Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Departed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: The Departed Reply with quote

Wow this movie rocked like woah.
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it did. I thought I would be really bored and restless in the theater watching a gritty kind of cop gun movie like this, but it kept me glued with every single bit of dialogue, every scene, every shot there was new and interesting information to be told. I had to go to the bathroom once and tried to wait it out for a while. But thankfully I didn't miss too much when I left.

And I'm surprised at myself for liking Leo DiCaprio. His acting was totally superb, and he seemed more convincing and believable than even in The Aviator. Matt Damon and the rest were great to. Mark Wahlberg made me hate his character so much, but in a like/hate sort of way because I knew there was something else under those intense, constant insults.

I'd have to watch this again and again in order to understand all of what was going on though. I get the gist of the plot now, but still kind of gobsmacked.

sig by IslandofMystery
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the original Hong Kong movie. I'm going to see itlike tomorrow night or tonight...maybe

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found DiCaprio to be a bit underrated. He still gets a LOT of shit for his Titanic "teengirl hearthrob" image. But if you look through his work he's always been a good performer. Just look at Gilbert Grape and some of the other stuff he's done so early in his career. His character was clearly our moral guidepost, but his performance really outshined the rest of the cast. And it is a REALLY GREAT CAST!

Although I find Matt Damon to be just as cardboard as ever. He was okay in this but still stiff. He's what I think of as a "face" actor, haha.

But yeah, the whole cast was great. DiCaprio standing out bigtime. Wahlberg's character was hilarious with his toughguy pottymouthing. But I wanted to CUT HIS DAMN HAIR in the whole movie. It was SO BAD! AH!

I want to see it again. Haha.

Scorcese is NOT one of my favorite directors by a long shot. I don't generally like his work. I hated Gangs of New York. But this was top notch. First good movie I've seen since Little Miss Sunshine.
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see this film. But since i'm not 18 yet, I have to wait for the DVD release. Maybe I should just go and watch Titanic over and over and over and over and over again Cos i'm one of those teenage girl worshipers of Leo

I loved him in Romeo + Juliet too. He's a fine actor

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you get someone older to take you to see it? Like a sibling or a parent? I always went to R movies when I was younger haha.

I've always thought he was good. I thought Titanic was one of his weakest roles. But unforunately because of the massive success of the film, it was also his most notorious. I was never all fangirl over him, but always thought he was a good actor. (Let me remind you that I liked guys like William Fichter, Liev Schreiber, & Vince Vaughn - before the slapstick)

I just watched R+J the other day on television again. I was a huge Shakespeare fan when I was a teen. Had all the tragedies and read them for "fun." Haha. So naturally when R+J came out when I was in high school it was one of my favorites. I thought that movie surpassed a lot of adaptations because while it still used the language, the director managed to make it fluid. Comedy, emotion. It was all there. The language was ALIVE. I absolutely hate it when someone's performing Shakespeare and it sounds like they're reading it to you. Yuck. Nothing's more boring! And none did better than Leo at making it real. Even with Baz's great direction, a few of the performances in that movie fell short. But DiCaprio was incredible in that film. If you watch it again and really focus on his performance, especially the scene where Tybalt challenges him, and events following.

By the way, nobody cries like Claire Danes. Igby Goes Down, ShopGirl, R+J, there's just a gutteral heartbreaking honest sound to her cry.

But back to the Departed. Yes. What an amazing movie. So good. Wish there were more like it.
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
Can't you get someone older to take you to see it? Like a sibling or a parent? I always went to R movies when I was younger haha.

Nah - in the UK you have to be 18 or over to see an 18, no exeptions I got into a 15 when I was 13 though! Suckers...

SuperKC wrote:
If you watch it again and really focus on his performance, especially the scene where Tybalt challenges him, and events following.

I know! Especially afterwards when he kills Tybalt - I think the line is '' ...or both must go with him'' or something like that - I was just like Duuuuuuuuuude.

SuperKC wrote:
By the way, nobody cries like Claire Danes. Igby Goes Down, ShopGirl, R+J, there's just a gutteral heartbreaking honest sound to her cry.

Yes! So true. I think from when she was to marry Paris and onwards, all she was doing was crying! Oh and being ''dead'' n all

I think I might get The Departed on a pirate copy. I mean... wait for the DVD realease so I can buy it and enjoy it legally

SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I JUST watched it a few days ago I can safely say that the line is "either thou or I or both must go with him." That's a killer scene. No pun intended.

Haha Pirate away! I like pirates. ARGH! Let me know what you think after you see it.
LadySnow
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it was amazing. Really amazing. And the ending PERFECT.
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to see it again before it leaves theaters around here.
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it! Great movie. I still like the original better though. KC you should definitely try tosee the original. The remake has better ending though.

Oh and Wahlberg rocks.

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARgh still haven't gone to see it. We went to see Jackass Number Two and there was a preview for it....and I MELTED when I heard someone doing a cover of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb as that's one of my all-time favorite songs. The movie looks excellent, and though I've never really admitted it....I love Leo...and yes, he was awesome in Romeo and Juliet as well as Titanic.
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooangeliceviloo wrote:
I love Leo...and yes, he was awesome in Romeo and Juliet as well as Titanic.

One of us!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: