Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
I'm assuming you've emailed E already? lol. Who leaves their computer for this long...? hmmmmmmmmm maybe E is dead! *SHOCK!* or maybe I should seek psychiatric help!

and did you ask those ipowerweb guys what's up?

Let's not even joke about anything happening to Enchirito. Do you realize how frigged we'd be without him ? Okay, sorry moment of panic over.

Have you ever seen that commercial with that guy and the monkeys in the office and every customer that calls gets told "no" and the opperators are useless? Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if that was an accurate portrayl of opperator offices that you have to talk to for help .

So yes I did ask them what was up but they didn't provide me with anything of use other then to direct me to an e-mail that is 7 hours and running without a reply to the e-mail I sent them.

Can anyone else tell that our server isn't my favorite thing today .

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked ipowerweb's acceptable use policy AUP and the ONLY thing I found that referred to CPU was the following:

Quote:
b. Post messages or software programs that consume excessive CPU time or storage space;

Here's that link: http://ipowerweb.com/company/legal/legal_usage.html

Obviously, it would log if you were using too much space or more than your allotted space. So I'm guessing it's the time thing? That seems like bull to me. But then again, I don't understand how this works. on their end entirely. You'd think "time" wouldn't be an issue, but maybe it is...
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since when has TIME been an issue for servers? do they mean the TIME that bittorrent downloads take from the servers or something...? That COULD make sense...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
since when has TIME been an issue for servers? do they mean the TIME that bittorrent downloads take from the servers or something...? That COULD make sense...

I fthat's the case then we'd have to go back to hosting them on the site and fighting bandwidth. In other words if any of you come across alternative ways to download videos please let us know.

Hobbes, any clue if Enchirito is out of town or something this weekend? He's usually always around but I haven't seen him on the board or IM in a few days.

www.lostvideo.net
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Time. It seems strange that this would be a big issue. That's like saying, "even though you pay for this site and you aren't using all of your space OR bandwidth, you just can't use it "all the time?" It doesn't make sense to me still. If it was something measurable, then why wouldn't they just give you a limit, just as they give you a limit on bandwidth and space?

I'm so confused - my brain hurts.
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
I'm so confused - my brain hurts.

Welcome to the club . Damn rules and regulations.

www.lostvideo.net
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've not checked the site in a couple days.

god dammit.

Well, I think SuperKC is right.
Quote:
b. Post messages or software programs that consume excessive CPU time or storage space;

Basically, 'excessive CPU time' means programs running under our account (the BT client that is seeding our torrents) is using the server machine's processor too much. I guess that's why people pay more for dedicated servers.

If the above assumtions are correct, this probably just means we can't have the BT client running (so no more server seeded torrents). Just having a tracker WILL NOT use excessive CPU time. If our vdeck and FTP accounts weren't disabled I could do something about this but until we have some contact from the ISP we're stuck.
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so there's no way we could work around that? or is it just the part about us hosting the bittorrent files ON the server (i.e. Which is the problem? "Hobbes's hosting hut", "Server torrents LVI", or both?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only server seeded torrents should cause excessive CPU time. So HHH is not the problem. only the server seeded ones. So, again if my assumtions are correct, we should be able to keep the trackers going - just have to stop server seeding them.
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that shouldn't be too bad. Those server seeds are more of a precaution...
however, the bittorrent videos are already horribly slow, and with this added fact.... I don't know.... What we really need is more seeders out there helping out, and we just don't have that...
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I think we need to find an altrenative to torrents because if that is the problem it has succeded in giving me one great big headache today. But this could just be coming from the fact that I'm a bit frustrated that over 12 hours after contacting our service provider I know no more then I did when I found this message when I woke up today. I'm telling you all it's damn monkeys running these places you have to contact for help .

If they ever get back in contact with me so we can rectify the situation we will be back up just as soon as possible.

www.lostvideo.net
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very annoying that we probably got shut down by an automated process set off by us using too much CPU time on our server. And now we're helpless to do anything about it, and there's nobody there to tell us how to fix it.

Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally, I have no practical advice or solutions to offer about any of this. Just wanted to post to show my sympathy for all the crap you guys are going through! I mean, it would be one thing if LVI was your job and you got paid to deal with these hassles. But I'm extremely aware that this site (lumping together the vid site and this forum board into one for a moment) is just a big labor of love for you all. Unfortunately the emphasis has really been on LABOR today, huh? So sorry to hear it.

It's a kinda scary thought to think that the torrents have been the cause of this. Because, despite the fact that I can't see any torrent vids, I've been glad that they've provided a great deal of relief for the bandwidth problem. I liked the idea that we, as vidders, didn't really have to worry so much that asking LVI to host our vids was going to bring the entire thing crashing down! So if it goes back like it was before the torrents, then non-torrenters will be able to see the vids again, but no doubt the number of vids you can host will have to be severely capped. Unless another solution is found, of course.

Anyway, will send up a prayer for y'all (when you're dealing with Tech Support Monkeys, you need all the help you can get! ). Hope this gets resolved soon, if only for your sanity's sake!

Again, sorry to all for your collectively awful day. Much hope that tomorrow will bring some quick answers and simple solutions.

~Aislynn
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Anyway, will send up a prayer for y'all (when you're dealing with Tech Support Monkeys, you need all the help you can get! ). Hope this gets resolved soon, if only for your sanity's sake!

Again, sorry to all for your collectively awful day. Much hope that tomorrow will bring some quick answers and simple solutions.

Wait, I'm supposed to still have my sanity ? Why didn't anyone tell me about this ?

On a serious note, thank you for the kind words. LVI has definitely been a labor of love for me as well as Enchirito and our council. I know you guys realize how hard we work but if all of you only knew just how much Enchirito and the members of the council do you'd be so impressed by them all. There have been days where I've wanted to throw my hands up in the air and say "f*ck it" (this having been one of those days) but seeing them work with such dedication as well as the belief they have in LVI and seeing all the videos always makes me push that much harder for this site.

I'm speaking for everyone on the council when I say how grateful we are for all of you that have continuously stuck with us through the changes and the highs and lows of LVI. We're trying to do something new and unique and no one ever said that would be easy. So thank you for your support because it's what keeps us going during all the problems that arise.

www.lostvideo.net
mully4235

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly_baby84 wrote:
ok l was just wondering if the April contest is still gonna happen and if so could someone post the rules and submission stuff on here for me since the LVI site is temporaryly down. THANX.

I'd like it too, if someone could. I didn't write down any of it and I have a vid that I would like to submit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: