Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-men3: the Last Stand
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Or wasn't it? I heard something about a sequel (with a young or younger Magneto and Xavier). Does anyone know anything about this?

Yeah, I read that in the paper, but it was said in more of the context of a joke about how good they looked with all those movie effects to make them look younger, so I don't know.

Quote:
Josh Holloway as Gambit would have rocked.

That would have been freaking amazing. Gambit is the BEST one.
(and #2 would be rogue when she can fly heh. Too bad they didn't go through with Shannon as... ummm... the person rogue gets those powers from... damn! Line? )

on further contemplation of this movie, I think it made the last two movies worse it basically completely undid everything that happened in them. What they should have done is just have a fixed camera in the xmen training room, then have each xman/mutant come in there one by one and go through a simulation, with lots of cool special effects to see their powers. That would have ruled. I would be happier with that for the movie than this kinda ... at least then they have the excuse that they weren't really trying to have a story. hmmm....

Last edited by Hobbes on Wed May 31, 2006 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
on further contemplation of this movie, I think it made the last two movies worse it basically completely undid everything that happened in them.

exactly. I'm going to forget this was ever made. What they need to do is call a mulligan and make another X3 that ends the trilogy right.

oh yeh, Shanon was suposed to be Kitty Pride, but instead they got some 10 year old girl. ? oh, and gambit was originally suposed to have a 'small role', but they cut him out. I'm actually kind of glad they did since they would have wasted him anyway. Like every other one-note new mutant they threw in there. I mean look how they did Angel.
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I thought I heard she was to play something along the lines of "Kitty", but I thought that was the girl Rogue essentially sucks-up and becomes awesome because of, not Shadowcat. Forgive me, my Xmen mythology is way-off.

Quote:
I'm actually kind of glad they did since they would have wasted him anyway. Like every other one-note new mutant they threw in there. I mean look how they did Angel.

heh, what was that guy with the spikes that pop out of his head doing in the lead of Magneto's army...? That seems like such a useless ability it's not even funny. I mean, when he killed that lady, and then the spikes receeded, you could see they didn't even go in the right direction to hit her
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw the first two. I went and saw this last XMen because my friend wanted to see it.

Now, I'm afraid to watch the other two. It might ruin the 3rd one for me.
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that this one was in no way as good as the first two .. at all

Quote:
They've always treated Scott like shit in the movies but this one was horrible. He didn't even get to die on screen!

Word. Scott is my favourate charicter.. and I'll just say I had a total fit during the movie Especially because NO ONE seemed to care .. I mean WTF??
Not to mention... I could have sworn his mutation made him physically unable to cry... but I think that may have just been a comics thing *shrugs*

This movie completely ignored the charicters so that they could make things blow up!... so much potential .. completly wasted
-end rant-

Last edited by LadySnow on Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, I'm afraid to watch the other two. It might ruin the 3rd one for me.

Could happen, but you should definitely see the first two movies. They're great (especially the second)!
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anybody would read this and be upset by spoilers, here's the Official Spoiler Disclaimer:

If you don't want to read major plot spoilers, then cover your eyes until this post is done.

Hobbes wrote:
(and #2 would be rogue when she can fly heh. Too bad they didn't go through with Shannon as... ummm... the person rogue gets those powers from... damn! Line? )

Line: Carol Danvers aka Ms. Marvel

Maggie Grace was considered for the Shadowcat role, as said.

I mulled over giving a full, detailed review of what I thought of the movie since I just saw it last night, but decided to spare y'all another of my extremely long-winded posts.

Bottom line: I loved it, though I completely agree that it was a totally different style than the first two (which I also deeply loved). And I agree that Scott, Rogue and Angel all got the shaft when it came to screen time and storylines.

The Cons have been covered so I'll just stick to the Pros -- and just 3 of them at that:

1. Tons of canon comic storylines or moments adapted into this story: Logan killing Jean echoed Logan killing Mariko (his long-time, angsty girlfriend -- major long story here ); the Sentinel robot seen briefly in the Danger Room (*squee!* Danger Room! ) and the entire setting came from the classic "Days of Future Past" story; Storm was Headmistress for many years when Prof X was dead/gone/off visiting his alien girlfriend (not kidding ); Prof X and Magneto's alternating friends/enemies relationship (LOVED that M was horrified at Prof X's death) and many more (but mentioning them all will take us into extremely long-winded post territory ).

2. The way they portrayed the Phoenix power really rocked, IMO. I wasn't sure how well that would translate but I loved how they basically made it that she can reduce everything down to atoms. Was a much better visual than colored waves of light coming off of her or something like that, lol! And I loved the whole look: black eyes (and even the skin around her eyes changed), the long red hair and the red outfit (very canon). And if you don't know that Phoenix was actually an alien clone of Jean in the comics, who therefore was able to be killed off yet have Jean come back later (the ol' "Kill Your Phoenix And Have Her Too" thing )... Well, you're probably better off. The split-personality angle was much more believable. And it explained why Jean didn't seem very powerful in the first movie, yet she was classified as one of the strongest mutants alive.

3. Storm finally got to kick some butt! Storm was always one of my favorite comic characters but I felt like the first two movies didn't really portray her as the strong, intimidating fighter that she should've been (she led the X-Men for a long while after she lost her powers -- another long story -- and she got out there and scrapped with the best of them as a human; with powers, she should've really been wiping the deck).

So yes, it could've been better but it could've been a lot worse, too, IMO.

If you had any idea how much more I could say about the X-movies, the comics, and the characters in general, you'd be impressed that this post isn't, like, 10 times longer than this.

~Still Fangirl-X in Sawyerville
Mars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll watch the other two.

And Ais, I guess that means you'll like the other one(s) they are thinking of making? Like the Wolverine backstory one, etc. Hope they are good!
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how the Wolverine spinoff could be any worse than X3. Hugh Jackman is a great Wolverine and his character deserves a whole film. Notice how they totally 'forgot' about his past storyline in this one? It was building up in the other two so well and now its like, ah screw that, lets do the Logan/Jean story instead.

btw, the Sentinal in the Danger Room was one of the best scenes in X3! THat was at the the begining of the film, when i still thought the it was going to turn out good.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

btw, the Sentinal in the Danger Room was one of the best scenes in X3! THat was at the the begining of the film, when i still thought the it was going to turn out good

Told you it should have just been a montage of scenes from the danger room the whole movie.
vanilla_coke_nz
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this today and LOVED it. In my opinion it is the best X-men movie. The first x-men is pretty weak, it hardly has any fight scenes. The second movie was good but it left me wanting more for some reason. But they are just my opinions.

I also LOVED the Phoenix thing, it was cool. The mystik thing was very cool as well. DAM she was hot not blue... anyway, I havnt read the comics but i have watched a little of xmen evolution. I think that why a liked it. Heaps of people are dissapointed about "How it isn't like the comic" but that doesnt effect me. I really loved Storms fight scenes too, i'm glad she got a better role. It did feel in some places that some of the mutant's powers could be explained but that may have slowed down the movie more. I really liked the whole ending bit with the water on the island and the bridge, I'm really hoping they make a X-4 but there's no news. It would be great to see more of Kitty and Angel and to see what Rouge does without powers.

From the start of the X-men movies I think they should have had a director that REALLY LOVES X-men and one that directs all of the movies. Like the director of Spider-man he LOVES Spiderman to death and has directed ALL THREE!

Did anyone wait until the end of the credits and watch the secret ending?

Last edited by vanilla_coke_nz on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thanks to Nate we all did

Quote:
Storm finally got to kick some butt! Storm was always one of my favorite comic characters but I felt like the first two movies didn't really portray her as the strong, intimidating fighter that she should've been

I guess that's why Halle Barry was pissed off and, at least at first, didn't want to make the third movie. Or maybe she was just annoyed that she didn't have enough on-screen time in the first two movies
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish i didn't, but I just remembered 2 more asinine things that happend in this movie.

1. A bright summer day turned to night in one cut. (the bidge moving scene into the assault on the compound).

2. There is a scene where we see soldiers getting weapons, and R Lee Ermy yells what's happening directly to the audience without ever being shown.

Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO I remember those.

Quote:

From the start of the X-men movies I think they should have had a director that REALLY LOVES X-men and one that directs all of the movies. Like the director of Spider-man he LOVES Spiderman to death and has directed ALL THREE!

In my opinion that's what hurt this film so much. He loved it too much to cut anything, and so that limited time for the movie was just packed with character appearances and deaths that didn't have an impact on the plot. With Spiderman, there wasn't as much content that could be stuck into it (without introducing more than one villain in each film, that is, or giving him a billion different types of attacks lol)
The same thing happened with King Kong, except in that one they let Peter Jackson make it as big as he wanted (which was too much...), but this one had to fit it into one tiny little movie.
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I think X3 had much bigger problems than over-loving or too much material. From what i've read, the produciton of X3 was just an unorganized mess every step of the way.

The Aint It Cool Review was a really good read.. Well written and to the point. I don't always agree with that site's reviews, but i'm right with them on X3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: