Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LVI 3.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
easilyjaded
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, thanks. I'm trying that right now.

And I believe its the new torrent. I just downloaded it maybe two weeks ago?
easilyjaded
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So once I download that, I go to Open, then Open file for seeding? And it comes up under the seeding section. Is this correct?
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easilyjaded wrote:
So once I download that, I go to Open, then Open file for seeding? And it comes up under the seeding section. Is this correct?

I would just set Azureus as the default program to open .torrents. Then you can just click the torrent link in your browser and it will open in Azureus. But, yeah, what you're saying will work too.
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I have a blue face for the seeding part. It seems like its a bad thing.

And that the number of "seeds" are none, but I thought there were some from whom I downloaded off.

Wait, are the seeds the people who download or who upload? I'm so confused!
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why the faces are there. lol. They make it simple. Blue face for seeding is fine. It means you are seeding but there is nobody trying to download.
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotya. Thanks for all the help, Enchirito!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't sure if this was exactly the right place to ask this question but finally decided that it's technically about the 3.0 version of LVI, so I might as well lob it in here.

First off, though, I'm so glad to hear that the torrent thing is working well at bringing the bandwidth crisis into check. I mean, when the choice is between converting all the on-site hosted vids to torrents or just have the site go away, I think the answer is pretty obvious!

What I was wondering is if this will affect the 10 MB cut-off rule for vids hosted on LVI? Keep in mind that I'm in complete blissful ignorance when it comes to things like websites and bandwidths and torrents, so I have no idea how hard or easy it would be to raise the limit to something like 15 MB. All I know is that I have a vid that I'm going to have to squash into a blur to get it under 10 MB!

Right now, my initial "tests" are showing that I can get it at a passable 300 some kps (the audio suffers a bit but the video stays intact) but that puts it at 10.6 MB (and it's unfinished, so may grow a bit larger). The next step down for WMM is the 256 kps compression, which puts it at 6 MB but the audio sounds like it's being played underwater and some of the people apparently no longer have faces... Which would be interesting if that's what I was going for in the first place!

Anyway, don't mean to be carping, I just wondered if any thought has been given -- or even can be given -- to raising the limit just a bit. As I said, I have no earthly idea about what sort of burden this would be on the site. I'm just a simple vidder girl with a vid full of faceless people singing underwater, so thought it'd be worthwhile to ask!

Thanks!

~Aislynn
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, apparently now I'm just a Guest here... HUH???

~Aislynn
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been thought, as well as the option of being able to put EVERY vid on the site... but we determined that the 10MB rule should stay intact due to bandwidth still being used like this... I wonder if now, with this drastic drop in bandwidth, if we could spare that extra 5 MB now..? hmmm... either way, my vote for it, if Enchirito says the site could handle it, is yes.

As for the "every vid on LVI" option. I think we can get this a bit closer. Let me summarize that in my new topic! Yay!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets keep it at 10MB at least until we see how the torrents work when we release a new batch of vids. If our bandwidth is consistantly low enough we may be able to raise the limit. I'm all for it.

The reason bandwidth dropped so much could be that some people are scarred of torrents. But it also stopped any direct-linking that may have been going on, as well as multi-downloading kiddies that might have been downloding the same vids every day at school like you were talking about Hobbes. We sure showed them.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noooooo!!!! Those poor kiddies may have to actually work on their drafting projects now! how horrible for them!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm just a simple vidder girl with a vid full of faceless people singing underwater

I just had to quote that. Thank you and goodnight. Try the meatloaf.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh, glad to see I'm quotable, SuperKC!

Thanks, Hobbes and Enchirito, for answering my question. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly with the next batch of vids and maybe the 10 MB limit can be raised just a bit. I know you guys have to keep vids at a reasonable size limit, even with the torrent thing. But if it's doable, an extra 5 MB or so would sure be a nice bit of breathing room.

I'm going to do what I can with the vid I'm working on to try and bring it in under 10 MB at the middle compression rate (known as "Vid Still Looks Good Even If The Sound Is Starting To Go") rather than take the low road (AKA "Faceless People Singing Underwater" ). This vid (okay, I've already admitted elsewhere that it's actually a trilogy of vids, all interconnected though able to stand alone as well) is going to take me a while to get done, because I'm really trying to challenge myself with the animations. For example, the opening animation alone is almost 150 frames long. And I don't mean 150 as in "a couple of pics with some transitions in between them." That's 150 where I do multiple movements by hand on each and every frame. Believe me, I'm loving the vid clips that are coming up; they look like an oasis in the middle of Animation Desert!

No, I don't really have to work this hard and put this much thought and effort into this. I just wanted to see if I could pull it off! But that's why it's going to sting to have to take all this work and compress it into a faceless blob. If I can, I'm going to try shortening the over-all length, reducing some of the animation frames where I can, basically every trick I know to get the size down and score the 10 MB middle compression level. Wish me luck!

However, I've got a ways to go before even the first vid is done, much less before the entire trilogy is ready to go, so hopefully things will be looking good for LVI by then. I'm kinda anxious for this first vid to be seen because it (drum-roll, please ) is an intense character study of...Jack. (Did my avi just faint? ) No, I'm serious! No dancing polar bears or anything! I'm really trying to give the good doc a fair shake here, so I'm eager to see what the Jack fans think.

Now, pardon me while I go get some water to revive my avi. And oh yeah, I don't want to forget to try that meatloaf...

~Aislynn
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's always Hobbes' Hosting Hut any size you want!

awww... that's really really too bad there >.< well maybe you could squeeze in another Megabyte just don't tell anyone

ummmm... what program are you using to compress your video again? if it's WMM, then stop right now. (thank you very much...) You could try out Dr. divx maybe. I find that the points where a vid gets the most blurry and faceless is during fast transitions or movements, and Dr. Divx modifies that accordingly, giving higher quality to the transitions, and less quality to the still clips. could come in usefull ....
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
awww... that's really really too bad there >.< well maybe you could squeeze in another Megabyte just don't tell anyone

Much appreciating the sympathy, Mr. H! I'm wading in the midst of my probably over-ambitious project and just must have felt the need to vent a bit in that last post!

Hobbes wrote:
ummmm... what program are you using to compress your video again? if it's WMM, then stop right now. (thank you very much...) You could try out Dr. divx maybe.

Oh, yeah, I'm a WMM Service Pack 1 gal (Official WMM SP1 Motto: "You don't really need to control clip speed or have titles or transitions. You just think you do! Have a nice day!"). I've heard Dr. Divx mentioned a few times around the LVI forum boards before. Is a free program or a "fork over the dough" program? And where does it come from? (A Mama and a Daddy Dr. Divx? )

Thanks again! (Oh, and I saw the Hobbes' Hosting Hut but haven't hopped over to check it out yet. I swear, every time I come here, the front page has rearranged itself! Hey, nobody can ever accuse LVI of being unwilling to change, huh? )

~Aislynn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: