Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1x22 - "Born to Run" Episode Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: 1x22 - "Born to Run" Episode Discussion Reply with quote

I'm posting this a bit early but the description is yellow so if you don't want to be spoiled you should be safe. Figured I'd post it early for those that want to start talking about it now.

As usual the description is taken from http://www.tvtome.com/Lost/guide.html .

Born to Run
gs: Carter Jenkins (Young Tom (voice)) MacKenzie Astin (Tom) Anosh Yagoob (Sanjay) Daniel Roebuck (Dr. Artz) Tamara Lynch (Nurse) Beth Broderick (Diane) Skye McCole Bartusiak (Young Kate (voice))

Jack suspects foul play when Michael becomes violently ill while building the raft. Meanwhile a secret from Kate's past is revealed, the mysterious hatch is shown to a few of the survivors, and Walt gives Locke a warning.

b: 11-May-2005 pc: 122 w: Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz s: Javier Grillo-Marxuach d: Tucker Gates

NOTE: A Kate-centric episode.
This episode shares it's title with a classic Bruce Springsteen album and song.
Guest-star Mackenzie Astin was once roommates with Dominic Monaghan (Charlie Pace). In addition, he also starred in the Lord of the Rings trilogy with MacKenzie Astin's brother, Sean Astin, who played Sam in the films.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that must be just a kick in the ass to all you Skate shippers "There ain't nothing on the island worth staying for."
OUCH >.<

Great episode. SOOOOO many clues, mysteries, and fixes to those mysteries. Not to mention so many more people know so many more things about each other now It's not Claire that the people are hiding their loved ones from (when Ethan was after her) it's Kate!
Kate's backstory is the MOST complex of any of them >.< gah... this is getting tough to twist through... hmmmm....

from what I gather, in 1989. Kate and Tom (that guy she ended up killing in the crash) made that time capsule. Kate was probably having a lot of trouble at home ("When I get my drivers license, I just want to drive and run away from it all" ...-... "well you know why that is...") but she did live with her father at one point, learning how to track, and probably shoot.
She then did SOMETHING that made her own mother afraid of her (or trying to get her caught or something) AND make her on the run from the law, even going so far as to charge a police car.
Later, Kate returned home when her mother was dying from cancer, and then she re-met the "man she loved", and killed him while escaping, BY ACCIDENT of course (she is a good person after all! Wow! Not gonna be so NEXT episode probably LOL they like to switch back and forth...), leaving the plane she dug up from the time capsule in the car.
Some time from then, either Kate, or someone else, got that plane and locked it in the safety deposit box 815. two people must have done it, because the box needed two keys. So either it was Kate and another, or two others, and Kate just managed to get the keys. Anyway, she then used some robbers to get in there (displaying she knew how to use a gun very well ), and got the plane over again.
At some point after that, Kate flew to Australia, and worked on Ray's farm, before getting turned in by him over to the Marshall (who may, or may not already be known to her. I'm guessing he's actually a friend of one of the people she has hurt or whatever, possibly even Tom!)
then the plane crashed as she was transferred, and we soon found out that either the Marshall, or Kate, had the plane in their possession (if it was Kate, the Marshall probably took it from her. But it's likely he had it instead, because the long time Kate may have gone without it probably sparked the big emotion when Jack confronted her with it...

I think that's it. However, I guarentee more will be added than those spaces I filled to make the story make sense. Expect Kate to be half demon or something lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaime
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think kate and tom were married, because she said she had been but it didnt last long.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie i LOVE your banner!

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didn't like this episode. at all.

The only good parts were the scenes with Walt AKA Wonderboy... "what is the secret of your power?"

The flashback was possibly the most boring and predictable yet. yawn.

Exodus better rock my socks off! NO spoilers! - I didn't even watch the preview because I love being caught off guard.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAURA4LAD wrote:

thanks! so you like that show too?
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this episode. So far I have loved all of Kate's episodes. I think there is so much to her story that we have yet to find out. For such an unkown actress Evangeline has done such an amazing job with Kate so far. I think once we findout what her crime is it'll be something that none of us expect. But I think she is innocent of whatever it is. Kate definitely had two sides to her as we saw at the end with her and Sun but at her core I think Kate is a good person. She's done so much to help on the island. I loved that moment Sawyer confronted Kate in front of the others. But with the things Kate has done for Claire and even Charlie or any of them I felt so bad for her when everyone just turned there backs on her. I hope we get to continue with her story much more next season. Everyone thinks Locke is the most complex character but Kate seems to have a lot to offer as well.

Here's to hoping for more stories like last nights. I want to find out more about her "mom" because I'm wondering what that story is. She has a different last name then her mom and was referring to her by her first name instead of "mom" the entire time. And then on that tape she told Tom he knew why she was always wanting to run. I wonder if she was adopted and the woman that she called "mom" was either her biological mom or maybe the woman that raised her. Another thing that I found of interest is what was in that note and who is sending her money and helping her. They still have a lot more to tell of her story.

Great episode all around.

www.lostvideo.net
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaime wrote:
LAURA4LAD wrote:

More like LOVE. The show is just one big sigh--i think i'll visit this thread just to stare at your av and banner.-l

btw i like george the best.

ETA-I kind of agree with E...but for me its just the third character centered eps are a bit much. I was really let down by Jack's too. I think last night's would have been way better served featuring walt. I did like the creepy help me part, but the entire show i knew what would happen before it did concerning kate-no fun-l

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's strange. I just read lostcalier's thoughts on kate and I get the total opposite vibe.

For some reason, I don't even really care what she did. I get the feeling that at her core she really is not a good person. Even if she is innocent of her crime (however bad) she seems willing to do anything to not get caught. And in the process she's probably doing more evil than the crime itself.

I just knew Kate posioned Michael and when they revealed it was Sun i was like - the writers got this all wrong it should have been kate! Then it turns out i was right after all. I do like how Sawyer finally got the better of Kate though. Other than that, boring. I never really feel sorry for Kate - she deserves everything she gets. I hope she gets caught lol.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAURA4LAD wrote:
Jaime wrote:
LAURA4LAD wrote:

More like LOVE. The show is just one big sigh--i think i'll visit this thread just to stare at your av and banner.-l

btw i like george the best.

yeah, theres only like 2 eps. left of this season though
i like derek better
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked last night's episode.

That is all.
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
I really liked last night's episode.

That is all.

Well put KC, l couldn't have said it any better. l agree.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Locke is the most complex character but Kate seems to have a lot to offer as well.

I'm with you completely on this one Lostcalier. Kate's backstory is probably the most complex of them all I didn't even CATCH that part about someone sending Kate money, and I completely forgot about that marriage of hers! her backstory is just NEVER gonna die out! >.< Unlike Jack's that is... his is kinda dying out already... being married is a bit of a twist... but not really lol.
Kate's episode wasn't THAT predictable Enchirito! I'll bet anything you didn't guess what Kate was gonna dig up, nor that her mother was gonna scream for help like that. Kate has a lot of baggage to go through, and looking at all that material there in her past, it seems like Kate is gonna be around here for a LOOOOOOONNNNNG time they wouldn't dare kill off the girl with a years worth of backstory material lol. I find myself a lot more interested in Kate's story after this episode, when that plane is finally relevant to the story.
I'm also with LC about Kate's core. I think there's a good person in the middle of that girl. Then again, I think that of everyone, so that's not saying all that much... But we now know that Kate didn't murder anyone (or we can at least assume), so there's a leap in that direction. I predict we're just gonna keep getting jerked around back and forth deciding whether or not she's good, and in the end she will be
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
I predict we're just gonna keep getting jerked around back and forth deciding whether or not she's good, and in the end she will be

I agree with that. I was thinking about it and I realized that if Kate was a real killer she would have just taken out one of the guys slated to go on the boat. If she was truly a murderer she wouldn't have helped Claire all the times she's needed her. When Claire passed out who ran to her side? When Claire was being used as bate for Ethan after he ran at her who was the first to run to comfort her why the guys held guns on Ethan? When Claire was delivering her baby who never left her side? Who couldn't even kill the man taking her to jail? Who save dthe man that turned in to the authorities? That's right, Kate. She is about as far from a murderer as you can get. I think we'll be jerked around but at her core she is a good person. She has a lot of hard times carved into her but I don't see her as a killer.

They have carved such a complex background for her that I think we'll be seeing her around for a very long time. I hope she sticks around to because to leave her story hanging now would be insane. There is just to much in her past to tell it in one season.

Someone out there is sending her money and I think it'll be interesting to see who it is. You can see the money in her hand when she is in the car with the letter. And it can't be Tom because he would have known she was back in Iowa. There are still a lot of mysteries in her past. We still don't know what her crime was or why she has so many identities. We don't know why she calls this Diane woman by her first name some times and mom other times. We don't know why she wanted to run away so bad in 1989. We don't know who her mystery contact is. We don't know whom she was married to. We don't know why her last name is different from the woman she called mom. We don't know exactly why the police were protecting her mom. We don't know why who put the plane in the safety deposit box and why it was in a state other then Iowa. We don't know how Kate got a hold of one of the keys but wasn't on the list to get into the box. There is just so much in her story to find out. She has more to tell then any other character I think. They are all complex but none of them have anything on Kate.

Like I said before it was a great episode for Kate's story.

www.lostvideo.net
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what lostcalier is trying to say is: "We don't know jack."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: