Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bittorrent or Nothing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Bittorrent or Nothing Reply with quote

Bittorrent:
PROS:
- bandwidth-free
- free for everyone
- reliable as far as being part of the site (no bad connections)
- NO loss of any videos hosted on the site!
CONS:
- slow (or is it? tell me )
- difficult for some to use
- requires seeders to work ( we would need CONSTANT support from you, the viewers)
- complicated

NO hosting:
PROS:
- bandwidth-free
- no more need for judging
- encourages people to get outside hosting
- we are thinking of implementing a search bar to find videos faster
CONS:
- people need to pay to get hosted (eg. http://www.itstandard.net/ )
- MUCH fewer videos on the site (about half of what we have now...)
- lowered quality of videos (no judging...)
-unreliable sometimes (eg. connection errors to outside-hosted sites.)

This could mean a big influence on what we choose to do for the future of the site. Bandwidth is the biggest problem we ever have, and we need to think up an idea that will give us the amounts we need. to be fair, there are still a few ways certain aspects of these two choices could be improved, such as hosting videos for one month, then stopping the hosting, if we choose not to have the constant hosting idea. But nonetheless it would involve lowering the ammount of vids hosted at one time. Can you all live with that? that's what this poll is for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l had Blog Torrent, thats what l used to download the vids. l didn't know how to get Bittorent working, it kept reading error. But if it comes down to having more vids on the site and what not, l'll just have to learn how to get it working. Either that or pay someone to get it working for me...lol.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you guys could also just have the vids posted for a little while. Like say if a vid does get in on LVI, lt could be avalible for download maybe say like a week or so and then move on with some new vids. You'd still be getting new stuff and probably everyone on this forum visits the site at least once a day (plenty of time to download a new video) not to mention all the other LVI fans that just havn't found their way to the forums yet. And if someone missed a new video, l'm sure the vidder wouldn't mind uploading it in YSI for them, They could post them in the forums. l don't know, Just an idea.

Last edited by Hollywood on Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me weigh in here. As long as LVI remains where we are BitTorrent is not only NOT an option but it's also a risk that I'm not willing to take with the site. We nearly lost LVI this time and I won't risk losing it all together.

As for "No Hosting" I can't comment on what the future of LVI will be because we're still working on it and with my experience with change I know that at any given moment one idea could change the whole course of thinking.

I will tell all of you this, I created LVI with a purpose and that was to serve the fandom. No matter what 4.0 comes out looking like I promise you that is the core of LVI and it will not be sacrificed. I will also tell you this, 4.0 will be considerable different from previous versions just based on past experiences. But I think if we as the council put the time in, 4.0 will be the best version yet.

We've talked some early plans on LVI 4.0 but nothing has been finalized and green lighted yet so anything can change. Once we have a finalized idea you guys will be the first to know what it is.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why this poll was made, but rest assured, LVI 4.0 will not come down to either BT or 'no hosting'. Like lostcalier said, we will be back in a totally new way, but with the same goals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: