Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharing is caring. Crack is whack. This is your brain on drugs.

Anyway.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Rachael Leigh Cook ad were she takes the pan and smashes the entire kitchen showing what happens to everything when you do crack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyXFN4ocN_o
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an idea that is either great or terrible (I just had it, and haven't had caffeine, after all), so bear with.

Could there be a rating system for critiques as well as videos? (It wouldn't require any more coding, provided this BB has the karma system in place.)

I mean, it seems at the moment that, beyond helping others (and altruism should be its own motive; I'm not saying otherwise), there isn't any real, tangible incentive to respond to a video any more thoroughly than 'lol great job,' and that, per prior conversation, people are afraid to give constructive critiques because of the lack of reward and potential for horrible flamewars or whatever.

To prevent abuse, perhaps this could be a moderated karma system, where people would be required to enter at least a three-word reason each time they vote for others, and it could only be an up-rating system, not an up-or-down system. Both of those would curb the tendencies people might have (not saying anything about people here; just human nature) to vote for their friends, and to vote down people just because they disagree with a coherently stated but contrary critique.

I am not sure if any privileges should be awarded to those with higher critique ratings -- maybe a weightier vote on videos, if they've proven themselves with the critiques? Not sure if that's stupid and potentially wrecks the place, either, though.

I am 99% sure this has been suggested before at some time over the past five years, but if I am the first to suggest it, then here it is.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Kate!

I'm pretty sure there was a discussion about something similar to this before but we went ahead and talked it over again just to be sure.

Our main concern is still that something like this would be too easy to be abused or misused (or just turned into a popularity contest ). However, we are looking into implementing something that will make sure that the people who want constructive criticism have the opportunity to make that better apparent.

Something to keep in mind, however, is that not everybody wants concrit on their vids. It's very easy for what started as an honest attempt at concrit to turn into a "let's nitpick your vid apart into itty-bitty bits" party and that doesn't end up doing anybody any good.

Many vidders are usually receptive to hearing something like a friendly, "Hey, you might want to using shorter clips next time" or the likes. However, unless you've specifically requested it, most people don't appreciate getting an unasked-for laundry list of everything that somebody didn't happen to like in their vid. There are many things that are subjective, neither right or wrong per se, just different matters of opinion.

I once saw an argument (not here at LVI) where a reviewer took a vidder to task for using the dissolve transition at one point. The reviewer said, "I'm only trying to help you to learn to do better!" to which the vidder said, "All you've 'helped' me with is that now I've learned that you don't like the dissolve transition. I, however, think it was used appropriately in this particular vid of mine and if I want to use it again in the future, then I certainly still will."

So it's important to know who is interested in hearing what people thought they did wrong and who really isn't. A vidder is allowed to want or not want concrit, after all. Both are valid.

Anyway, we do thank you for your suggestion. We're always looking for ways to meet as many needs as possible for everybody who comes here!
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might've been suggested before, but shouldn't there also be a vid category "slash/femslash"?

I just submitted a slashy vid which also fits in with the AU, romance or humour category, but I think there should also be a slash/femslash category.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! I was just wondering if there's been a video promo made for LVI? If we wanted to promote the new multifandom LVI on our yt channel or something?

It might be a great way to attract people who have never heard of it and don't vid Lost.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:
Might've been suggested before, but shouldn't there also be a vid category "slash/femslash"?

I just submitted a slashy vid which also fits in with the AU, romance or humour category, but I think there should also be a slash/femslash category.

D'oh, so sorry we didn't respond before now! Anyway, why we don't have an actual category (like action, drama, romance, etc.) for slash/femslash is because each fandom has that available as a ship tag (along with major and minor ships). So we didn't feel like it was necessary to have it as a category as well, since people can look for their favorite slash ships via the fandoms.

So sorry again for the late response!

grable24 wrote:
hey! I was just wondering if there's been a video promo made for LVI? If we wanted to promote the new multifandom LVI on our yt channel or something?

It might be a great way to attract people who have never heard of it and don't vid Lost.

Heya, Lauren! We haven't yet done a promo vid or made an serious push to advertise LVI now that we're multifandom mainly because we've been essentially in the beta phase of our changeover, trying to work out the bugs, getting the new character/ship tags working, and just basically wanting to get our sea-legs under us before we tried to pull in a lot of new members.

We definitely will be coming up with some promotional things in the near future and, of course, we'd love it if anybody wants to do some word-of-mouth telling about us (bring your vidder and vid-watcher friends, the more the merrier! ). But we wanted to make sure that we had a sort of controlled growth as we're adapting our old system to these new vids so we wouldn't just immediately tip over or the like, lol!

We absolutely DO want to bring in new vidders and vid-watchers alike, though, so if you know of anybody whom you think would be interested in what we have to offer here, please do let them know about us! Then we'll be doing a more organized push to get us out there to the people beyond the scope of our current membership as soon as we're able.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor suggestion, presuming it's automated: Move fandom to before username:

"Video" (Fandom) by Username

The identity of the vidder is clear because they "start" the thread and are listed under author, but in a lot of the videos listed, the fandom itself is lost because the title field is too short.
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion, Kate, we'll keep it in mind!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to suggest maybe a sub-genres?

Like sometimes I do a trailer but I don't want to put it as a trailer I want to put it as it's genre. Comedy/Drama etc.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chat sites listed on peoples' profiles seem a bit outdated. Can we get Skype, Google Chat, Facebook and Twitter and stuff like that on there?
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke, sorry for not replying sooner! We are discussing some changes to the tags and hopefully they will be up soon.

Paul, thanks for the suggestion!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with Paul.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was a section for those who comment and don't vote on the video; explaining why they didn't want to vote.
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply, Brooke! We don't really see the need for anything like that at the moment but thank you for the suggestion!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: