Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1x19 - "Dues Ex Machina" Episode Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice this before, but when Boones says "We're surviors of the crash of Oceanic flight 815" I think the guy on the radio says "No. There were no survivors of Oceanic flight 815"

Interesting.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
Actually, the term Dues Ex Machina, or "God of the machine", comes from Greek and Roman plays where a 'god' would be lowered onto the stage in a crane (machine) and would unraval and solve whatever problems the charactes had. So, this episode still seems mis-labled to me.

I may be thinking to much about this but it seems to me that this is exactly what happened. The "god" could be considered the plane which "lowered onto the stage", ie crashed to the ground. By it playing a part in Boone's injury and possible death it led Locke back to the hatch. Which through Locke's pain somehow allowed something to happen with the hatch. Not to mention Boone was able to get a radio transmission out and someone responded. Was it another crazy on the island? Was Boone hallucinating? Or did someone actually get that brief message. Either way that radio is still there and when and if Locke opens up to the others that radio is right up Sayid's expertise. Either way it's a means to one of the islanders problems.

That is my take on all of it. I think the title was meant to be taken different ways.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
I didn't notice this before, but when Boones says "We're surviors of the crash of Oceanic flight 815" I think the guy on the radio says "No. There were no survivors of Oceanic flight 815"

Interesting.

guess i gotta go watch again before work. Nice catch if so-l

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostcalier wrote:
Enchirito wrote:
Actually, the term Dues Ex Machina, or "God of the machine", comes from Greek and Roman plays where a 'god' would be lowered onto the stage in a crane (machine) and would unraval and solve whatever problems the charactes had. So, this episode still seems mis-labled to me.

I may be thinking to much about this but it seems to me that this is exactly what happened. The "god" could be considered the plane which "lowered onto the stage", ie crashed to the ground. By it playing a part in Boone's injury and possible death it led Locke back to the hatch. Which through Locke's pain somehow allowed something to happen with the hatch. Not to mention Boone was able to get a radio transmission out and someone responded. Was it another crazy on the island? Was Boone hallucinating? Or did someone actually get that brief message. Either way that radio is still there and when and if Locke opens up to the others that radio is right up Sayid's expertise. Either way it's a means to one of the islanders problems.

That is my take on all of it. I think the title was meant to be taken different ways.

hmmmm. I guess you're right... it is leading to something...

I guess this episode did introduced a Dues Ex Machina. But at this point it's like the god has been lowered but has yet to speak. lol.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the scene...OMG he does say that. Could have deep meaning...could be the outside world really does think they were all killed. Nice catch Enchirito-l

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An even cooler theory about what the guy on the radio says to Boone is "WE are the survivors of the crash of flight 815"

Saw this theory being bounced around on www.thefuselage.com.

Basically, they're thinking that Boone was talking to someone from the tail section of the plane. They crashed on the other side of the island and think that THEY are the only survivors.

You know how Rose is SO SURE that her husband is alive? Well, he just might be.

I hope this is the case, because if he's talking to someone OFF the island they might get rescued and then, no more Lost. Which will not do at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah! I listened to it again, and it really could be either one!

Although. the tone of the guy doesn't sound very professional...
I'm now leaning toward 'No. We're the survivors of Oceanic 815"

But where did they get a radio?
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister thought this episode was very cool and creepy (she likes creepy) but I thought it was lacking something. Kate, Sawyer and Jack seemed just a little hollow and not fully into it when they said their dialogue. And it was just missing...something....(no, not Charlie, even though he's a very cool character...it would have been lacking even with him in it).

Ah well. It was still a good episode, just raised the sci-fi bar up three thousand notches. And boy, I really wonder if Boone will tell Jack about the plane and the guy on the radio before he dies. IF he dies. There will probably be another twist, like Boone lives and Michael falls off a cliff.
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rewatched that scene and turned on the captions to find out what the transmission really did say. According to the captions here is the whole transmission:

Boone: Hello, Hello. Anybody Out There? Mayday, Mayday.

Mon on Radio: Is someone there?

Boone: Hello! Hello! Can you hear me?

Man on Radio: Repeat your transmission, Please.

Boone: Hello, we're survivors of the crash of Oceanic Flight 8-1-5. Please Copy.

Man on Radio: There were no survivors of Oceanic Flight 8-1-5.

Now, captions have been known to be wrong before but that's what popped up on my screen when I ran it back through with the captions on.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to chime in on this episode so here goes...

First, I'm beginning to really not like Locke. This episode he was a selfish prick and whining little bitch. He was doing the same thing his old man did to him. And those shots of him losing his cool and crying over the hatch made him look real pathetic.

Second, the radio thing is very fascinating. What I think is funny is that the "There were no survivors of flight 815" line will definitely fuel more Purgatory theorists. I don't believe this theory myself, but I still think it's an interesting idea.

Third, Boone is SO not going to die. If this show has taught us anything, folks, it's that they will do everything in their power to point is one direction and then go in a different one. Mark my words: BOONE IS NOT GOING TO DIE. If anyone bites it, my money is on Locke or Sayid, even though I'd hate to see either of them go.

Fourth, Jack is so gay!! Sure it seems like he was asking Sawyer all those sexual history questions to embarrass him in front of Kate, but notice how he was taking close notes. He's narrowing down his choices for some sweet man on man jungle love action.

Fifth, anyone else get the distinct impression that this baby is going to be very very odd looking?

Sixth, the way Locke's dad speaks or sounds reminded me a lot of Agent Smith from the Matrix. Nothing important really, it just kept distracting me.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hanging out at the fuselage boards all day and apparently the closed captioning is probably wrong and the voice did say "No, WE'RE the survivors of flight 815." The mods are trying to get one of the writers to confirm this.

SO COOL!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringwench wrote:
I've been hanging out at the fuselage boards all day and apparently the closed captioning is probably wrong and the voice did say "No, WE'RE the survivors of flight 815." The mods are trying to get one of the writers to confirm this.

SO COOL!!!

That's interesting because I've watched it twice now and I thought it was definitely "There were no survivors..."

Will be interested to hear if there is any confirmation to the contrary.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet! For the reasons I mentioned above i bet the subs were wrong.

Whoever keeps an eye on the Fusalage boards please let us know if there is any official responce. It's like a jungle over there.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a Locke fan. Yes he's a selfish, weak, gullable, 2-faced prick; but we all have our faults maybe not as many but to me this episode made him all the more "real" rather than some 'can do no wrong' superhero.

At first I thought Boone was going to get knocked into a coma by the trebuchet or the 2nd creation.

As for the message on the drug plane's radio, I find it hard to imagine that the members of the tail section would have a working radio to transmit. What is in the tail of a plane? The black box and a lavatory. I also gave up on the purgatory idea a long time ago so the message is probably based on the rest of the world's observations.

If Jack were gay you would have heard the line "Okay Sawyer, turn your head to the side and cough." To counter this if Jack definately wasn't gay you would have heard "I'll examine you right after I listen to Shannon's chest to make sure her asthma isn't acting up. Oops no stethescope I guess I'll have to use my ear instead." So who knows.

I'm with JNR about the who's going to die thing. It seems too obvious for Lost to kill off the dude who just went head first into the windshield of a plane that fell off a tree, not to mention all the crush injuries from the stuff Locke pulled off of him. Maybe Jin steals the raft and in a fit of anger Michael rips his head off. Okay yeah I'm just being silly.

My lost music vids
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First, I'm beginning to really not like Locke. This episode he was a selfish prick and whining little bitch. He was doing the same thing his old man did to him. And those shots of him losing his cool and crying over the hatch made him look real pathetic.

Gramps! I think I love you! I am so glad I'm not the only person who thought this! Vindication!

I don't know what you mean about an odd-looking baby though. They'll have to drown it. (Isn't that what they do on "deserted" islands with deformed children?)

Quote:
The mods are trying to get one of the writers to confirm this.

I'm going to go out on a (pretty darn sturdy) limb and say that the mods will get no where with that line of questioning. I've seen it happen before when there was a 'what was that sound?' question at the 'lage. The radio transmission was purposefully hard to understand. They want to keep you guessing.

Quote:
There will probably be another twist, like Boone lives and Michael falls off a cliff.

jade This cracked me up. I love Michael, but the "falling off a cliff" thing is priceless. How upset would everyone be if this turned out to be the case. No big scandal, just took a wrong step. Lovely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: