Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discuss: Has "LOST gone too far?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Discuss: Has "LOST gone too far? Reply with quote

I didnt actually start thinking about this topic until my mom and I were watching "Every Man for Himself". She says

"This show isnt fun anymore. Its horrible to watch." Now usually my mom has these kind of comments, and regardless, I would keep watching the show (Council duty ). But it DID get me thinking about the topic: has LOST gone too far? Has the nerve-racking episodes a little too much? I know last week, if I had a pulse monitor on, it would have through the roof.

I dont actually feel exactly like they have, but this kind of nervousness is nauseating to me. Last week was horrible...and this week with the
Spoiler:

impending death speculated- I dont think it will be Sawyer, however, or Kate, I think a TON of people *myself probably included* would stop watching. I would feel its a cowards way out of hvaing to make "the choice".

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel like I personally want to give up on it yet, but, strangely enough, my mom just gave up on it as well. (Must be a Mom thing? )

She actually stopped watching 2 eps ago... It wasn't so much that there were going to be upcoming torture scenes with Sawyer (she IS the Original Raving Sawyerette, you know... ) but as she said, she's tired of watching a show that feels like it's going nowhere verrrrrrrry sloooooooowly. She's sick of not getting any answers and feeling like the writers are dinking the viewers around. That's me badly paraphrasing the reasons she gave me, BTW.

Anyway, my new instructions are to tell her what happens with Sawyer and show her any pertinent Skate moments. Other than that, she just doesn't care anymore.

Spoiler:

Honestly, I think the thing with killing off main characters has gone too far. Killing Boone was for shock value, proving that "no one is safe." Killing Shannon just felt like a slightly desperate way to prove they're "edgy" or something. Killing Ana and Libby felt like a convenient way to get rid of some "problem" actresses and I don't care how many times TPTB try to deny it... Killing any more major characters just makes me wonder why TPTB are determined to keep alienating big chunks of their fanbase. Because ALL of the main characters have fanbases!

Yeah, people will tune in to watch nervously to see if "their" character is going to make it unscathed. Then I think the fans of that doomed character will then tune out for good when their guy/gal bites the dust. Because now it just feels like TPTB just don't care about their loyal viewers. When all is said and done, we want to see our beloved characters survive against all odds. If we want tragedy and realism, we'll turn off the TV and take a look around at our real lives...

cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sawyer torturing was way too much. I don't think I could take another instance of Sawyer being used as a punching bag anymore.

Spoiler:

As for the speculated death, I know who it is and from what I understand, the actor is leaving because he/she wants to leave and because of some conflicts with at least one other cast-member. And I think the writers also care about the original losties... that's one of the reason they brought in the talies... so they could kill people without affecting the original castmember. Appart from Shannon, of course.

Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cylune wrote:
Spoiler:

As for the speculated death, I know who it is and from what I understand, the actor is leaving because he/she wants to leave and because of some conflicts with at least one other cast-member. And I think the writers also care about the original losties... that's one of the reason they brought in the talies... so they could kill people without affecting the original castmember. Appart from Shannon, of course.

*gasp* Who? Who? Who? [/owl voice] If you don't want to say here, PM me! *is dying to know and hates being surprised with these things*
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read any of those spoilers you guys just posted and I haven't seen 3x04 yet, but I personally think the show keeps getting better and that it's going at a steady pace. It did go downhill around episode 2x04 to 2x06, but then it picked right back up again and IMO there's only been one bad ep since then (2x16...horrible ).

My own mum likes the show but I wouldn't say that's a good thing. She totally doesn't get the point of the show. And over-reacts to everything that happens. And always assumes something when there's no answer yet, and quickly decides her assumption is definetly the answer.

If you think the show's going downhill, I challenge you to give me a reason that I can't argue with.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcus wrote:
If you think the show's going downhill, I challenge you to give me a reason that I can't argue with.

That's kinda tricky if we can't talk about spoilers or anything that happened in the last ep...

Oh but I wanted to add that I don't think the show is necessarily going downhill myself. That was my mom's opinion. I've really enjoyed getting to see the Others in action (mmm, creepy Ben stuff... Not as good as creepy Ethan but will do in a pinch... ) and I've been MUCH more pleased with this year's start than last, simply because Sawyer and Kate are together, rather than separated for as long as they were last season.
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:

Spoiler:

Yeah, people will tune in to watch nervously to see if "their" character is going to make it unscathed. Then I think the fans of that doomed character will then tune out for good when their guy/gal bites the dust. Because now it just feels like TPTB just don't care about their loyal viewers. When all is said and done, we want to see our beloved characters survive against all odds. If we want tragedy and realism, we'll turn off the TV and take a look around at our real lives...

I don't want to give up on it, either, but...

Spoiler:

BOTH of my favorite characters (ie, Shannon and Boone) have already been wasted. I was pretty happy to see Ana go, but the point of Libby was beyond me, other than, as you said, to get rid of "problem" actresses. I'm pretty close to giving up on this show for good...the two other characters I actually like are Charlie and Claire and they're almost never on screen. I know that I'm probably going to get stoned alive for this but...

I'm sick of Jack.
I'm sick of Sawyer.
and I'm sick to death of Kate.

Kill them; let them live. Keep them in captivity; let them escape. At this point, I don't even care. I just wish that Kate would just have sex with one of them and then maybe we could move forward with the show's plotline (if there is one -- I'm starting to be not so sure... ), because I'm really over the snail-like timeline just so we can see each and every thing that happens to the three of them. I understand their the main main characters, but I know that I'm not the only one out there that favors another character (or two or three...), so...like, can we throw people like me a bone, too, once in a damn while, JJ/Damon?

...Also, to the ACTUAL question posed for this thread: yes. My friend Danelle has to cover her eyes for half of the episodes (mostly out of pure stress for the characters! ) and I'm cringing, too. I've never had a problem with violence, gore, sex, or, actually, anything that's normally controversial in the media, but really...it's starting to get old and it's also starting to seem pointless to the plot. What significance to the plot could
Spoiler:

beating the living hell out of Sawyer every episode

possibly have, ya know?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to get pretty sick of what they're doing to Sawyer actually. Are they trying to turn him into a nice guy? Or trying to keep him badass? MAKE YOUR MINDS UP TPTB!!!!!!!

*ducks flying objects from Sawyerettes*

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
Shankle
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looooooved the idea of sawyer being tortured and threatening to do the same to kate but i thought they did it quite poorly. Shaking bunnies to death? Exploding hearts? wtf?!! And as for the "heart wrenching scene" they promised where kate 'declares her love' for sawyer, I was barely stirred. It was a bit clumsy if you ask me.

Season 3 is definitely missing something. I found episode 3 a disappointment right from the promo. Sure I was starting to get sick of season 2 locke but I don't want some corny promo telling me "he's back!". I don't want the old locke, i want a new locke, because I've already seen old locke. His flashback was a bit pathetic really as well, and I just don't get why Eko needed to get captured by a bear (without losing any limbs of course) and why locke needed to go on a thouroughly underwhelming rescue attempt. How quickly was that over?

Episode 2 i have mixed feelings about. I enjoyed seeing Sun in a different light, but they did that with the first flashback, they didn't need to drive it home throughout the rest of the episode. I was thrilled to see Sun shoot the other

The only thing so far that I LOVED was locke's spirit quest. More stuff like that pleaaase!!

What does everyone think of desmond this season?

*hearts* Aislynn, Kaja, Rachel and Steph
*Rips whatzit"
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Im so happy I got a good discussion going here!

Quote:
Spoiler:

Honestly, I think the thing with killing off main characters has gone too far. Killing Boone was for shock value, proving that "no one is safe." Killing Shannon just felt like a slightly desperate way to prove they're "edgy" or something. Killing Ana and Libby felt like a convenient way to get rid of some "problem" actresses and I don't care how many times TPTB try to deny it... Killing any more major characters just makes me wonder why TPTB are determined to keep alienating big chunks of their fanbase. Because ALL of the main characters have fanbases!

I feel the same way (as usual when it comes to Aislynn ). Boone dying was horrible to me, but I understood the "no one is safe" thing. But I think killing people has become "the norm" for the show. And thats boring.

As for Sawyer- Im really sick of seeing him get his ass kicked. We ALL get it, ok? I think ANY bad karma the boy had when he came here, has been revisited- leave him alone now, damn! I remember saying back in Season 1- the solution to any problem then was- "lets blame Sawyer! Lets punch him in the face!". Season 2 was "lets all scowl at Sawyer- but oh gosh darn hes so cute and likable!". Now again, Season 3 was "lets kick the CRAP out of Sawyer! Sometimes for no reason!"

My sister calls every commercial break, and I feel like I have to defend the show or something- I dont know any more than they do!

Quote:
The only thing so far that I LOVED was locke's spirit quest. More stuff like that pleaaase!!

I liked the spirit quest, I really did...it was good to see Boone again. He was all confident- completley the Christ-like figure of the show. It was refreshing. But the rest of it, the bears et al, was a huge "huh?".

Quote:
What does everyone think of desmond this season?

Im digging him. Hes interesting. And Im not being able to stand Charlie a lot more this season.

Shankle
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocksiren wrote:
Im not being able to stand Charlie a lot more this season.

Yeah but remember what Boone said. They'll be alright. For a while.

*hearts* Aislynn, Kaja, Rachel and Steph
*Rips whatzit"
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to killing off characters, no I don't think they are going too far.

TPTB can't make a poll every week to ask "which character would you like killed off next?" to suit the fanbases. I'm sorry, but it can't be done. Most likely, Jack, Kate, and Sawyer will stay, because their fanbases are WAAAY higher than the others I think.

This is a show, and it has to at least look half-real, and the island is dangerous. There are people who would kill, steal babies, there are polar bears, there is big ol' Smokie, then there is just the natural surviving on an island dilemna. TPTB can't just say "Well Boone was supposed to get killed, but since the fanbase is too big we're gonna have to let him live" That's unfair to the writers and to the show.

The constant answered questions with more questions thing does yes get annoying, but that has been the way they've done it from day one. I think if you're able to go two seasons with it, you can go three too. That's just the way the show is. If they answered all the questions, then what would happen? Nothing, there would be nothing left to ask, and nothing left to watch the show for.

If all questions were answered, then it would become a show about a bunch of people on an island, relationship drama and the like, making it too much like survivor for my tastes. The show would probably be cancelled then. If all my questions were answered for me, I wouldn't have a show to watch anymore. I'd simply go "Okay, they answered my question, I'll go watch MTV now" It would be boring to have all questions answered without creating more questions.

This is not your run of the mill drama or reality show. This one has mystery and science fiction, which makes it different from the rest. Perhaps that's why people stop watching. It has been a long while since a show like this has been on the air, and since then, it's been nothing but Desperate Housewives, Big Brother, Amazing Race, and Survivor. We're not used to having such a show with so many questions, and I think that's why people get frustrated.

My mom still watches the show, and is still interested, as am I. I'm okay with not having my questions answered just yet, I'm a patient person, and I watch the show for the show and the entertainment it brings me. If noone else does, that's fine, whatever floats their boats, but I'm not going to stop, and no, not even if Kate, Jack, or Sawyer gets killed off. If a person just watched the show for one character and one character only, I guess they weren't interested in the show to begin with. No offense, but that's how it is. If you watch a baseball game for one player, because he's hot or something, then you're not watching the game, you're just watching that person, and that's the comparison I make. I love Sawyer, I love watching him, but I wouldn't quit if he was dead. I watch for storylines, mystery, science fiction, and just the feel of the show. I'm a true fan and it sucks to see that this show is losing so many fans because they can't have their answers right now. Patience is a virtue.
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, okay!

I am saying SOME of the questions could be answered...as annoying as X-Files was, we did get answers (even if they were "little" answers) along the way. And of course, everyone knows my BSg thing, that they are afraid to wrap things up and move on.

And just because I "made it" through season 2, doesnt mean I have to do ANYTHING for season 3. I could just stop watching, and like Aislynn does for her mom, she could fill me in on anything pertinent. But then I thought, what would Wedensday night be without my laughing and yelling at the TV?

mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocksiren wrote:
Damn, okay!

I am saying SOME of the questions could be answered...as annoying as X-Files was, we did get answers (even if they were "little" answers) along the way. And of course, everyone knows my BSg thing, that they are afraid to wrap things up and move on.

And just because I "made it" through season 2, doesnt mean I have to do ANYTHING for season 3. I could just stop watching, and like Aislynn does for her mom, she could fill me in on anything pertinent. But then I thought, what would Wedensday night be without my laughing and yelling at the TV?

I'm 100% with you. I don't mean for EVERY question to be answered, either, because then, yeah, why bother continuing to watch, but I think that instead of just continually adding more and more questions and NEVER answering ANY...how about a fair trade off of "here's your answer for this, now you should wonder about THIS...dumdumDUUUUUUUMMMMM...." ya know? It's just starting to get a little annoying and it's like what if Lost gets cancelled prematurely for some reason or another (yeah, it's happened to other shows, and as far as I'm concerned, no show is ever SAFE from this, no matter what it's fanbase is like. Depends on a LOT of things whether or not a show stays on the air, not just ratings.) then we're NEVER going to get our answers and that'll leave a LOT of fans with a sour taste in their mouth about the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocksiren wrote:
Damn, okay!

Whoa whoa WHOA, I wasn't ragging on anyone okay? I was discussing this, and that's my take on it. What I don't get is why everyone wants answers now now now when we're only coming up on the 5th episode of the season. Like I said in my last post, you're entitled to feel the way you do, you are the viewer. My post was just my opinion and my discussion on how I MYSELF feel about it. Please don't take offense, it's only an opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: