Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STOP DIRECT LINKING VIDEOS OFFSITE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: STOP DIRECT LINKING VIDEOS OFFSITE Reply with quote

It has recently come to my attention that people are direct linking my videos to their MYSPACE accounts in the streaming format. The only way to prevent this is by me blocking the direct downloading everyone seems to enjoy when they view my videos. If I shut this option off I will literally have to e-mail every single video to every person that wants to see it. I'm already broke enough trying to maintain the account as it is, so PLEASE stop with the direct linking-Laura

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really crap Laura! Sorry to hear people are doing that.

Astarte

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zip them up? Really you should consider this, streaming is a way overrated and not cheap in the long run...
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astarte wrote:
Zip them up? Really you should consider this, streaming is a way overrated and not cheap in the long run...

LMAO i just edited in my response here--yup. One of those nights-laura
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was streaming my vids for ages until a whole bunch of sites decided to take liberties. You can warn people not to do it and some listen but most often they don't. Zipping is the way to go.

MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this.

I have no idea what "MYSPACE accounts" means but definately zip the files.

I doubt anyone reading the forums would hotlink directly to your vids as that is very rude.

In the Farscape vid realm we found there are some bots or spiders who grab title names of our vids as part of their search for songs and people just grab the vid for the songs. Since your vids are named after the title of the song I think you might be the victim of this evil scheme. I zip my files and name the vids obscure references to Farscape so as to defeat the title grabbing monster. LithiumDoll does an even more ingenious thing by just simply numbering her vids.

My lost music vids
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all need to understand I'm COMPLETELY computer illiterate. The weird thing is this chick e-mailed me asking for the codecs for CELLS to add to her site, so I go there(her profile) and my pressure video (the only one on streamload that is zipped) is on there already. I'm e-mailing Tom, one of the head honchos at MYSPACE to see if he can take it off. I'm also e-mailing streamload to find out my options. I would zip everything, but how did she get PRESSURE(which is zipped) on there and not CELLS(which isn't). Its times like this I wish i knew something about computers. Thanks for the advice-l

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "codecs for cells to add to her site" Can I have a link to the site?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "codecs for cells to add to her site" Can I have a link to the site?

its in the LVI thread down below--I just don't want to embarrass her in public--just yet LOL--the video seems to be down now. She never e-mailed me back, I think i made my first enemy. YES!-l

Jake's Twin
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused here. She is using HTML (website) code on her website to link back to your videos on your steamload account?

If she is, maybe you could ask her to host the file on her own site as a mirror if she likes them so much?
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoreLight wrote:
I'm a little confused here. She is using HTML (website) code on her website to link back to your videos on your steamload account?

If she is, maybe you could ask her to host the file on her own site as a mirror if she likes them so much?

She hasn't e-mailed me back since i said "went to your site and saw pressure, take it down" LOL. I'm still working with streamload to figure out something-l

Jake's Twin
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you email her again since then?
Say the word and a barrage of angry letters go streaming to her email
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matter solved. thanks everyone-l

Jake's Twin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: