Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

awards system queries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC - I explained the misunderstanding that xgene and I had, and they seemed cool after that. It was when KC tried to explain why she thought I felt the way I felt that xgene got uber-offended and left. I'm sorry to see that out discussion sent someone away, but it WAS only a discussion and having read KC's post NUMEROUS times, I don't see anywhere in which she specifically targets a single person in a viscious way. But, what the hell do I know?

Will reply to everyone else's when I get home from work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
now you have 2 golds WOOT!!!!!111!!!!

Another example of the (usually silent) double checks we try and do for any vidder that requests it . We had a revote on one of Jen's vids, and on the second view they changed their minds about what it deserved, so Jen got a Gold on it. Of course, this revote was actually before this whole controvercy, and I do realize how bad it looks to have changed a vote just because of this presssure. But it wasn't because of that. It was simply a reconsidation of the vid, with a couple CMs changing their minds, and some other CMs coming in to see the vid who hadn't before. The outcome happened to be different
Quote:

P.S. Congrats to all those that got some of their vids "upgraded."

I'm not sure what you mean by that. But if you're implying anyone caving and changing some votes to please some people - you just better not be. We're still the harsh but fair judges we've always been

Quote:

All these council picks business drives me crazy. If I vid again, I'm going to vid to please myself and anyone else that might be pleased by the vid, but I'm not going to have that golden fleece - gold pick, I mean (English class is stuck in my head for some reason) - motivate me.

I think my chances of being one of the best 25 vidders are pretty much shot anyway.

Good for you . Takes a lot of guts to not worry about that sort of thing! But I do disagree with your second statement . You will be the top 25 if you keep at it, it's just a question of time.

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:51 am Post subject:
Thanks Warren, it's good to see that you can see the point behind my post. I hope you realise I wasn't saying anything bad about the CM's, your awsome! Just at the way voting is often done. I think that possibly this topic is ready to fizzzle out anyway.

Thanks I think it's ready to peacedfully fizzle out too . But until then, any more questions you guys have - Warren's here to answer them

Quote:

Which is fair enough - who wants to create unnecessary friction? But it again brings me back to the point that who decided which CM vids went into the Top 81? I'm not trying to get at you, and there is no malicious intent behind any of my comments, I'm just trying to make a point.

I know, I know It's annoying trying to make things fair for the judges to compete in contests and such, when they're... well... judges! Honestly, if we were all robots, or getting paid for it, then I'm sure things would work out much smoother. But unfortunately we're all simple volunteers who love vidding , so it's kinda hard to say "hey, you can't enter that contest"

Quote:
First, Warren, I think it says a lot that you were happy to re-open this thread. Not just that you did it, but that you took it upon yourself because you felt that the discussion that was going on in here had merit and value. I think that every single person who ever had doubts about the fairness of anyone at the helm can squash those thoughts right now. These are the people that we're dealing with. Remember that.

Awwww, thanks a bundle KC. You rule.
Quote:

I'm not sure how I feel about your decision to reveal how you all voted. Not that I mind. I only hope that this isn't expected from now on. I DON'T want you guys to feel afraid to vote honestly. I certainly hope that is not what has happened here.

Fear not. This time we each gave you details on the vote (and notice how none of us gave you details unless they were about themselves, or they were already mentioned?) because this is a good example to really explain what's going on so everyone can understand . And actually, I should really be appologizing to you fore this being your vid up on the surgeon's table, being disected by us . Really sorry, I'm sure that can't be that fun. I hope it at least caught a few more views from others in the midst of the controvercy lol.
And as far as publically announcing our votes - that is something that we will definitely not be doing, unless someone specifically asks for it. As you said, that makes us afraid to vote honestly and even though the thought of displeasing the public is a tough thing to stress over, I think the most important thing is that we continue to vote fairly. Though we do know nobody's ever gonna be completely happy with what we do. Even if we gave every vid a Gold, there'd still be people ticked that their masterpieces are being compared to the "Jate kiss with random scenes and music" vids... there's really no winner in this (except those CP winners, lol.)

Quote:
I know that some people take issue with the fact that the videos count towards your hall of fame as well. That I can't comment on. I don't know how that could possibly be remedied or that it needs to be. Because your vids are not voted on, there's no way you can earn a gold or even a silver. So if we take that away from you, then what is your incentive to keep serving as a CM?

Thanks for seeing the issue there too. If there was a way to solve this so everyone would be happy, then we'd definitely do it. But unfortunately there's just a problem with any action we take, especially regarding the Hall of Fame . That's why I just went with what I said earlier, and silently made the switch without causing a ruckus . The last thing I want is for either the CMs, or everyone else, to feel isolated from each other .
So... take these things with a grain of salt. The Hall of Fame is hardly accurate of a vidder's worth anyway, just as the Council is not necessarilly composed of the best vidders. The Hall of Fame simply counts gold CPs, and the Council is chosen for a number of attributes in addition to vidding ability. Just freaking ignore all these labels - they're mostly there for casual viewers anyway - and just go with your own judgement!

Quote:

PS - What about a Platinum CP? .... kidding. Mostly. LOL.

I tried it, but the colour didn't turn out that well. It seems you can't quite mimic the shinyness of platinum with a JPEG. Maybe a GIF!
LMAO kidding!
(or am I?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

P.S. Congrats to all those that got some of their vids "upgraded."

I'm not sure what you mean by that. But if you're implying anyone caving and changing some votes to please some people - you just better not be. We're still the harsh but fair judges we've always been

Maybe "upgrade" was a bad word choice. I meant like in Jen's case and KC's case. Err, "revoting" might work better.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Im really sick of all this. We do this- NOT for money, and use our own time out of our own lives to help keep the site going. We dont "see" anyone's vidder name and go "oh I dont like them blah blah blah." I PERSONALLY have been contacted by several people wanting me to beta their vid. Hey thats cool, thats what we are here for. And I carefully take notes, responding with my opinion of the piece. The response is usually pretty ungrateful and offended. Then the video comes down the pike, and none of my advice has been taken.

I cant imagine the chaos that would result from our visible viewing. Thats all I want to say about it.

And as for the "top videos" thing- of youre referring to the open poll, please let it be known that none of mine made it past round 1. Please let it be known that aside from a few "higher ups" (aka the ones who design, created and run the site) most of the council were vidders. Just like everybody else. I was here a YEAR before I was asked to be on the council. I reopened the thread of "Dr. Laura" so people could ask JUSt these questions- why didnt my vid get a whatever pick? Only a few people in the whole forum have utilized that.

In summary, the voting is fair. Thats all I can say about it. Weve even had people who were once "held" in "limbo" because of clip theft. Did we ban these people? NO! We just kept that in mind as we watched the next video. The next one was better, or worse, etc. Has nothing to do with whos my friends, etc. Anyway sorry I got here late, I just saw everything on here and exploded.

PS- If you ask my honest, constructive opinion, Im going to give it to you. Whether you take my advice or not, thats youre choice. But dont tell me how to vote at my "job" because one way or another will make you feel "better". I have vids on here that are NOT a "pick"!

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Ruth! I know you do give good constructive critisism from betas and I continue to send my videos to you as I know that you are honest.
You guys must spend ages of your own time for this job and making our videos better.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth, I think everyone's cooled down now, you don't need to worry. We all know you guys are as fair as possible and you work really hard. Sorry we got you kinda angry.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No anger, I just felt bad

Also- all is better in the land of LVI, and the peasants rejoice.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
savage_anna
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did't knew that here is such a big "Vid Wars" ... was *hopefully they are over*

as always I'm late at anything..but just smth I want to add..

I always vidding for my pleasure and for my own improvement. And I always try to do anything that I start edit as much better as I could...I love critic - tough or not, 'cause I want to see all mistakes that I have made..It's funny how I thought that my first vids "turn back time"(which was made on WMM2 ) and "stop crying your heart out" were mostly perfect ..I looked at them some time ago and I admit so many my mistakes ...and they got silver here and I totally understand why and how I remembered the time I got it I was't even upset just because there is nothing to be upset about. IMHO

I never very cared and care about what I was/will get . 'cause I understand that people have their opinions and their own points of view. If I were a judje I would't pick a gold or silvers to some vids here that I saw just because it's my opinion..And so what? we are all people with our own opinions, someone like smth, someone not..and it's normal

I'm not very popular vidder here, but I can say that for me always was so - even if one person would enjoyed my work - that is the best award for me, and totally not gold I'm feel very sad for people who think only in "gold"way. 'cause it's ridiculous if person started to make a vid. only for getting a Gold .IMHO ...On youtube on my "stop crying your heart out" vid. really big ammount of people commented and even pm's to me with smth like "wow, it's the best I saw" , but here it's get silver..and so what? I must be upset about that fact ??? For me really more important if people enjoying my work or not..But totally not a CP ...

It's not even a real life, it's internet...Gold, Silver, anything - that does't make you perfect or bad. You only learning and having more and more expirience

I think so every one just must to relax and vidding for there pleasure and not getting so crazy about what they will get... it's just my thoughts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: