Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Michelle Rodirguez a regular??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'm giving her a chance. I'm giving her a chance everyday. But I'm still waiting for that chance to be used properly too soon in the season to tell anyway... I just dislike her more for the fact thaat there are ALREADY Ana-Lucia fans when she's shown nothing whatsoever et all loving AND hating should be reserved to... say.... episode 12 of this season
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just dislike her more for the fact thaat there are ALREADY Ana-Lucia fans when she's shown nothing whatsoever

That's funny because I was a Kate fan as soon as I saw her on screen with Jack. I was a fan of Jack as soon as he came on screen. I was a fan of Sawyer from the moment I saw him and even a bigger fan after I saw the dimples...lol. So why can't myself or someone like me be a Ana-Lucia fan after having seen her in the flashback or in the bits we've got this season? I'll admit I'm an Ana-Lucia fan already and while I'm a Jater I think it'll be fun to see the quad that goes on between Jack, Kate, Ana-Lucia, and Sawyer. I think to many people are judging the character because of the actress and vice versa which isn't fair.

This is my future field of work and I would hope that fans of any shows I do would give the actors I pick a solid chance without judging by what they did before. I also hope those same fans won't hold the character responsible if they don't like the actor. I trust JJ so believe that he has a plan for the character.

And do I have to remind everyone that this is JJ we're talking about so don't make any assumptions about this character or this show because 9 times out of 10 there is going to be a curve ball that none of us could have predicted.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With instant love of a character comes instant dislike. You can't have just one or the other. Ana Lucia's gonna have to earn my love. But J.J. hasn't screwed up once yet, I've loved every one of them, it just takes time... just like how everyone hated Boone and Shannon from the start, but then by Boone's episode they were much more appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can have instant dislike but usually that insant dislike comes from people judging the character by the choice of actor which I don't like. I think it's an insult to the writer/director/casting agent for that to happen and to me that is unacceptable. I started off liking Locke but grew to dislike the character but I still love Terry O'Quinn as an actor and hell even as the character. I can seperate actor from character and character from actor but the people that can't bother me. They are just paying the bills like the rest of us and by some people saying this person doesn't deserve to be the character it's almose like they are saying that person doesn't have the right to pay their own bills. All unacceptable in my eyes.

So while people do start off disliking a character I will never be one to support that kind of reaction. All I ask is no one dislike a character for casting or an actor for a character and unfortunately that happens all the time. It also happens when established characters are written off and new characters are introduced. I just hope that people will think twice before judging characters on actors and actors on characters.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...
Now, it is quite obviously wrong to judge an actor AS A PERSON based on the character they portray. The only people who do this are people that can't seperate reality from fiction.

Likewise, it's USUALLY wrong to judge a character based on the actor AS A PERSON. I say usually because, lets face it, nobody's watching the 1000th Pauly Shore movie saying... maybe this time he'll get it right. Unfortunatly, we only have so much time to spend watching movies and so one can only afford to give an actor so many chances. But usually it's wrong since sometimes an actor you didn't like before will suprise you.

That said, I have no problem judging a character on the actor's acting ability/ acting style. An actors job is to take a written character and bring it to life. That means use their whole being to portray that character. Some people do this better than others. Granted, "better" is relative since this really is a grey area - everyone reacts differently to different acting styles. But it's the consumers job to decide if they like it or not!

You can't just say 'it's their job, thats how they pay the bills, give them a break'. Would you say that to any other worker who didn't perform their job to your satisfaction? Its like saying "my Financial Advisor just lost all the $ i entrusted him with to make wise investments and now i'm screwed. ...but he's got kids to feed and hes doing his job the best he can so I'll forgive him." No way. He is fired and you get someone who does the job better. I think u see where i'm coming from.

My point is, if you've watched Michelle Rodreguizes act in anything before, it's impossible not to have a bias. No matter what you thought of the characters she was portraying, you have a sence of her acting style. And you are perfectly within your limits to have expectations of her, good or bad. ANd after you watch a good deal of on Lost, you are completly free to say: I dislike Michelle Rodriquez's job performance and i think she should be 'voted of the island'.

wow. what a cheesy way to end such a convincing rant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: