Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Against All Odds" by cylune
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVI Bot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: "Against All Odds" by cylune Reply with quote

"Against All Odds" 08-27-2006
Charlie and Claire endure a difficult separation and hope for a future together.

Song: Against All Odds by Phil Collins
Vidder: cylune
Length: 3:22 (12.3MB wmv)

Link(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUcpFrJmETA
http://www.zshare.net/video/against-all-odds-big3-wmv.html
Borislava
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sooo proud to be the forst to comment

I LOVED the whole video from the start till the end.The effects were amzing and fit the beat of the song very very well.Also another plus is that i LOVE Phil Collins!And that song is so perfect for Charlie and Claire
Good job!
Just between you and I
For blue, blue skies
I’ll forgive you
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another awesome C/C vid, Cyclune...you've already made three of 'em (or is it four?) and it's incredibly hard to do!

The effects were fantastic, and the song suited Charlie and Claire really well. I loved the quick zoom-ins of their faces in the "Take a look at me now" bits, they were so awesome. The beat use was great too.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm kinda speechless at the moment. How do you do this? Every single one of last vids was fantastic and so is this one!

First of all, I'm really glad that you decided to make a vid to this song. It's one of Phil Collin's best songs and an old favourite of mine.

I love the effects you used, especially the zooming-in effect (well, I'm using this one in my new vid, too ) and the flash transition in the middle of the vid. Great beat use here too, btw.

Then, of course, the emotional side of the vid is very well done. Good choice of clips, the clearly convey their sadness as well as their hope.

Someone should give you a "newcomer of the year" award. Seriously, I've hardly ever seen a vidder improve his/her vidding skills as quickly as you did. I'm so impressed
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... uhm... hey, one more thing: Didn't you mention something about making a Skate vid?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borislava - Thanks so much! I love this song too! I had this song in mind since I saw the finale... All these "coming back to me now, it's against all odds"... I thought it was really fitting.

marcus Thanks!! It's my fourth Charlie/Claire vid! I think I'll take a break now because I wouldn't know how to make one that would appear different!

Kaja THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for making me do this song... I was only considering doing it when you threated me if I didn't do it!! I'm really satisfied with the end result... I thought that with the nature of the song, it'd be a little too fluffy for me...(oh, and great minds think alike!).

I'll do a Skate vid one of these days... I have two songs in mind right now for them!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really, really liked it. I liked the fact that you used the ease in/out effects and the black and white in parts, and the song was really appropriate for PB&J.

Very, very well done!

PS. Where is everyone getting their Charlie and Claire clips from? Is it a CC fansite I don't know about?
Michelina
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, it's finally posted! *cheers* I'm watching the video in a minimized window at the corner of my screen as I write this; it's a little distracting, because I keep turning my head away from writing this review to catch a glimpse of it, just FYI. What? I can't help it if the video is so pretty to the point where I can't take my eyes off of it!

Pretty, pretty...oh man...to tell you the truth, I am still as speechless as I was yesterday when I tried to come up with a good first review on LJ, but I'm going to try and pull my squee together and get everything out now. I hope I can manage it without going off in a tangent. Wish me luck! *takes a deep breath*

You already know that this is officially my favourite Charlie/Claire video, but I haven't exactly explained why yet. I'm going to try and keep my reasoning short and sweet, because my last review on one of your vids *points to Let Down* was more lengthy than some of the essays I've written for school, so... *zips lips* I'm going to try and restrain myself this time.

I completely adored this video because it was somewhat like an experimental study on Charlie/Claire; and the song you used was absolutely perfect for it. *melts* Take a look at the verses with lyrics such as take a look at me now and you coming back to me is against all odds, for example -- these were sort of emotions that we knew Charlie and Claire were feeling, particularly in S2, but it was never said directly. With the way you edited it, it wasn't AU at all, but it was more...experimental, as I said, like digging deep into their feelings and trying to show them through motion/still images. That was really beautiful, because it wasn't just like you were showing random clips without meaning; the ones you chose really got to the core of their relationship, and as Karolina said, you could practically taste their desperation. I loved, loved, LOVED that!

I also really liked how you didn't waste time when it came to 'experimenting' with the two; from the very beginning of the video, you were already jumping into the angst and using beyond-awesome (and gorgeous) split-screens. You just kept on going with that unpredictable edge to your effects, and they amazed me each time; my favourites in particular were the split screens at 0:30-32, and then the one at 1:43-45. They were both jaw-droppingly beautiful; the first one in particular really stuck out to me, however: with Charlie - looking a little anxious-in color, and Claire - eyes watering and looking a little relieved - in black and white.

That, to me, spoke volumes. They juxtaposed against each other so well there - and even though they seem to be on the same page throughout the entire video, that specific split-screen reminded me that they're on that page for different reasons, and need each other back for different reasons. That was perfection.

The rises in the song also rose along with their anxiety, and dude...you get brownie points for that! That just made the emotion drip off the screen, even more than it already was with the clip/effect-selection. The beat use was also amazing as well, and at times really soft and subtle so it was just right, but not over the top. You're so good when it comes to that, it's practically your magic touch and trademark: use of beat that makes viewers believe that your chosen song was meant for your vid's theme. It leaves me in total awe. *claps*

I'm not sure why, but my favourite example of the rising emotion/beat use is the beginning of the second verse, where Phil sings I wish that I could make you turn around, turn around and see me cry. That short clip when Claire turns around to look at Charlie in Fire + Water always get to me, but you mixed it up a little here and made it even more powerful. Once again, it delved right into their feelings - specifically Charlie's in this case - and you showed us their thoughts through their actions once again! *squees* Have I mentioned how much I LOVE that? Because I completely do.

And of course, there were the famous flashes of emotion on each of the So take a look at me now bits! I loved each of them, and you captured some extremely cool character moments/expressions that I'd either long forgotten about, or hadn't seen used before. The last one was my favourite, since it combined Charlie and Claire, and finished off with a bang with yet another amazing split-screen. It was marvelous.

And then, there was the end. *sobs* I don't know what it is that makes your videos have that affect on me, but I never want them to end. However, your closing clip for this one was just so perfect that I think I just might have to forgive you for ending it. I thought it was really symbolic, how you showed that brief, heartfelt moment between them before the kiss, and then flashing to the two of them in Three Minutes standing side by side, looking ahead. Of course, we all know that they were looking at Michael and Jack, but I completely forgot about that when I saw it. To me, it just represented...Charlie and Claire, looking ahead. It was as simple as that, but I personally think that it tied up the video really nicely, since a recurring line in the song was take a look at me now. Again, that was absolute perfection!

Oh, and uh, wow; I just looked back at what I've written. Awkward. This is getting sort of embarrassing, because I promised that I wouldn't go over the top with a long review, but I got out of control. My speechlessness finally broke, I guess. Before people get irritated with me, I'll stop here after an overall statement:

This is my favourite Charlie/Claire video, because it's almost like an invasion of their privacy; like you pulled out all of their deepest feelings for one another, and threw them together on screen to make a fantastic ship-study. The sequence of clips was flawless, and everything just seemed so spot-on, and really connected with the passionate nature of the song. Just...incredible! I am so grateful that this song got stuck in your head after the finale, and that Karolina pushed you to use the song, because this video wouldn't exist if all that didn't happen. You've really got me geared up for some Charlie/Claire in season three with this video; it really set my shipper heart afloat, and I must thank-you for that.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: you're brilliant.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I´m just
This is incredible... I´m speechless.
A love the song, and b/c of your vid, I love Charlie and Claire more and more.
Congrats Cylune (one of the best vidders EVER) *clap clap clap*

My Lj
No Jack = No Lost
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlcoholicPixie - Thanks so much! Michelina has a great C/C website, it's called the
Moth and the Butterfly

Luka - Thanks so much Luka!! You're so sweet!

Michelina wrote:
I hope I can manage it without going off in a tangent. Wish me luck! *takes a deep breath*
I hope not! I love reading your long review! I wish I could do the same. It's a true skill.

Quote:
I completely adored this video because it was somewhat like an experimental study on Charlie/Claire; and the song you used was absolutely perfect for it. *melts* Take a look at the verses with lyrics such as take a look at me now and you coming back to me is against all odds, for example -- these were sort of emotions that we knew Charlie and Claire were feeling, particularly in S2, but it was never said directly. With the way you edited it, it wasn't AU at all, but it was more...experimental, as I said, like digging deep into their feelings and trying to show them through motion/still images.

I was inspired by your Lips of an Angel/Never Alone videos and some of the great AU vids I've seen. I was amazed by what you can show using clips that were meant to show something else on the show - if I'm making any sense.... I guess it's the fun of editing isn't it?? I might even try to do an AU vid one of these days.

Quote:
just kept on going with that unpredictable edge to your effects, and they amazed me each time; my favourites in particular were the split screens at 0:30-32, and then the one at 1:43-45.
Thanks!!! I'm very pround of those two!! I keep finding new neat tricks with my program, it's great! I'm having fun.

Quote:
The last one was my favourite, since it combined Charlie and Claire, and finished off with a bang with yet another amazing split-screen. It was marvelous.
You're giving me too much credit... they had two "Take a look at me" each, I thought it was over but I got this last one and I was thinking "Oh no" who am I going to chose?? why not both?

Quote:
I thought it was really symbolic, how you showed that brief, heartfelt moment between them before the kiss, and then flashing to the two of them in Three Minutes standing side by side, looking ahead.
Strange but that moment in the show got more emotion out of me than the kiss... and that clips of them looking ahead... I remember a saying that goes a little like this... love isn't looking at each other but to look in the same direction?

Quote:
Oh, and uh, wow; I just looked back at what I've written. Awkward. This is getting sort of embarrassing, because I promised that I wouldn't go over the top with a long review, but I got out of control. My speechlessness finally broke, I guess. Before people get irritated with me, I'll stop here after an overall statement:
I love it!!!! Thanks so much Michelina!! I feel so honored.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow
You took a song that could be SO EASILLY a death trap for any other vidder, that could have made the vid into a gut-wrenchingly boring couple 101 video, and you made it amazingly great! You took every bit of the beat it had and used it to its full advantage, making the vid trully a masterpiece of editing skill! With anyone else, this would probably be a Silver, or maybe nothing, but by pure vidding talent you've managed to create a masterpiece of storytelling KUDOS!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xframe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a brilliant work, very good job

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT WAS SO GOOD!
C/C_Collé
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was excellent vidding! Great use of Black and white and the zoom!!
And you're editing was great!!! The song was so appropriate!
Congrats on a totally awesome video!!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much xframe, karrieTwist and C/C_Collé!!

Hobbes Thank you! I know it's hard to make a shipper vid interesting but I tried my best... glad it worked!! For the beat use (and a whole lot of other ideas also), I shamelessly borrowed heavily from Holly's Total Eclipse vid. And I wasn't even subtle about it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: