Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1x19 - "Dues Ex Machina" Episode Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: 1x19 - "Dues Ex Machina" Episode Discussion Reply with quote

Thought I'd post this a day early in case any of you wanted to chat about the upcoming episode.

Deux Ex Machina
gs: Swoosie Kurtz (Emily) Kevin Tighe (Cooper) Tyler Burns Laudowicz (Kid) George O'Hanlon (Eddie) Lawrence Mandley (Frainey) Julie Ow (Nurse)

Locke begins to suffer physical difficulties as he and Boone try to find a way into the hatch; Jack is reluctant to offer assistance when Sawyer begins to experience excruciating headaches. In this episode we learn how Locke was paralyzed, interrelating with the events around the hatch.

b: 30-Mar-2005 pc: 118 w: Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse d: Robert Mandel

**episode description taken from http://www.tvtome.com/Lost/guide.html

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched ANY spoilers for this episode yet yay! I heard that the preview thing was really really spoilerific, so I'm glad I didn't see it. And nobody try to spoil me either! I haven't GONE through an episode without those yet
well... I DID see a bit of a preview for tomorrow's episode this afternoon, and I saw a certain thing that gave a lot of the plot away... which sucks, but as soon as I recognised it was talking about lost I plugged my ears and closed my eyes for the rest, so at least I don't know TOO much.

I can't WAIT for this one. Locke = ABSOLUTE BEST CHARACTER EVER.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hold strong there hobbes. I read and watched everything possible because I'm weak. So WEAK.-l

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay a new episode tonight...lol
l like Locke too, he's my mom's fav. lol l can't wait.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... simply stating that was the best episode ever would be a tarnish on what this thing deserves. Oh my God.... that was.... wow.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go so far as to call it the best episode ever. But it was pretty damned good.

The nightmare sequence scared the crap out of me. I'm sort of pissed off at Locke. No, a lot pissed off at Locke. He forgot to mention to Boone in his dream that he was blood soaked. What a dick! I'm sorry, but if he believes everything that the GD island shows him, I'm sure he KNEW that Boone would get hurt - and yet he still involved him. And it's not like going after the plane helped him get into the hatch anyway.

Stupid little bald crybaby man!

Edited to add:

Re: Locke. He lies too much. He keeps too many secrets. He speaks in too many riddles. And it speaks volumes of his character that instead of sticking around to help Boone he goes to cry over the hatch - we know what he cares about, and its not the other people on this island. Boone has been his right-hand man and he led him into danger without at least warning him first, and he doesn't even care whether or not he's okay. So if he can't even do right by his closest island pal, then he's not to be trusted at all.

Side note - I loved the Jack/Sawyer interaction and the Michael line about knowing the words, "faster idiot!"
Jaime
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! That was the best episode ever! I love Locke, and I guess we know who dies now. Oh and Sawyer has STD's, wow! I was laughing my butt off during his scene's. "Looks like Harry potter got steam rolled" I love Hurley! Ahhhhh, I don't think I'm going to be able to wait a week, does anyone know if theres a place where you could download episodes that haven't aired yet? If you do please don't tell me, because that would be bad, and I'd just have to wait even longer for an episode that I haven't seen and.... anyway, I think i'm gonna go now... I love Locke he is one of the bestest characters ever! peace out my homies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The nightmare sequence scared the crap out of me. I'm sort of pissed off at Locke. No, a lot pissed off at Locke. He forgot to mention to Boone in his dream that he was blood soaked. What a dick! I'm sorry, but if he believes everything that the GD island shows him, I'm sure he KNEW that Boone would get hurt - and yet he still involved him. And it's not like going after the plane helped him get into the hatch anyway. Stupid little bald crybaby man!

I think he already knew Boone was gonna get hurt, and just decided to take that chance anyway. That, or he himself didn't fully grasp the meaning of that dream...
Who cares anyway. If someone has to go, let it be Boone he's so damn annoying and creepy looking. Not saying I don't like him... but if one of the 14 has to go, he's my first choice anyway. Poor Locke.. poor poor Locke... what a crap life he's lived, the poor guy...
You can't blame Locke for what happened to Boone. One very strange dream he had doesn't mean that it was his fault that Boone didn't get out of the plane when it came crashing down. And if Locke even DID tell him, do you think that would make a difference? Locke couldn't walk enough to climb up there himself, and Boone is really anti-superstitious. He wouldn't believe Locke even then.
I don't like Locke because he's omnipotent like he's always portrayed to be by every writer except Andrew Goddard, the creator of his character. What makes me love Locke so much isn't his coolness level or the way he seems to know everything, but the way he's actually just helpless. this episode brought that once again.
You can't tell me that ending there didn't bring a tear to your eye. It only didn't to me because I was in a room full of people, and I have a reputation But, I mean... seriously... it's the same way on Locke's first episode... I never thought it could be beaten, but it just was. Man I love this show I'm gonna go look for everything that Andrew Goddard has ever written now... now that I know that TWICE he has given me the best episode I could hope for...
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my response on another board to someone who didn't like my "angry at Locke" post:

Quote:
Because of what's happened to him, some people would excuse Locke's behavior. I hold him more accountable for it. Don't you see the parallel's between what Locke's father did to him and what Locke did to Boone tonight? Wanting the glory all to himself is not an excuse. Sure he might be disturbed, though I disagree with that statement, but it doesn't make Locke using Boone (whom he knew would be injured based on his dream) to meet his ends right. Of course I feel sorry for what happened to him in the past, but that doesn't really make up for how he's acting now. It might explain it, but it doesn't make it okay.

Let me clarify. I liked Locke VERY MUCH up until this point. In this episode, and even before now that I think about it, I find that he's acting very selfishly and very much like a child. I do think he purposely left out or purposely ignored the fact that Boone was obviously seriously injured in his dream. Yet he insisted that what he saw in his dream was real. If he was certain the dream was real, then wouldn't it stand to reason that he'd believe that the marks on Boone meant something as well? I'm not saying he WANTED Boone to be injured, I'm saying that he DIDN'T CARE whether or not he was. As long as he gets what he wants. Which, like I said before, reminds me of how his own father treated him.

I still think his character is an interesting and complex one, and I certainly feel bad for some of the things he's gone through - I just think he's very self-serving.
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more, Hobbes. That was the best episode EVER!!!

(for more detailed ep squeeage, go to my LJ (http://www.livejournal.com/users/ringwench/97723.html) I don't feel like retyping everything here)

Locke is AWESOME.

Also, I'm with you on the Boone thing. If anyone has to go, I'm glad it's going to be him. I'm interested in everyone else too much for them to die!

Aside from being an AMAZING ep, I'm so happy that I have SO much more material for my "Clint Eastwood" Locke vid !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole "If anyone has to go" thing bugs me. I really don't want anyone to die. Anyone! So it doesn't matter who it was, I would still be upset about it.
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
The whole "If anyone has to go" thing bugs me. I really don't want anyone to die. Anyone! So it doesn't matter who it was, I would still be upset about it.

The only reason I phrase it like that is that the show's creators made it very clear that they WOULD be killing one of the main 14 characters by season's end.

So since someone is DEFINATELY destined to die, I'm just glad it's not one of my favorites. Not that I'm trying to make light of a character dying. If it were up to me I wouldn't want any of them to go either.

Though I don't much care for Boone as a character, I do feel really bad for Ian Somerhalder losing a really sweet job. Poor guy.
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no I didn't mean that you couldn't use that phrasing. What bugs me is that it's like we're supposed to be "thankful" that it's not this character or that character or something. I mean yeah, that's true to an extent. But as I said in the BLD thread, I'm still miffed that there has to be a BLD to begin with. Especially with rumors of bringing on new cast members...
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find Locke as being what you are saying he is right now at all... it seems to me that Boone getting hurt hurt LOCKE even more than anything. He lost all hope from it. He was crying as he went back to the hatch. He doesn't feel like he has a choice of whether or not to follow his visions, they're what he thinks is the island telling him what to do. And they're making him obsessed with the hatch as well. It doesn't seem like a regular person would obsess over that hatch that much, so I think there has to be a lot deeper reason for this all. We still haven't had any clue as to what happened with that meeting between Locke and the monster, you know. for all we know, he could have been posessed or something, though I certainly hope not...

And then... if YOU had a vision of someone covered in blood chanting creepy things while other creepy things happened, then wouldn't you be reluctant to tell them that fact....? whether to protect Boone from being scared, or to protect Locke's own interests, I don't think it's very fair for you to just judge his intentions that instantly KC he might have just been doubting his vision a bit, anyway... I personnally thought the blood was a reference to what happened to Boone once when he was little until the thing came true...
Hopefully you at least enjoyed the backstory of the show
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I did Hobbes. Don't be mad cause I think that your favorite character is a f***tard. I heart Locke, I really do. He's just a dumba** that's all.

Don't even get me started on Charlie. Who didn't miss him in this episode? I didn't!

ETA - Just because a show upsets me doesn't mean I didn't love it! This was a GREAT episode. How can you tell? Well let me just check my Upset-o-Meter...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: