Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank You To The Judges!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Thank You To The Judges!!! Reply with quote

Hey all,

I haven't been on in a few days and I just looked to see if Nobody's Home had been judged yet, and I saw that it got a gold CP, so I just wanted to say thank you to all the judges!!!

Could I maybe get some feedback on why it achieved the gold CP, so I know what I can do to keep up like this?

Thank you all again so much!!

AP x
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! I think it was really well deserved! Although I was disappointed that my video didn't reach any badges
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the thanks! That may be the first time someone's thanked the judges for their decision
Well, I wasn't one of those three judges who did the voting on this particular video, but if I was to vote I would also be voting Gold . This video really hits the spot: it's a really nice Kate character study (your song choice really does fit - she's got nobody to go home to. Great connection), and you expressed it so well, particularly with that constant beat back to the black and white clip of what she did. Not only that, but the vid was really structured nicely - it took each "chunk" of the song and fit it to a certain scene or aspect you were trying to tell, but it kept moving, getting stronger and stronger until you hit the climax, and that huge black and white flip through of Kate's life came in, then the explosion in full color for the first time nice. Finally, the entire thing kept to the beat and feel of the music, allowing you to really enjoy both the song and the vid at the same time. It was just really well-made altogether.

That all said, I can see one instance in which you could make another vid in this exact same way and not get the praise and the CP like you did this one. In this cas,e you chose a song with a story that was simple, but very deep for Kate's character, so it really fit perfectly without you having to really put in a twist to keep it interresting. If this was some love song, and you just followed that with the same methods, it probably wouldn't be as great largely because the ships are done so often that unless you have PERFECT vidding skills, or some really good ideas to make them original, you'll have trouble making a shipper video original enough to get noticed by us or the general public . So in other words, in this case you picked a great song that didn't need much messin' with to make it work as a video but if you happen to choose a song that isn't so fitting for a character, or is really long, next time, then you may be surprised to get a Silver, or worse even if you utilize the same cool techniques like the beats in this one.
So what's a cool song? Anything that you can imagine a story for that hasn't been overdone. This one had a nice, no-done-so-much aspect of Kate in it that really fit nicely . If you can find a song that lets you do this again, or one that leaves some room for you to create a cool AU, or some other story you want to tell, then I can bet it will end up getting some awards too .

I hope that helps you with all that . It's always a pleasure when a beginning vidder makes a kick-ass video like this very cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hobbes! That has certainly helped a lot, so I'll bookmark the post so I can refer back to it in the future.

At the moment, I've just finished a Kate/Sun/Claire video to 'Lonely Girl' by Sandi Thom and so I'll be uploading it soon. I've also just started a 'Seven Deadly Sins of Lost' video which I'm putting to 'Teardrop' by Massive Attack, and I have a couple of other ideas in the pipeline, including a comedy video set to 'A Pirate's Life For Me' from Pirates of the Caribbean. All three coming soon, so watch this space!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: