Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LVI 3.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, if I'm remembering right, you should be able to seed ANY file that you have the exact duplicate of. So technically I should be able to seed any of the videos that I'd downloaded previously and have stored on my computer as long as they're the same file.

?
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
Technically, if I'm remembering right, you should be able to seed ANY file that you have the exact duplicate of. So technically I should be able to seed any of the videos that I'd downloaded previously and have stored on my computer as long as they're the same file.

?

should is the keyword.

Like Hobbes said, since BT checks a hash code to see if it really is the exact same file, I'm wondering if zipping them up may alter the bit sequence. I guess somebody could try it out if they actually want to download that huge all vids torrent.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, during zipping, the files can be changed within a few bits I think... So any files you've downloaded from the vidder collections sections wont work for seeding the idvidual songs, even if you zip them individually
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a really bad idea (but it's an idea anyway), but is there a way to insert already zipped files to the master file? That way those that download the master file could seed all the others?
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This might be a really bad idea (but it's an idea anyway), but is there a way to insert already zipped files to the master file? That way those that download the master file could seed all the others?

zah..?
what do you mean...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I haven't downloaded the master zip file yet, but I'm assuming it goes something like this:

masterzipfile.zip
- LVI_reallyawesomevideo01.wmv
- LVI_reallyawesomevideo02.wmv

Meaning that within the master zip file, the individual videos aren't zipped. What you could do instead is arrange it like so:

masterzipfile.zip
- LVI_reallyawesomevideo01.zip
- LVI_reallyawesoemvideo02.zip

So that when they extract the files, they're the same exact as the individual files for the videos and they can seed them.

It might not be the best idea, and I don't know how many people are going to actually use the master file for downloading and then actually seed files on top of that, so it might be a big waste of time - but it's an idea.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is indeed what I did. In those first two trial masters, all the vids aren't zipped, and in THIS new one, I downloaded a copy of every one of the files in the torrent section here: http://lostvideo.net/vidtorrents/ and put them in one big zipped file of the master, along with all the vids that aren't hosted on the site, just for ease for people who want to get all the vids they can. BTW we really need some seeders on that file... it must be going verrrrrrrryyyyyyy sloooooooowwwwwllllllyyyy
easilyjaded
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do like the torrent idea. Though I was wondering if this will help save you bandwith, and how much it would save you? When we download the vids from the torrent, will it be torrent thats doing all the work or is your site involved too?

But good job on trying to ease us smoothly. Anything to keep this site up and running!
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easilyjaded wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:17 am Post subject:
I really do like the torrent idea. Though I was wondering if this will help save you bandwith, and how much it would save you? When we download the vids from the torrent, will it be torrent thats doing all the work or is your site involved too?

Since our server is seeding, yes, the torrents use a little of our bandwidth. But to answer your other question:

I got the torrents up in the evening on March 22. Yesterday the 23rd was our first whole day of torrents-only. It is definitly helping!
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW that's friggin AMAZING! And that was on a day when we were all downloading them at once to help with uploading! WOW!!!

I'm just afraid that maybe some people were put off because of the torrents when I look at all the torrents I have seeded right now, the downloads dont happen too often...
easilyjaded
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't mind because I already had it installed. But yes, some people will be put off. But most, who really want to watch the vids, will download it.

Maybe you could also have a section to LINKS only to videos in which the vidder has money to make their own site? Like how it is with buffyvids.com ? That way if people are too lazy to download the torrent program (but trust me, its worth it) they can just go to the link section of video recs...

And holy crap on the bandwidth graph! Thats a lot of saving!
easilyjaded
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one question--how do you keep bit torrent running even if you aren't downloading anything? I want to keep it running so people could download off of me, but it shuts off immediately once its done downloading.
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which BT client and version are you using?
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe you could also have a section to LINKS only to videos in which the vidder has money to make their own site? Like how it is with buffyvids.com ? That way if people are too lazy to download the torrent program (but trust me, its worth it) they can just go to the link section of video recs...

Oh we did only the vids that were hosted on the site have torrent downloads. The off-site ones don't, except for being included in the master file ones.

Quote:
And one question--how do you keep bit torrent running even if you aren't downloading anything? I want to keep it running so people could download off of me, but it shuts off immediately once its done downloading.

Thats..... not right it shouldn't be like that at least.... do you have that newest Bittorrent client? If so, then there's your problem Enchirito says it's really bad... but anyway... If you want to host some vids, and want to host a lot of them without slowing your computer at all, get this: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
Enchirito posted it earlier. It is the saviour of my computer. Seriously. I am hosting 60 files, including the masters, RIGHT now, and it's not slowing me down at all. Download it and see if oyu can figure it out, if not, then I'll start a thread for it, because EVERYONE should have this baby
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it sounds like you're having the same problem I had with BT Mainline 4.0. It kept dropping my seeds for no reason. Like Hobbes said, Azures rules all. Use that if you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: