Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: What are you reading? Reply with quote

With Lost, work, vidding, and prowling these boards daily, one might think you have no time for hobbies such as reading, but I do.

So the question is, what are you reading right now? Is it fantastic or horrible? Do you recommend it?

Because I have Adult ADD (undiagnosed) I'm in the middle of several books at the moment, (Devil's Knot: the True Story of the West Memphis Three by Mara Leveritt, the Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto "Che" Guevara, and Practical Demon-Keeping by Christopher Moore). However, I'm actually reading one currently, instead of simply keeping a bookmark in it.

It's called Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and it is by Jonathan Safran Foer.

It's the story of a precocious boy named Oskar Schell who's father died in the 9/11 attacks. A year later he finds a key belonging to his father and decides to go on this journey to discover what it opens - a journey on which he meets quite a few eccentric characters. The author has a kind of offbeat and somewhat non-linear storytelling style. It's pretty comedic throughout, but oddly and intensely touching at moments.

I love it, but as with the first book I read of his, Everything is Illuminated, I can honestly say it's not for everyone. But unfortunately, the only way to tell whether or not its your kind of story is to attempt to read it, haha. So I'd suggest going here: http://www.theprojectmuseum.com/share/chapterone.htm

You can read the entire first chapter of the book there.

ETA: I'm also reading the latest issue of Budget Travel! It's a page turner!
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV Guide from last week. Its on my toilet.

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ChicaFrom3
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, my main read is "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. It's a very slow read, but, heck...it's Ayn Rand!

Admittedly, one of the reasons it's a slow read may be because I'm also reading other books on the side. Currently I'm embroiled in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind--it's wonderful fantasy and I simply can't put the books down. I'm borrowing the books off a friend of mine and just turned book 5 back into her today, so tomorrow I should get my hands on book 6!

I recommend "Atlas Shrugged" only if you're really really into the classics and philosophy and so on. I recommend The Sword of Truth series (first book: "Wizard's First Rule") to any fantasy readers.

sig by niki blue
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the slow read because you're reading a dozen other things at once reasoning. I myself have not read Atlas Shrugged but I have a friend who was reading it a while back and he also commented on how slow it seemed - so maybe it's not just you! Haha.
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l'm reading Stephen King's Misery at the moment. lt's pretty much the same as the movie so far but then again l'm only like halfway through it. After that one's finished l told JakeNRoland that l'm gonna start on the Dark Tower books. They're his favourite and he really recomends that l read them. l really like supernatural and mysterious kinds of books. Books that don't always have explanations are my fav.
l recommend reading Stephen King's "It" "Dreamcactcher" and "Desperation"
Other novels l loved: Dennis Lehanes "Mystic River" ten times better then the movie.
James A. Moore's "Under The Overtree"
Dean Koontz's "Strangers"
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly_baby84 wrote:
Dean Koontz's "Strangers"

That's a good one. "Lightning" is equally, well no, for my money better. Same author.

Dark Tower series folks. Come on. Everyone on the band wagon. Okay, so it appears I'm the only one on the wagon. But have I not been right before? Carnivale? Come on!!

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BA5763
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very true Jake...

Currently, I haven't had that much time for ANY reading. Recently, as in around last christmas, I finished White Oleander (yes, much much much better than the film, although Michelle Pfieffer was damn creepy), and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy as a book, including appendisssisssisssEES. That took absolutely forever, and call me a kid at heart, come July I WILL put time aside to read HP6, mostly cause they're addicting. I actually wasn't gonna read it, but my mom convinced me too (am I digging a hole here or what?)

Ok, I'm done rambling
B
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can find me a free audio book for darktower that I can download, Jake, I'll follow your bandwagon anywhere
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Hobbes.

I finished my book yesterday... while at work. That is so bad. (Though, I guess, in comparison to what some other people do at work, it's not too bad.)

It was great and it made me cry - though saying that makes it sound like its some cheesy romance novel or something. I do have to say this book had much more of a defined ending than Foer's other book did, even though I loved that one just as much. But definately not your typical "ending," which would have disappointed me.

So I'm moving on with finishing Practical Demon-Keeping by Christopher Moore. He's hilarious, if you haven't heard of him.

He's written other books such as, The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, Bloodsucking Fiends, Fluke (or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings), The Island of the Sequined Love Nun, and The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove.

I haven't read them all, but I've read some and they are funny and good. So there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: