Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Ruth's Office- GRAND RE-OPENING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! That's great advice. Thanks for the compliments, too. I have a lot to learn about using effects and doing things creatively. I will definitely keep at it, though. I never quite know when a song will strike me, but now that I actually have the ability to make a video, I'm hoping inspiration will strike more often. Intermission and Penelope's Song have been floating in my head for ages. It was nice to finally get them out. Heheh!

~ Julia
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikki and Morgan answered your questions pretty well but I'll throw my two cents in as well!

eloramoon wrote:
I think my two big questions I'd be interested in hearing opinions on are:

1) I see that the trend is to do quick clips that flash to the beat of a popular song, and since I have used obscure songs and longer clips (which I still try to make relevant, either to the lyrics or beat when I can), I wonder if that is part of the problem?

2) I thought people would really enjoy my third video, which is the one that has been viewed 90 times but has received only 3 votes. You'd think out of 90 viewings, at least a handful would be LVI members, so to me that says that people aren't enjoying my video enough to vote on it, or don't feel it's worthy. The video is "Intermission". I'd be curious about honest opinions as to what could be turning people off.

Actually sometimes using a popular song can hurt your vid if it's something that's been terribly overvidded and that really isn't relevant to your vid's story in some way. Hearing a "fresher" song is usually a good thing! However, like with any song, it's the relevance to the vid itself that will make it a "good" song.

Beat use is another very important element. The thing is, though, that beat use doesn't have to mean just white flashes on a drum roll. Motion inside of a clip (such as somebody turning their head, gesturing, even just walking) is a great way to get beat use without having to resort to a strobe light. Then there's also just changing the clip to acknowledge the beat. All of this can be a little trickier in a slower song or in a song without a hard, defined beat, yet it can still be done to great success. It's pretty much all about listening to your music and listening to the lyrics. They'll usually tell you when you need to change clips or react to the beat in some way.

Long clips can really bring your mood down, unfortunately. Usually the rule of thumb is to try and not stay with the same clip for longer than 3 - 4 seconds even in a slow song or viewers can start to get a little antsy. I don't know why that is, but I've found that it does seem true... Now, of course, rules are made to be broken and some times there will be instances that holding on a clip for longer than that is exactly what you need to do. You just need to be aware that you're doing it and do it with purpose.

Bottom line, as long as you're listening to your music and are making your clip, effects and transitions choices based on what will best support the story you're trying to tell as well as what just "goes" best with the music, then you never should feel pressured to use more "popular" songs or to add in a zillion white flashes. Those aren't really the things that make a vid work. It's the combination of everything working together to come up with your own unique vision. So long as you stick to that, then you're on the right track!

As for why vids sometimes don't get comments... That one is kind of a mystery. I've seen excellent vids get a scant handful of comments while other vids will just get comment explosions. I think all too often people just don't really know what to say so they choose to say nothing. I've had vids that only got one or two comments, then maybe days or weeks later will start getting more. So you may end up with some "delayed reaction" comments, you never know!

Anyway, don't let it discourage you at all. Comments are great to get but they're not always a fair way to tell if people thought your vid was good or not. Which seems really odd but I've just found that it sometimes happens like that, I'm not sure why. Sometimes all you can do is to just keep interacting with people, comment on their vids, and then just keep making your own. A lot of times, people just don't want to take the time to watch a vid by someone they don't know. Which is silly because then how will you ever get to know them, right? You might miss your next favorite vidder like that!

Sorry, by the way, that I haven't commented on your vid just yet. In my case, I just keep running out of time, so I'm pretty far behind on commenting. (I end up being one of those "delayed reaction commenters" I guess, lol! ) But I do get there eventually! ♥!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Aislynn!

I feel like, from what I'm reading, I've got the right idea. So, I'm gonna keep at it and not get discouraged. It's kind of scary getting into it on a public level for the first time, but it's so much fun, and I'm getting to see way more videos now than before, so that's a nice bonus to spending more time at LVI.

Don't feel bad about delayed commenting... I can't even imagine how many videos you've got to get through on a daily basis. I have so many favorites book marked and want to see all the videos of everyone I meet. It's a lot of videos!

Thanks again for your thoughts!

~ Julia
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:

I feel like, from what I'm reading, I've got the right idea. So, I'm gonna keep at it and not get discouraged. It's kind of scary getting into it on a public level for the first time, but it's so much fun, and I'm getting to see way more videos now than before, so that's a nice bonus to spending more time at LVI.

Don't feel bad about delayed commenting... I can't even imagine how many videos you've got to get through on a daily basis. I have so many favorites book marked and want to see all the videos of everyone I meet. It's a lot of videos!

Thanks again for your thoughts!

~ Julia

Thats the best way to improve your skills is watch allot of videos. You get a very good fell of what works and what dosnt. All of it will come to you in time.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:

You're very welcome! I was hoping that didn't come across all high-handed or anything, 'cause that's certainly not what I meant! But, in my opinion, the entire key to building a great video hinges around the points I mentioned: really hearing your music and responding to it with your clip choices, effects and transitions accordingly while building your story. Even if you don't realize you're doing all of that at the time, lol! You just sort of...feel it all out!

And like Trey said, watching lots and lots of vids will definitely help you to see what works for you and what doesn't. And that's one thing we have here, lots and lots of vids! ♥!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:

You're very welcome! I was hoping that didn't come across all high-handed or anything, 'cause that's certainly not what I meant! But, in my opinion, the entire key to building a great video hinges around the points I mentioned: really hearing your music and responding to it with your clip choices, effects and transitions accordingly while building your story. Even if you don't realize you're doing all of that at the time, lol! You just sort of...feel it all out!

Oh goodness, no! It didn't seem that way at all! I really appreciate it when more experienced folks take the time to help a newbie out, so I always appreciate any advice I can get.

~ Julia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: