Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Ruth's Office- GRAND RE-OPENING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah no problem! I wasnt saying anything bad about it, just you know I didnt know if people were "holding back" questions or anything.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was to be fair really annoyed that my latest video didn't get at least a silver as I sent it to many good vidders who couldn't find many errors. I spent ages with my editing and want to know why I couldn't recieve this award.

I'm not missing you
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got a silver pick for this, and, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for it.

However, when I asked for constructive criticism, no one said a word. Obviously, there must be something wrong with it or else it'd deserve more than a silver.

This was also my first attempt at a trailer so I'm looking for any kind of feedback.

Will you help me, oh wise Dr. Ruth?

LINK: http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9059
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dr. Ruth

...I really hate to beat a dead horse, but I stumbled upon a contest vids thingie and noticed somewhat of a debate between a vidder and some CMs about the Silver status of my Final Destination: LOST vid for the October contest. In fact, I've had a lot of vidders (and non-vidders that lurk) ask me why this particular video didn't get a Gold. I, personally, am pretty sure that at least a part of it was the audio, and I'm certainly not asking for a revote, unless you recommend it, because I'm happy enough to have placed in the contest, but...for my own peace of mind, what--other than the audio (I did what I could with what I could find, which, unfortunately, wasn't what I was looking for ) -- could have made this vid a Gold?

I feel like I've gone downhill since Gifts and Curses and I would like to head back UPhill again. It seems like even if I have a seasoned vidder giving me multiple betas, I keep getting silvers, and the ONE Gold I got is the CPed vid of mine that I dislike the most... What can I do to improve this unfortunate downward spiral...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbexter93 wrote:
I was to be fair really annoyed that my latest video didn't get at least a silver as I sent it to many good vidders who couldn't find many errors. I spent ages with my editing and want to know why I couldn't recieve this award.

I'm not missing you

hey I just watched it (I didnt vote on it the first time) and I think you should re-submit for a revote. It was good, I see some others already commented on the audio, so I wont repeat that here. I think just some of the shots were a little strange- like Sawyer looking up at Shannon, but its the scene where shes looking at the grave. Just was a little strange. Otherwise I see no serious flaws. Hope this has helped.

Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoCynic wrote:
Well, I got a silver pick for this, and, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for it.

However, when I asked for constructive criticism, no one said a word. Obviously, there must be something wrong with it or else it'd deserve more than a silver.

This was also my first attempt at a trailer so I'm looking for any kind of feedback.

Will you help me, oh wise Dr. Ruth?

LINK: http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9059

Alrighty. Well I reviewed the video and I came up with a few pointers:

~I think maybe, in the beginning, you should make it more clear that Sayid and Kate are NOT interacting- like when hes talking to his officer and the shot of Kate in the cafe. Because if its supposed to be them leading two separate lives, maybe you should do Sayid's little schpeel first and then Kate's. Just a suggestion.

Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistojen wrote:
Hey Dr. Ruth

...I really hate to beat a dead horse, but I stumbled upon a contest vids thingie and noticed somewhat of a debate between a vidder and some CMs about the Silver status of my Final Destination: LOST vid for the October contest. In fact, I've had a lot of vidders (and non-vidders that lurk) ask me why this particular video didn't get a Gold. I, personally, am pretty sure that at least a part of it was the audio, and I'm certainly not asking for a revote, unless you recommend it, because I'm happy enough to have placed in the contest, but...for my own peace of mind, what--other than the audio (I did what I could with what I could find, which, unfortunately, wasn't what I was looking for ) -- could have made this vid a Gold?

I feel like I've gone downhill since Gifts and Curses and I would like to head back UPhill again. It seems like even if I have a seasoned vidder giving me multiple betas, I keep getting silvers, and the ONE Gold I got is the CPed vid of mine that I dislike the most... What can I do to improve this unfortunate downward spiral...?

Well, I really liked your inclusion of the music and also the scenes from Hills Have Eyes. Nice touch! I really liked it actually, but I do have some suggestions, if I may:

~Maybe get rid of the car accident footage in the beginning. I know on the actual trailer for FD3, they included it. But it goes plane crash, cars, plane crash. Maybe you should combine the plane crash footage and make one big messy one. Just a suggestion. Because in the movies, it was plane crash/explosion, cars and then rollercoaster.

Also perhaps tone down or lose the effects at the end. You dont need it, its a great enough trailer! If you would like to submit it for a revote, I say go for it you turkey! (And sorry I just watched a movie where somebody said that and I wanted to say it). If you wanted to make it shorter, thats cool too, you dont want to give away all the best scenes from your "movie".

PrincessSparkle
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I submitted this vid (http://www.lostvideo.net/viewvid.php?vidid=3212) bout a week ago and thought that it maybe had a chance of getting a council pick, it didn't...So I was wondering if anyone could maybe say what could be improved etc so I can get one next time Thanks
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please tell me what could have improved "I'm not missing you (http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9080) as the revote changed nothing. My email (although it may be standard) said I needed a stronger story line and better editing.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyy dr. ruth,

I made a vid called If You Belive : http://www.lostvideo.net/viewvid.php?vidid=3305 . I was surprised to get a silver (didnt even think it would get that). im not very good at making slower vids. i was just wondering what u think i could do better and work on for the next time i make a slower one. i am happy with the silver pick, but of course i want to improve my vidding.

thanks for the help!!
~Ley

just to let everyone know,
me + spelling = hjansbdadfk;a
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
IamSoLostRightNow
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Finally Woken Reply with quote

Can I just say that this is an awesome thread!?

I like to be consistent. I am beyond proud that my vids received some kind of CP. However, I can't help feeling that my vid Finally Woken (http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=129991#129991) was overlooked. It's my only vid not to receive an award. This wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that it is my most popular vid on youtube.

Okay, okay, I'm not going to be bitchy. I swear, I'm really not bitter (this is more my little sisters doing). But like the thread poses I would like to know why it didn't get a CP. What did you guys think of this vid? What should I have done differently?
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dr. Ruth,

Just want to say thanks to the judges for the Silver on Getting Away With Murder, but what could I have done to make it a Gold?

EDIT: Please ignore this post, I've already spoken to a couple of other judges. Thank you anyway though!

Supernatural Video Station

Last edited by AlcoholicPixie on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***ALL POSTS UNDER REVIEW***

Sorry for the delay.

Dr. R

wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey im pretty new to the boards, been to the site for a while though but I made the video Hello/Goodbye http://www.lostvideo.net/viewvid.php?vidid=3462 and i see that it didnt get a gold or silver, nor did it get much comments. looking back i can totally see many problems with it, but i was wondering what you thought about it, why it didnt have what it takes to get a gold or silver, and what do i need to do as a viddier to improve my work. thanks.
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessSparkle wrote:
Hey, I submitted this vid (http://www.lostvideo.net/viewvid.php?vidid=3212) bout a week ago and thought that it maybe had a chance of getting a council pick, it didn't...So I was wondering if anyone could maybe say what could be improved etc so I can get one next time Thanks

Hi Princess, so sorry for being like 7 weeks late on this one. I wont try the actual reasons, so Ill cut to the chase, if you still want my opinion:

Okay this was a really cool concept, and has a lot of possibilities. First off, you might want to look into cutting down the music in the intro of the song- I absolutely hate trying to fill voids of music with no vocals. That aside, I thought it was pretty cool and creative- but still not really cohesive. It seemed pretty random. But I think you have something here- dont rush it. IM in the same boat myself

Anyway good luck!

And as always, in the words of Dennis Miller: "Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: