Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Reply with quote

Perfect. I thought this film was masterfully executed and captured the spirit of the books perfectly.

I have no idea why it's getting mediocre reviews from critics. IMO best movie experience of the year, right up there with Sin City.

what did you guys think?
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it. But those previews are scaring me because they don't quite look like they fit the theme I think of when I think about the book.
You know what's funny? you mention that the reviews are mediocre, but just this morning i read the preview picture and it boasts "Critics around the universe are raving for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!" LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'm seeing some pretty stupid reviews at ROTTEN TOMATOES and Metacritic.

If you haven't seen it yet I'll just say: don't expect a carbon copy of the book(s), it's different - but it's genius. Adams himself wrote the screenplay - it just molds the story into a more moive-friendly narative. I loved it so much. I was worried going in but in my opinion it does everything right - and it is no easy task to make this kind of comedy work.

oh and loving british pythonish humor and Henson muppets don't hurt.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because I never finished the book, but I didn't totally love this movie. I thought it was good, but some parts of it were just too far out there for me, and it felt like the whole movie went by at like, super-speed.

Sam Rockwell is one of the funniest guys alive. I swear to God, I loved watching him in this movie. Zaphod is soo full of himself and brainless! Thumbs up to him.

ChicaFrom3
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, I really enjoyed the movie. Was amused by the fact that I was the only one in the theater who brought a towel along.

However, there were definite disappointments. Most of the disappointments were small and forgivable--omissions of my favorite jokes, like

"You know, it's times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse about to die in the vacuum of space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what'd she tell you?"
"I don't know, I never listened."

and

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find the plans."
"That's the display area."
"With a flashlight."
"Oh, well, the lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But look, the point is you found the plans, right?"
"Yes. Yes, I did. They were in the bottom drawer of a locked file cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware the Leopard.""

Again, small and forgiveable disappointments.

My biggest disappointment, though, was the decision to make Trillian/Arthur a major subplot. I'm not fond of Trillian/Arthur; I infinitely prefer Trillian/Zaphod, which is the direction the books themselves leaned in. Trillian always seemed to find Arthur rather dull and predictable, and I wish the movie had let her stay with Zaphod.

But for the most part, I really like this movie. And I sass that hoopy Ford Prefect.

sig by niki blue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: