Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I'm not a Skater (by request... *cough*Aislynn*cough*)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Why I'm not a Skater (by request... *cough*Aislynn*cough*) Reply with quote

Okay...

So Aislynn wondered why Jaters couldn't meet her half way and admit that Kate and Sawyer do care for each other. Just as she admits that Jack and Kate do care for each other.

So here's my thing. I've watched A LOT of television. And historically, I'm open for just about any "ship" as long as the pairing is realistic, that it makes SENSE that these people would be drawn together, fall in love or even just have lots of primetime sex. As long as it makes sense, I'm all for it.

The only time I was devoutly against a "ship" prior to Lost was Dawson and Joey on Dawson's Creek. Mostly though, that was because Dawson was a jerk and Katie Holmes and The Beek had ZERO chemistry. When I watched Buffy I was all for all of the ships presented. With the exception of Riley/Buffy. (That was boring-ville.) When a character broke up with another charater and dated someone new, it was almost always realistic and in the very least well-written.

Heck, even when Anya and Spike had REBOUND SEX on Buffy I thought it was realistic and well written and I LOVED IT. I thought it was a totally natural and believable storyline.

Now for Skate. I just don't see it. Given what I've just said about my prior criteria for ships, I think I deserve a little bit of credit when I say this. Not that I feel that I'm "right" but I do believe that my opinion is not based on anything other than the believability factor. If it was written differently, I don't see why I would have a problem with this ship at all.

I think that Josh and Evie are both attractive, and they look good standing next to each other, but many times when these characters have scenes together, the chemistry seems FORCED. Maybe it's because Sawyer's nature is not to be all goo-goo-eyed and his pickuplines are cheesy as hell. I don't understand WHY she would want to be with him. I can see him being attracted to her, but I don't see him feeling committed to her or even in "love" with her.

So for me the whole thing is just like a lot of crossed wires. It's not realistic to me. I don't think they've really truly connected. Even though they've both acknowledged that they have similar pasts, every time she reaches out and vice versa, they're completely closed off to one another. Surprisingly everyone else seems to think they have a lot of sexual tension, but I don't feel like there's any tension there. It seems like the sexual undertones and overtones they use with one another is just another way to distance themselves from each other. If that makes sense. Sexual tension is traditionally unspoken. With Skate it's upfront, which makes it seem fake.

So yeah, I would have no problem with Skate if it was presented in a believable fashion (in my eyes). But at this point it's reached a level that if they tried to deepen the connection, it would feel like backpeddling to me.

Here's the thing: If I'm taking what the dialogue and show has presented at face value, Sawyer and Kate do share a connection. But it just feels fake to me.
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think that anyone had the guts to do this but then I saw your posts (mainly in the 3x05 episode discussion thread...) and realised KC is not afraid to speak her mind! Which is a good thing. Cos its over the internet. We shouldnt be afraid to speak our minds. Anyways, I agree with what you say. I can't explain why I don't like Skate as much. I just like Jate (even though Skate sounds cooler as a word than Jate does. You know its true). I think it is Bangel/Spuffy all over again for me. I didn't like Spike but I knew why that was, I thought David Boreanaz was hotter. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay hotter. But at least the lines wern't, like you said, cheesy. They were, like you said again, realistic.

I think i'm just one of those viewers who gives into the first ship the writers throw at us. Hence why i'm Jate. But I don't mind some Skate scenes. Some of them are cool. Some. Oh and Kate annoys me in some Skate scenes where as I like her when she is with Jack. I think he changed her personality on the island.

So thanks for this!

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elle! I'm glad you appreciate my chronic foot-in-mouth syndrome. Haha. Seriously though, I'm all about a nice healthy debate. This isn't intended to be a "bash Skate" thread. I was just answering Aislynn's call.

I don't think I'm the kind of person who can't let go of a ship once its been introduced. I liked buffy/angel and buffy/spike, which came later. I loved Pacey/Joey but I also loved Pacey/Andie, which came first. I thought Xander/Cordelia were a riot and I also loved Xander/Anya. And Angel/Cordy would have been great, had it ever happened for real. But sadly it didn't. So yeah, I'm not the kind of fan to just grasp onto the first ship presented. Not by a long shot. Not that there's anything terribly wrong with that. But yeah. CC is another example. Gah. It's so poorly written and unrealistic I wanna shoot someone in the foot.
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC was great in the beginning! Heck I made a video on it!! But then the whole 'Claire hates Charlie' thing happened and that made me think Claire was a total bitch. And then Charlie started screwing up over and OVER again. But some of the CC scenes are sweet, and i'm a hopeless romantic Thats why when some Skate scenes I think 'Awww' but I still remain a Jater in the end.

I know what you mean about loving nearly every ship. Well, I only did that with Buffy. Apart from Spuffy and Angel/Cordy (is there an official shipper name for that? I have never heard it be called something else other than this). But when I watch my old Angel DVDs I have to say, the A/C scenes are pretty realistic. The whole 'secret crush on each other' thing was fun to watch. And the only times they kissed eachother was when they were posessed or they were in a dream! The Office is another example of 'Secret Love'. Tim and Dawn/Jim and Pam. I love the scenes between these guys.

I've got a feeling this thread is going to get a huge reply. You better prepare to start ducking the flying fruit salad Ais will throw when she sees this thread

SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn doesn't throw things. She's a lady.
Spiral Static
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too tired to write a long reply.
That post rocked, though.

Banner By Nokoolaidforme.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly respect your opinion, KC (as I do that of all other shippers, whatever the ship is! ). I just happen to feel 180 degrees opposite of it.

To me, when Sawyer and Kate have scenes together, the air just crackles with chemistry. I understand that you don't see that. Well, to tell you the truth (and I'm totally not bashing Jate, I'm just telling you my own personal opinion), I see absolutely no chemistry between Jack and Kate. I mean zero, zip, nada, nilch. Talk about forced... Oh my stars and garters...!

*ducks flying Jater fruit salad*

It's not that I don't like Jack, I just find Sawyer much, much, MUCH more attractive. *collective "No duh!" is heard throughout the Internet* So naturally, that's going to color the way I see things. I've seen Jack and Kate share a few cute moments (I did really like the scene from the promo for next week that I won't spell out in more detail in case some of y'all haven't seen it and don't want to be spoiled... ). Anyway, if you take everything you just said about what you don't like about Skate and change it to Jate, you've got my exact feelings as well.

And as for what I said earlier, I still hold to that, I really wish that Jaters and Skaters could look at each other as respected rivals. Our goals are different but we should respect the fact that we're both in exactly the same position: we want to see Kate with "our" guy, with whom we feel she not only has great chemistry with but whom we feel she has a deep and abiding love for and who loves her in return. Yet I often feel like many Jaters feel very superior to Skaters, as though we're somehow beneath y'all. I don't usually say anything about it but hey, since we're speaking our minds here and all I'll just lay it on the line for you.

I always try to give 110% respect to other shippers, most especially when it's a ship I don't personally support. I don't ever want to make somebody feel like I'm putting them down or that I'm calling them "stupid" or something for the ship or characters they love. Because I know how that feels when somebody does that to me. (You live long enough *coughcough* and somebody will find a way to insult you or hurt your feelings on just about everything! )

It would just be nice to get some of that respect back, you know? We really ARE all in the same boat: trust me, it's the Law of TV -- never let your characters be happy! If they do put Sawyer and Kate together, it will NEVER last. But, by the same token, if they put Jack and Kate together, trust me, they won't ride off into the Sunset of Eternal Happiness. At least, not for very long. Or unless you get very lucky at the point where they cancel the show or something!

I can remember being a kid and waiting in line for an amusement park ride. My best friend was complaining about how long we were having to wait for the ride to finish for the people on it ahead of us. And I remember wishing the ride would last a long time for them, because I knew that when it was our turn, then the ride would last that same length of time. So I wanted the other people to have a good time, because when it was my turn, I would want that fun time to last as long as possible! I look at shipper stuff that way too. If they give us Jate, then good on for you guys. The Skate will be that much better when it comes around. And I assure you, the reverse is just as true.

[/end long rambling walk down memory lane]

SuperKC wrote:
Aislynn doesn't throw things. She's a lady.

I have been known to throw fruit salad in a VERY lady-like way. Then I make up some nice bowls of fruit salad for everyone and serve them with the beverage of your choice...

Last edited by Aislynn on Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with Ais 100%...Im coming out baby! You got me, okay!

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sniff* This is a great day in Skater history, when teh Ruth finally throws in with the ship; it's just a beautiful thing...

Seriously though, I really hope that I made myself clear that I'm not bashing Jate or anything. I just don't happen to see what you guys see in it but I respect that you guys do see it. All I'm looking for is a little bit of that respect back, not for me personally so much as just for all Skaters and pretty much all shippers out there. If we don't support each other, then who will? There are a LOT of people out there who think ALL shippers are plain nuts!
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
I often feel like many Jaters feel very superior to Skaters, as though we're somehow beneath y'all. I don't usually say anything about it but hey, since we're speaking our minds here and all I'll just lay it on the line for you.

AIS! *gives extreme cuddly-wuddly hug!* I can't speak for any other Jater but I certainly don't feel like I am superior to you. If anything, I feel like Skaters feel superior to Jaters, especially in the past few weeks due to certain circumstances including fish biscuits, cages, and Picket's angry, widowed fists

I've already explained why my heart isn't in Skate so I won't repeat it again. No need.

There is an Arctic Monkeys song that matches this situation here...

I'm such a music nerd

Last edited by IntoTheVoid on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michelina
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Jaters and Skaters can be particularly nasty to each other; it's not just one side who is doing all of the bashing. You get your noble, respective shippers like Aislynn who take your opinion and feelings into consideration, and then you get the shippers who are just cruel and tactless. It's terrible.

ATM, I feel god awful for the Jaters. Some Skaters on LF aren't doing their best to hide their glee gathered from the past five weeks, while Jaters haven't got any interaction as of late (besides that one scene from 3x06). The snark and snipping between both parties is almost unbearable. You'd think that each side represented Jack and Sawyer, and each side is battling for their man/honour as if they WERE Jack and Sawyer. It's funny.

I used to be a diehard Skater, but now I don't really care for who Kate chooses, as long as it sticks for quite awhile. If the aftermath of this choice is just the same as it always has been when it appears like Kate has leaned towards someone, I'll be sorely dissapointed (e.g Sawyer/WKD, where she's googly-eyed around Jack two days later).
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good points everybody (especially Michelina!). I think Im with Ais totally on this- Im not going to be like PISSED if she "chooses" Jack, Ill be happy and move on.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Picket's angry, widowed fists

FOR THE WIN! Widowed fists. Classic!

I hope you include me in the group of respectful fans. I don't think I've ever been nasty to anybody just because of their ship choice. Haha. I don't really participate over at LF anymore. Occasionally I'll log on, but I stopped participating over there a LONG time ago. But I do see how the shippers are kind of evil over there. EEEEEEEVIL!

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree about the chemistry thing. I don't know why. I just don't buy sawyer/kate chemistry. I find myself rolling my eyes more than anything.

I feel like sometimes the tension between Jack and Kate is just TANGIBLE. Unspoken, but very much there. To me, that's sexy. Maybe I just dig subtlety.

I love you Aislynn. You're awesome. Sawlynn forever.

Last edited by SuperKC on Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
Quote:
Picket's angry, widowed fists

FOR THE WIN! Widowed fists. Classic!

SuperKC wrote:
I hope you include me in the group of respectful fans.

Me too. I was just explaining on why I didn't find Skate appealing. But I know a fair amount of viewers do and I respect that, as long as you respect our opinions too.

harpreetd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the Jack/Kate chemistry thing, and not the Sawyer/Kate connection. Sawyer and Kate seems forced and akward soo many times. The hidden feeling that surrounds Jack/Kate is the passion that love needs between 2 individuals. I just think when Kate is with Sawyer she doesn't get to "awaken" herself, but when she's with Jack it seems as if she wants to grow and it makes me happy.

With Sawyer, she seems to not want to change and she brings more sadness to herself. Quite frankly, I think she only hurts herself with Sawyer.

With Jack, she tries to change herself for the better, and I love Kate when she is with Jack. She becomes a totally different person, and it makes sense because when they are together, it makes her soo happy. I want Kate to be really happy, but she has to be with Jack for that to happen.

Now this is coming from a LOST fan that isn't obsessive over ships.. I'm only speaking my mind and offering my opinion and perspective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: