Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July Contest Information
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: July Contest Information Reply with quote

http://www.lostvideo.net/contests/contest_2006_07.php

JULY 2006
Contest: The Flashback Question Deadline: July 31st
The Details

Throughout the last seasons of Lost it seems there has been a growing division between fans about the merits of Lost's flashbacks. Many are starting to believe they don't have any relevance to the plot anymore, while others think the connections we've seen are more important than anything. Either way, the Lost community needs help. We need to prove once and for all that these things do have a point.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to pick a character and use both flashback and on-island footage to present the connections between the character's past and present. Show how their past has changed who they are, and continues to change who they are. Be as creative as possible, and make it really jump out!

As always, creativity will be rewarded heavilly, as a video that uses less-obvious footage to present some aspect people may not have thought about will do a lot better than someone who uses a very obvious flashback connection, like Charlie and his drug addiction. Dig deeper, and try to really figure out why the writers put these flashbacks in; what do they say about your character?

It is our hope that this will once-and-for-all prove the merits of flashbacks on the show. If we succeed and come up with some meaningful connections, then maybe we will come to appreciate these things a little more in the future. Or if we fail, maybe by some chance this contest will persuade the writers of Lost to rethink the impact of flashbacks. Either way, as the video artists of the Lost fandom, it is up to us vidders to prove the point of flashbacks!

So start your editing programs, the challenge is on. The Lost Community is counting on you!

The Rules
Specific Contest Rules:

* -Videos must use both flashbacks and on-island footage of a character to show the CONNECTION between the two.
* -The more creative and insightful, the better. Don't be afraid to take risks.
* -Running time should be around 3-5 minutes.
* -When entering your video on the Submit page, you MUST enter "July 2006 contest submission" exactly for your vid's Description.

General Contest Rules:

* -Contest submissions should be entered through the Submit page
* -All regular submissions Rules apply.
* -Only one entry per vidder
* -Videos already submitted and RELEVANT can be submitted again, but we would rather see something fresh. (Please contact a CM if you wish to enter a previously-submitted video)
* -Please do not use Megaupload, Rapidshare or Yousendit to host your files.
* -Keep in mind that however you choose to host your video, it must be available for download at least until the end of the month. If we can not access your video at the time of judgment it will not be considered.
* -Have fun!

Make me proud lol

Last edited by Hobbes on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, tricky one

So, we have to focus on one character only, right? Or can we use two characters and show the connection they have?
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch... this ones difficult. I'll have a go though!

^^ yeah... i have the same question.

Like, for example, can we focus of charlie's flaskbacks/journey and how they've contributed to his feelings towards, Claire maybe??? (tehehe)

Geez... this is hard, i'm gonna have trouble finding a good song!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, this'll be interesting. I might enter, if I get a good idea.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god this seems so hard! Which songs? Which character? so many choices... (plus how tomake it work!)
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:
Oooh, tricky one

So, we have to focus on one character only, right? Or can we use two characters and show the connection they have?

You may use more than one, but I made sure to say one because I fear an onslaught of ensemble vids Which often shoot themselves in the foot when doing so

Yep, it may be a hard contest this month but someone has to prove once and for all that flashbacks have a point. And if we CAN'T, then obviously we've proven they DON'T have a point So it's not just a matter of making a good vid, it's a matter of proving it's possible
But I'm sure you guys can handle it. Just pick a character and some of their flashbacks, like Locke's flashbacks with Helen, and think up just why the writers put them in. I'll bet you'll find some simillarities that span many episodes, that you only notice if you look hard enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
-x- Angelic -x-
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a cool contest! I love the flashbacks in the show i my self think that they really do work and have connections with the life on the island.

As it happends i have actually already started a vid that could fit this description. Only thing is its on Jack.... who's had tones and tones of flash backs. Do we have to use all of them at somepoint in our vid? If my vid goes completly off course maybe i'll submit it as a normal vid and choose someone else. Maybe a person who has very few flashbacks! lol

Banner made by me!
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you guys start this off?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we make this not to just one song? Like, kinda like that whole "Locke Vs. Jack" thing, with audio from the show, and several different songs?

If I do enter this, I wanna do a really hard character who people think have crap flashbacks...like Jack or Ana-Lucia.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you should do a Kate vid, Marcus. I didn't like but one of her flashback stories.
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, sounds fun! but i wont be entering because im going away to camp. excited, but sad i wont be entering, cant wait to see everybody's entries though!

just to let everyone know,
me + spelling = hjansbdadfk;a
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ChicaFrom3
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fun idea. And I've got two vids I've been planning to do that would work great for it. Now I just have to decide which one to do. Claire as "Nobody's Baby" or Shannon as "Baby Doll"?

sig by niki blue
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do we have to use all of them at somepoint in our vid?

As many or few as you want, as long as you think the point of the video is made.
Quote:
How would you guys start this off?

If you mean an example of a vid, I'd say... The video opens up opens up to Sawyer sitting next to Kate, as the music starts. long shot of Kate looking at Sawyer, before suddenly, right at the beat, the clips flash to whatshername from The Long Con () who Sawyer was in love with, and then you contine through the song, showing how he worked her up, then let her down, and is now doing it to Kate, fitting in the nice two instances where both Sawyer, and (I think) his conning partner in the flashback said "A tiger doesn't change his stripes". That's kinda a boring example, and it's off the top of my head so I'm not sure if it works or not, but there you go .

Quote:
Could we make this not to just one song? Like, kinda like that whole "Locke Vs. Jack" thing, with audio from the show, and several different songs?

Did I say only one song in there? No limit, but keep in mind bad audio editing is like a video deathwish so make sure it's bloody pleasant.

Quote:
Then you should do a Kate vid, Marcus. I didn't like but one of her flashback stories. Confused

I concur .
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
If you mean an example of a vid, I'd say... The video opens up opens up to Sawyer sitting next to Kate, as the music starts. long shot of Kate looking at Sawyer, before suddenly, right at the beat, the clips flash to whatshername from The Long Con () who Sawyer was in love with, and then you contine through the song, showing how he worked her up, then let her down, and is now doing it to Kate, fitting in the nice two instances where both Sawyer, and (I think) his conning partner in the flashback said "A tiger doesn't change his stripes". That's kinda a boring example, and it's off the top of my head so I'm not sure if it works or not, but there you go .

*was not bored by that example*
ashy_rulz88
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! That example gives me a good idea

hehe!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: