Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Sony Vegas feat. a beginner's tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... something is very wrong!
I changed all my settings to mirror yours, and my effects still aren't working out for me... could it be because it is a trial version? Do you have a link for a trial version that might be better?
But here's the thing... like I said in my first post, at one point I clicked the 'video output fx' icon above the preview screen, and the glow effect worked... but only on half the screen.
Still no ideas on what might be causing this?
Ugh... well thanks again for all your help! I really hope I can fix this... this video will be poo without effects, lol.
-I also tried it on a different file, just in case it was just that one that was corrupt. It wasn't.
Oh and by the way, in my screencap where it says "clip" those came up in the trimmer when I dragged my media into the trimmer. And remained when I created the subclip. Does that normally not happen?
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... problem solved!!! I just ditched that version and downloaded Vegas 8.0, and voila! The effects are working! So now I can get on with my life... and my video! Thank you so much for your help, it was extremely beneficial!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that I missed your post above this one! But I'm glad that you were able to fix the problem! It may have just been something "wrong" with that version of Vegas, then. One never can tell!

And you're welcome even though I really wasn't much help when all was said and done, lol!
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riay_night wrote:
Okay... something is very wrong!
I changed all my settings to mirror yours, and my effects still aren't working out for me... could it be because it is a trial version? Do you have a link for a trial version that might be better?
But here's the thing... like I said in my first post, at one point I clicked the 'video output fx' icon above the preview screen, and the glow effect worked... but only on half the screen.
Still no ideas on what might be causing this?
Ugh... well thanks again for all your help! I really hope I can fix this... this video will be poo without effects, lol.
-I also tried it on a different file, just in case it was just that one that was corrupt. It wasn't.
Oh and by the way, in my screencap where it says "clip" those came up in the trimmer when I dragged my media into the trimmer. And remained when I created the subclip. Does that normally not happen?

This EXACT thing happened to me! the effects not working and stuff; i have no idea what it was. i did the same thing, lol. downloaded vegas 8 glad you sorted it out

riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it is so weird, isn't it? I was getting very fed up, and then a began to realize that the version I had downloaded was probably corrupt or something...
I am now living a happier life with Vegas 8, lol.

So another quick question-
when I save a video in Vegas, what do I save it as? Like what are reccomondations for best file size, ect?
And, in the video i'm making now, the preview window keeps stuttering... WMM would do that too, but when I saved the video, it was all fine. Is it the same case here?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riay_night wrote:
So another quick question-
when I save a video in Vegas, what do I save it as? Like what are reccomondations for best file size, ect?
And, in the video i'm making now, the preview window keeps stuttering... WMM would do that too, but when I saved the video, it was all fine. Is it the same case here?

Yep, the preview window will stutter the longer that you go along with the vid as it has to deal with more clips, effects and such but it should render just fine. One really cool thing that Vegas can do is spot render a section! You just left-click and drag along the timeline until you highlight the section you're not sure about, then go to File - Render As and make sure that the "render loop region" box is checked (the wording may not be exactly the same in Vegas 8.0 but hopefully it's close to that! ). Then it will render up just that section and you can check for timing or whatever and see exactly how it will look in the finished vid! I find that REALLY helpful!

As for settings, I use .WMV (.AVI will result in a huge file size ) and everything else I usually keep the default settings. Although I use "Keep Original Size" because my footage is an usual shape -- 428x240 -- and I prefer to keep it that way. You'll find when you start the rendering process that there's a "Custom" tab over to the right and that will take you into a bunch of options for both the audio and video. You can bump the video quality up with a slider bar (it's usually at about 93% for the default) but that will make your file size start getting noticeably bigger and sometimes it doesn't really look that much better, you know?

So I suggest just going with .WMV and all of the defaults at first and see how it looks to you. Then you can always start adjusting things if you don't like the results and go from there! Again, this is another way that the spot rendering thing is handy, IMO. You can test a so-many second area on your vid and see if everything looks okay and make adjustments before you try rendering the entire vid. Good luck!
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much!!! The 'render as' is amazing! I love it!
I really am already in love with Vegas... i'm just still learning the in's and out's of it!!!

I searched through like the first seven pages (I am guilty of not searching all 28 ) and found that this was mentioned several times, but never explained or anything. How do you do a split screen?

I got this far: I got both clips I wanted, and used the cookie cutter so one side of the screen was black... but where do I go from there???

Once again, I seriously appreciate you so much!!! I wouldn't be learning any of this without you!!!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riay_night wrote:
I searched through like the first seven pages (I am guilty of not searching all 28 ) and found that this was mentioned several times, but never explained or anything. How do you do a split screen?

I got this far: I got both clips I wanted, and used the cookie cutter so one side of the screen was black... but where do I go from there???

Once again, I seriously appreciate you so much!!! I wouldn't be learning any of this without you!!!

Certainly, I'm glad to help! Believe me, I had a million questions when I first started trying to figure it out, so I don't mind helping any time I can!

And you're so close to getting the split-screen already on your own, lol! Just put the cookie cuttered clip on the timeline over the other clip. The black is actually transparent, showing whatever is beneath it (which if there isn't anything on the timeline beneath it, then it appears black).

If what you're cookie cuttering isn't placed properly onto the other clip (like, say, if you've cookie cuttered around Sawyer and you want him to appear on the left side of the screen on a clip he wasn't actually in), then you just use the pan/crop tool to position the clip where you want it (in other words, put Sawyer on the left side of the clip from my first example), then you'll need to move the cookie cutter over to the left as well so that it lines up correctly again. It's usually easier in my opinion to move the clip first with the pan/crop tool, then cookie cutter it, but it'll work the same either way. You just have to play around with both of them until you have things where you want them!
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I really hope this isn't another one of those weird crazy things...

I already did place the cookie cuttered clip over the normal clip... and the black is not acting transparent. It's just staying black, and not showing what's underneath!

I cookie cuttered one clip, and made the left side black. Then I placed it over another clip, and nothing changed. Then I edited the clip beneath it, and cookie cuttered that one as well (in the opposite spot) and there was still no difference.

I really hope that made sense!

Here is a screencap, so you can see my settings... maybe they are out of the right mode or something?

They're not on top of one another in the screencap... but those are the two i'm using. You can't see it, but futher up in the editing box it says "Method: Cut all away but section"

Thank you again! I can't wait until i'm an expert and I can stop posting questions here... maybe i'll post answers someday!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm... *puts on lab coat and glasses so to be properly dressed to start her CSI investigation*

I can see that a few things here are different than my Vegas Movie Studio, namely that the control box for the effects isn't in a pop-up window like mine is but is instead down where the effects panel is. Which actually makes a lot more sense, in my opinion. Everything looks like it should be working, so that's just bizarre that it's not!

I do notice that it looks like you have 1 video timeline and 3 audio tracks, which is another thing that may just be a difference from version to version or from full version to Movie Studio version. I'm presuming that when you put your second clip underneath the first that it became a video track? (You never know about these things! Figured I'd better ask! )

Also, I see in this cap that you have the second timeline muted (no doubt to get rid of the audio from the clip -- you can left click that and delete just the audio if you'd like to get rid of that, by the way If your entire clip should disappear when you do that, just undo the delete by using CTRL + Z or by using undo in Vegas's menu, then right-click the clip, go down to "group" and select "remove from group." That will separate the audio and video and then you can delete the audio if you don't need it ). Anyway, back on topic! Make sure that when you have the one clip over the other, that neither of their tracks are muted. It's the anti symbol right next to the exclamation point on track number 2 in your screencap.

Now... if none of THAT makes a difference... I'm beginning to get pretty stumped! *fingers crossed that something in here will have been helpful* Let me know how it goes!
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I messed around a bit, and this is what I did...

I looked up 'split screen vegas tutorial' and all this stuff came up on you tube.... but the way everyone else did it was by clicking the 'track motion' button, and going from there. Have you heard of that?

Well, I was only using the split screen for a few seconds in the video, so what I did was this: I moved the second video clip down a line, and then did the track motion button, and it gave me an effect that was good enough! (This is probably making no sense, lol )

I still want to learn how to successfully do split screens, in case I want to do a whole video some day! But anyway, for now the problem is fixed well enough, and I'm hoping I can finish this video without asking anymore questions!

Once again, thank you so much! I will probably end up dedicating the video to you, lol! You've ended up playing a very big part with all your question answering, lol.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riay_night wrote:
I looked up 'split screen vegas tutorial' and all this stuff came up on you tube.... but the way everyone else did it was by clicking the 'track motion' button, and going from there. Have you heard of that?

Well, I was only using the split screen for a few seconds in the video, so what I did was this: I moved the second video clip down a line, and then did the track motion button, and it gave me an effect that was good enough! (This is probably making no sense, lol )

Yes, I've heard of track motion. That's how a lot of people do their split-screens in the full version of Vegas, which has unlimited audio and video tracks. The trick to remember is that all clips on that same timeline track will be moved over in that same direction, so you'll need to put that particular clip on its own timeline and use a different one for the rest of the clips you don't want to be moved over to that side. In Movie Studio, we only have a total of 4 available video tracks, so I don't usually have room to dedicate one timeline track to just one clip (plus I tend to move things all over the place so I'd need a bunch of timelines, lol! ). But bottom line, as long as it's working for you right now, that's all that matters!

riay_night wrote:
I still want to learn how to successfully do split screens, in case I want to do a whole video some day! But anyway, for now the problem is fixed well enough, and I'm hoping I can finish this video without asking anymore questions!

Once again, thank you so much! I will probably end up dedicating the video to you, lol! You've ended up playing a very big part with all your question answering, lol.

Hopefully you'll figure out what was going wrong with the cookie cutter and why it wouldn't split-screen for you because that also is a big part of how you do overlays and other effects like that, so you don't want it to not work for you if you can help it! But for now, yay, hopefully it'll do the trick!

And awwww, no dedication required I'm glad to help! Good luck getting it done soon!
jaid77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You so much for this thread! I'm learning all kinds of cool stuff!
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question!

So using Sony Vegas how do you zoom on a clip? There were several examples in Leylin's Disney Video I mean zoom on a clip so it goes with the beat.

And also how do you use a flash in a clip, rather than as a transition? Like if I wanted to just have a flash to the beat while a certain clip is playing?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!!!

Banner and Avi by me. I take requests.
secret_neo
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ooo, good question, i'd like to know too, im thinking you have to do somethin with the pan/crop and fiddling with the keyframes. don't hold me true to that, cuz i really dont know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 28 of 53

Jump to: