Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Great Movies List
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: The Great Movies List Reply with quote

A week ago I watched a special on the 100 most memorable movies in the past 100 years, many of which were already movies I've seen and loved, so I decided to write those I haven't seen that looked the most interesting down, and watch them all. So far I've gone through abotu 10 of them, and they've all been pretty damn good. A coupe have made it into my favouritew movies list actually.

Anyway, the point of this topic is to share some awesome movies we've seen over the years. They don't have to be modern movies (in fact, I've found that most of the older ones are actually better since they have such a handicap in the visual effects department). So many of them get easilly looked-over, and this topic is here to present those.

Thus, as I go through the list of mine, I will update this topic with the latest great movie I've seen that I think you guys should check out, and likewise, any of you that have a favourite movie that isn't that really needs to be seen, please suggest it and I'll add it to my list! Likewise, anypone who wants to join in on the summer movie marathon of mine is quite welcome to, and I post my curtrent list here lol.

Without further ado, here are some of the great movies I've discovered lately that really need checking out:

1. 12 Angry Men - brilliant, brilliant. Black and white movie about 12 jurors at a murder trial. 11 of them think the young man in the trial is guilty, while the 12th juror believes he could be innocent, and slowly but surely the case is revealed and he changes their minds. Excellent character drama with soem of the best acting I've seen. You don't even notice it's black and white. One of my all-time favourite movies.

2. The Birdman of Alcatraz - really interesting story of a guy in solitary confinement and his life through the ages.

3. Vanilla Sky - one of Tom Cruise's (slightly) older films, and one weird-ass, absolutely extremely original and strange movies. What makes it so good is the fact that the people who made it had the courage to do it, even when it has such a weird but deep plot and theme. It's tough to describe it, and even harder to create an opinion on it, but all I know is that it was special. I also know I like Tom Cruise so much more after this movie. To hell with his stupid religion and his jumping on couches, the guy's real, and not jsut some media whore like so many other stars.

4. Rain man - Another Cruise movie, but also an excellent one. So far I've yet to be dissappointed by a single film of his, so I think I may just go on a Tom Cruise marathon this summer too. This is about a friendship between a guy and his mentally-handicapped brother. Really sweet movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 20 movies ever.

The obvious, American/British:
Dr. Strangelove, Strangers on a Train, Life of Brian, The Producers.

The obvious, foreign language:
M, Rashomon.

The underrated, old-school:
Beat the Devil, In Cold Blood, Things to Come, The World's Greatest Sinner.

The underrated, modern:
The Man Who Fell to Earth (don't ask me why ymdb gives it as 'on'), A Fish Called Wanda, Reservoir Dogs, Croupier, Marathon Man, The War Zone, Breaker Morant, Rob Roy, Conrack.

Movies that come damn close to my top 20: The Winter Guest, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Vertigo, Rope, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Paths of Glory, The Maltese Falcon, Brazil, The Last Picture Show, Animal House, Amadeus, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, The Breakfast Club, Gettysburg, Dead Man, Stage Beauty, Restoration, Ladyhawke, Ran, Annie Hall, The General, Week-End.
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have 3 favourite films:

1) Donnie Darko - The best and most comlicated, weird and intelligent film i've ever seen!
2) Shawshank Redemption - Words can't describe why I love this film so much. If you've never seen it, WATCH IT.
3) House Of Wax - Just a modern horror film which I loved! Plus CMM took his shirt off in it so that might be why I bought it

Trailers
If you wanna see the trailers for these films then here they are:

Donnie Darko:http://www.donniedarko.com/info/
Shawshank Redemption:http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=shawshankredemption
House Of Wax:http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/house_of_wax/

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof

Last edited by IntoTheVoid on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Movies List Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
3. Vanilla Sky - one of Tom Cruise's (slightly) older films, and one weird-ass, absolutely extremely original and strange movies.

Actually not an original movie (sorry!) - it's a remake of Alejandro Amenabar's Abre los Ojos ("Open Your Eyes.")
Spiral Static
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle Royale is definately a film that doesn't get as much attention as it should.

I normally would NEVER watch a film where you actually have to read what's being said..but it really is an amazing film. A little gory, so not for the faint-hearted, but the acting and the whole plotline is just awesome.
Shankle
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little gory? Doesn't one guy shove a grenade in a disembodied head? I've seen it once, quite a long time ago, and loved it.

The Shawshank Redemtion is absolutely one of the best films of all time. Truly beautiful.

*hearts* Aislynn, Kaja, Rachel and Steph
*Rips whatzit"
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best underrated movie is definetly "Raise The Titanic".

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My top 20 movies ever.

I just printed that out, and I'll try and check otu as many of those as I can find

Quote:
Actually not an original movie (sorry!) - it's a remake of Alejandro Amenabar's Abre los Ojos ("Open Your Eyes.")

Well, I kinda knew that based on the bonus features of the movie, but wasn't it all in Spanish anyway? Either way, it's still one hugely original and risky movie to play in American cinema, and that's what I admire about it.

Quote:
1) Donnie Darko - The best and most comlicated, weird and intelligent film i've ever seen!
2) Shawshank Redemption - Words can't describe why I love this film so much. If you've never seen it, WATCH IT.
3) House Of Wax - Just a modern horror film which I loved! Plus CMM took his shirt off in it so that might be why I bought it

1. Adore, and you should see just how much soon enough
2. LOVE.
3. Never seen. I don't usually like horror movies lol (though the Exorcist is on my list )

Quote:
Battle Royale is definately a film that doesn't get as much attention as it should.

I'll see if I can find that one too lol, might try it out. Grenades in heads always sound fun.

Quote:
The best underrated movie is definetly "Raise The Titanic".

If it's anythign like "The Titanic 2 - Jack Returns" I'm sure it will be good LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081400/

"Once they said God himself couldn't sink her. Then they said no man on earth could reach her. Now - you will be there when we Raise The Titanic."

Pure genius.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"A best selling novel, but not a great movie"

Quote:
For his part, Clive Cussler was reportedly so disgusted by the film that for years he refused to allow a Hollywood adaptation of one of his works, until the 2005 adaptation of his novel Sahara.

ChicaFrom3
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list of my favorite movies--which is to say, the movies I can watch over and over again without getting sick of them--is fairly short and mostly somewhat obvious.

-Casablanca. A true classic. Dude, Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman are both brilliant, talented actors with real chemistry and I tear up at the ending. I'm a chick, I deal with it.

-The Princess Bride. The kind of classic nobody ever questions, because it's just that brilliant and funny and romantic, everything rolled in to one.

-The Evil Dead trilogy (Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, and Army of Darkness). Terrible, horrible, awful movies. The tree rape scene? What were they thinking? But it's Bruce Campbell, and they're incredibly amusing, and they have some of the best quotable lines ever, and I love them despite the fact that they're lousy movies.

-The Star Wars original trilogy. Han Solo. Chewbacca. Princess Leia. Things blowing up. Lousy effects and plot holes you could drive a Death Star through. Brilliant movies, and Han fires the first and only shot. [/geekery]

sig by niki blue
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicaFrom3 wrote:
Casablanca. A true classic. Dude, Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman are both brilliant, talented actors with real chemistry and I tear up at the ending. I'm a chick, I deal with it.

My one qualm with Casablanca is that Sydney Greenstreet and especially (my favorite actor ever) Peter Lorre are criminally underused. They get better roles in The Maltese Falcon, which is why that one edges Casablanca out for me.

Then again, I'm a bit biased. Heh.
betty06
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have 10 off the top of my head but as im a movie freak i could list 100's. But here are 10 in no order.

1.The Goonies- Great movie. funny.
2.Battle Royale - This was an excellent one but not for the faint hearted.
3.Donnie Darko- One of the best craziest creepy movie i have seen.Its great.Watch it!
4.Kill Bill 1 &2 - i love anything by Quentin Tarantino.
5.American History X - Just watch it, you will know why.
6.Underworld- I don't know what it is but i just love that movie.
7.Million dollar baby- Great movie just hated the end
8.See No Evil, Hear No Evil- It's old but its bloody funny.(Also Stir crazy)
9.Se7en- Love the Seven Deadly Sins.
10.Mystic River - I love a good Crime / Mystery.

Has anyone seen all of them?
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Oh! Kill Bill! That ones mine too!

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassablanca's... kinda on my list... ish.

Quote:

-The Evil Dead trilogy (Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, and Army of Darkness). Terrible, horrible, awful movies. The tree rape scene? What were they thinking? But it's Bruce Campbell, and they're incredibly amusing, and they have some of the best quotable lines ever, and I love them despite the fact that they're lousy movies.

That's added on then lol. I saw some bits of it, particularly when the skeleton army was advancing on the castle LOL looks hilarious.

Quote:

Has anyone seen all of them?

I've seen about half. Might check outthe rest too. I think Battle Royale is going on the list lol. Loved Kill Bill 1 and 2 btw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: