Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comments/Critisism please :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrincessSparkle
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Comments/Critisism please :) Reply with quote

I submitted a vid called Praise You...it didn't get a silver or gold which I get cause it isn't that good. lol. But I'd really appreciate any critisism or comments that'll make my next vid better So if you can, have a look at it and comment Thanks
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my review on your vid. It's all constructive criticism only, so please don't feel offended by anything I say.

A big problem with the vid is the song itself, to tell you the truth.
Don't get me wrong, I like Fat Boy Slim and the song is ok, too, but the lyrics are repeated all over again. All you really have is this bit:

We've come a long long way together,
Through the hard times and the good,
I have to celebrate you baby,
I have to praise you like I should

I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you like I should

That's not a lot to work with, unfortunately.
A song as simple as this one is a bit risky because the vid might get kinda boring just because of the lyrics.

Another point is that you've been repeating certain C/C moments several times and you've been using almost only the "popular" C/C scenes. Both things can have the effect that the viewer might think "I've seen this so many times before".

Third point: more beat use! If you adjust your clips to the beat of a song, you can even make great vids to songs that have no lyrics at all.

So, summing things up, these are my little suggestions:
1.) For your next vid, try to find a song with a little bit more complex lyrics. As a vidder you need some stuff you can "play with" if you know what I mean. Saying this, I don't necessarily mean that the song has to be very poetic or so, but a song like "Praise you" where the lyrics are repeated all over can ruin the best vid, IMO.
2.) Pay attention to the beat and adjust your clips to it.
3.) Try to vary the clips you're using, try to not repeat them and try to use some clips that haven't been used many, many times before.

I hope that was at least a bit helpful.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karolina, I totally agree. When I first started making vids, I wasnt very in-tune with ceratin aspects of the art of vidding. When I look back at some of my first vids I cringe because now I can pick out all the mistakes I made. It took me months to fine-tune myself with vidding. Now I'm more comfortable making a vid because I'm a little more aware thanks to friendly advice and observing other peoples work here at LVI.

So, basically, you can only get better with time and practice. The best thing to start with is your own creativity and if you have that, then it's easy after that point. All the other stuff is just details and can be sharpened up.
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan4Lost wrote:
When I first started making vids, I wasnt very in-tune with ceratin aspects of the art of vidding.

*lol*
Same with me. I watched one of my very first vids a few days ago ("Have a little faith in me") and I was shocked when I saw how bad that thing is. Hardly any beat use and it has those super sloooooow-mo clips. MEH!

And yes, I totally agree with you: All you really need is time and practice. The biggest mistake you can make is to produce as many vids as possible per month for the mere sake of publishing them and getting some comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: