Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LVI Torrents Trial
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: LVI Torrents Trial Reply with quote

As many of you know, we have a serious bandwidth shortage. We are going to try out a possible solution in a limited format.

What we are going to try is grouping all vids made by a certain vidder into one big torrent for download. We will still offer vids for individual download. But we are hoping that those who can (high speed internet users) will use the torrents whenever possible to save us bandwidth.

Right now, if you go to the profile page of any vidder that has vids hosted on LVI (go there by clicking their name anywhere on the site) you will now see a torrent link. Right now we only have 2 torrents avaliable (myself and Hobbes complete collections) but if this is sucessful we hope to have a torrent for every vidder containing all of their vids.

For this to be successful we need seeders. Please jump on these torrents and leave them open if you can.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about just go to our torrent page and learn all about the wonderful technology that is BitTorrent. Don't worry it's painless.

let the SEEDING BEGIN!

Last edited by Enchirito on Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:55 am; edited 2 times in total
BA5763
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to say it, but luv the torrent file names... The Whole Enchirito and The Complete Hobizzle! Luv it!!!
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great idea. Thanks for the info and while I don't understand torrents and wouldn't be able to use it to the full capability I think this is a cool alternative for saving bandwidth.

I need to read up on BitTorrents.

p.s. I can't figure out if you had more hosts even on low bandwidth whether that would help or hurt the ability for others to download the file.

My lost music vids
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the more the merrier... but I could be wrong. Either way, I know that as the # of seeders is close to the # of downloaders, it goes fast. A slow connection could pose a problem if it was the only seeder, but 2 seeders, even with one with a slow connection, is probably a lot better than one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes is correct. "more the merrier" is the very idea behind torrents. More downloaders = good. More seeders = VERY good!

Like, right now I see we have 4 seeders and no downloaders. If anyone jumps on right now to download it is going to go very fast for them and it won't use any of the sites valueable bandwidth!

I need to make the torrents more prominent on the site to increase their visibility. Right now they are rather hidden to the casual person browsing the site. Im working on it.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an LVI Torrents advert for the downloads page. Think it's noticable? lol.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why yes, yes it is.

I am trying to download so I can be a seeder for a while, but I can't connect. My computer sucks at torrents. It takes forever and ever and ever.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

realy? damn...
We're thinking of attempting a permanent change to all torrents... but tell us how it's workign for you, because if it really isn't at all, then we may have to change our plans a bit, not that thy're final or anything...

btw, anyone who want's their outside-hosted vids hosted with the torrents, feel free to ask, and I'll do so right away
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the torrent open for at least a half an hour with what it said was three seeders online and I wasn't able to connect at all. But don't go by my computer - I have trouble with it. And I have a high-speed cable connection so I have no idea what the deal is.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmmmmmmm.......
anre you SURE you have bittorrent?

Enchirito? any ideas what's whrong here...?
Astarte

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works like a charm for me...
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astarte: hooray! success!

KC: Which BT client are you using? Try this one: http://www.bittornado.com
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
I have trouble with it. And I have a high-speed cable connection so I have no idea what the deal is.

It could be a problem with a firewall you may have installed. If you have one set to high it may block your ability to make a proper connection to the torrent network. Don't know if that helps any.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostcalier wrote:
SuperKC wrote:
I have trouble with it. And I have a high-speed cable connection so I have no idea what the deal is.

It could be a problem with a firewall you may have installed. If you have one set to high it may block your ability to make a proper connection to the torrent network. Don't know if that helps any.

Oh yeah - forgot about that.

If you have a router or firewall unblock or forward ports 6881 - 6999. If those ports can't get through to your box, BT will do exactly what you are describing.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants to download the entire site's stock of hosted vids in one pass with no bandwidth wasted whatsoever!? We do! That's who!
Try it out now. http://www.lostvideo.net/downloads.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: