?
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolute bull It's like we have no freedom. Why CAN'T we make fanvids? I mean it's like you said, Ais, we make NO money off it! We might as well the way they're acting! I guess zshare it is if all these video communities are fighting us off T_T
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah, another one of mine just got disabled :S:S one of my very old ones, back in WMM days!! my Sun 'bitch' vid, im pretty sure its a Warner Bros song and my old vids dont have an intro but still - GRRR!!! :S:S

i have a massive hate for zshare ever since it crapped out on me just as I got my site working, so now i boycott it and refuse to use it. it would just be the sickest thing if im forced to use it, lol bloody youtube!!! it must be a red tape thing; im sure youtube would be more than happy to let us host our vids, but its the shows/bands we use that kick up a stink :S

Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, vimeo too? Everybody just hates us!! Well, I think I'm gonna keep posting on YT, nothing of mine's been removed yet... Then I also have a backup on imeem and vimeo.

icon by becca
Lizzie
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this information. So there's no way of getting the video back on YT with the same comments and stuff? lol.

That sucks, I just came on today to find one of my videos removed, and it was my only video with over 15,000 views and over 20 comments LOL. Sucks really

xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, about a month or two ago, I got an email about my first ever LOST video, Can't Take it In by Imogen Heap. Today, I just saw this one. The two emails are exactly the same, except for the titles.

Quote:
Dear xXAngelicEvilXx,

Video Disabled

A copyright owner has claimed it owns some or all of the audio content in your video Do No Harm. The audio content identified in your video is Silent Lucidity by Queensryche. We regret to inform you that your video has been blocked from playback due to a music rights issue.

Replace Your Audio with AudioSwap

Don't worry, we have plenty of music available for your use. Please visit our AudioSwap library to learn how you can easily replace the audio in your video with any track from our growing library of fully licensed songs.

Other Options

If you think there's been a mistake, or you have other questions, please visit the Copyright Notice page in your account.

Sincerely,
The YouTube Content Identification Team

Now, I don't have the copy of my first video on my computer. I believe it's on my old computer and/or an external hard drive that I can't get to work.

Same goes for Do No Harm. I think I may have them on a DVD somewhere, but I'd have to find it first if it's actually in the house.

This ticks me off. My Sins of Sawyer video is still on YouTube, and the audio for that is "What I've Done" by Linkin Park.

How on earth they find older songs that while popular, are not as popular, as Linkin Park, etc. etc.

I dunno if it's an actual copyright owner, or if it's just another user getting pissy and being a stickler for rules, but I'm getting aggravated.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost my first vid now as well, "Ethan's Wonderful World." That's exactly what my email said as well, Erin. The claimed content was the song.

If you don't have your Sins of Sawyer vid still, I'd suggest ripping it from YouTube while you still have the chance because Linkin Park is definitely on the Do Not Allow list, so they'll get it eventually.

I think another user can flag you and bring you to their attention but its the audio or video copyright holders who are responsible for telling YouTube to remove it.
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily, Sins of Sawyer I have on my computer, along with Diary of Jate. Just a Dream, the Season 2 recap and older ones like that are on my old computer, which is at my Mom's house in Missouri. However, the newer ones are on this computer, so even if YT decides to take them down, oh well. I'll either reupload them there or put them somewhere else.

I agree with another poster. They can have no problem showing shows on there, but the minute someone makes a fan video for NO money whatsoever, no commercial gain, someone makes a big stink out of it. It's monetary hypocrisy and I can't stand it. I'll also fight it. I don't get paid for the time I spend making videos (not like I make alot these days or ever did anyway), so as long as I do them for free, they can go ahead and get ticked. I would worry moreso if I were to charge for the videos I make. Then they have a right to get bent out of shape.

I'm not costing them money, they can kiss my butt in all honesty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: