Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garden State
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Garden State Reply with quote

I thought instead of hijacking LAURA's Let Go thread I'd make one here. So, who's seen this movie and what did you think? No spoliers now, I actually plan on watching it... someday.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was good. Definitely enjoyed it, but didn't think it was as good as everyone raved about.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw it. ::ducks from flying objects::
I plan on seeing it--saw the trailer and thought it was my kind of movie, but never coughed up the $4.50 cover charge at the video store. Since we are discussing movies here are my must sees for independant film lovers...
CLERKS
RUN LOLA RUN(own it..LOVE IT)
WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE
NAPOLEON D-sweet!
SAVED
MEAN CREEK

I'll set aside my stripping tips to rent GARDEN STATE, only seems appropriate.-l

Jake's Twin

Last edited by LAURA4LAD on Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of those I've only seen Clerks. But I've seen it at least 4 times, so I feel it makes up for not having seen the others.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh so much love for this movie!

It's just one of those movies (at least for me) that really captured how I feel about life (ie, my life is going nowhere, what am I doing with myself, what's the point) and presented it in a way I could relate to. So much so that I actually felt better about myself and where I am in my life after I watched it. Not a lot of movies can do that.

Also, I adore movies (like Eternal Sunshine, which I adored to no end) that explore unconventional romance. Loved the relationship between Zach Braff and Natalie Portmans's characters.

I just loved it. I'll agree that it's not a movie for everyone. But I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eternal Sunshine. was great.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura, I totally agree with you on those picks (except Mean Creek as I haven't seen it, but will check it out).

Napoleon Dynamite is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. The line delivery was just SO perfect.

The dancing scene literally blew my mind with it's hilarity. I have never laughed harder at a scene in a movie as I did at that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINGWENCH LMAFO at your dancing NAPOLEON.

Meancreek is depressing as all hell, but well acted and written.

Saw Enternal Sunshine, and I liked it, but still enjoy Adaptation better from the Kaufmans.

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone keeps telling me Napoleon Dynamite is great. I don't know why, but, for some reason, I just have this feeling that I will hate it. Isn't that weird?
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that movie a day ago, and I can safely say that I regard that as the worst movie I have ever seen in theatres. It just beat "Punch Drunk Love" for the title. But it has been beaten by ONE video, which I don't even remember the name of, but it was made by a friend of my mother's in the film industry.... *shi-ver* it was like "Dude, Where's My Car" with worse writing and even worse EVERYTHING else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
Everyone keeps telling me Napoleon Dynamite is great. I don't know why, but, for some reason, I just have this feeling that I will hate it. Isn't that weird?

thats an impossibility. BELIEVE me. I don't know your tastes, but if your smart enough to appreciate the humor in FAMILY GUY-you'll love this.

BTW ringwench just bought a teeshirt for the gym that says
"Under Pedro's Protection" LOL

Jake's Twin
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAURA4LAD wrote:
Enchirito wrote:

thats an impossibility. BELIEVE me. I don't know your tastes, but if your smart enough to appreciate the humor in FAMILY GUY-you'll love this.

BTW ringwench just bought a teeshirt for the gym that says
"Under Pedro's Protection" LOL

Hee hee! A friend of mine has a "Vote for Pedro" shirt, which I so want to steal.

And I found that Napoleon Dynamite was one of those movies that upon first viewing (I guess I was in a weird mood) I was amused but not crazy about it. But thinking about it for a few days afterwards, lines kept popping up in my head and I suddenly felt the need to see it again. Now it's definately one of my favorite comedies.

So even if you see it and aren't that impressed with it originally, it will probably grow on you.
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i posted this in the thread for laura4lad's vid "let go" but i'll re-post it here coz it is oh so true

Quote:
Oh and for those who haven't see Garden State.... I really really really recommend seeing it... I reckon it should have gotten so much more recognition then it did... (it didn't get much in Australia anyway, don't know about anywhere else)

one of my fave movies is donnie darko. it was the weirdest movie i have ever seen but i just really loved it because it was so different. anyone else like it???
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning from the Garden State thread to the indie film-lover's recommendation thread. That being said, I loved Garden State. It was funny first of all, and so even if the drama doesn't get you, the funny should. But there is a point where it stops being funny and is all about the infinite abyss. But by that time you should be sucked in.

Mean Creek! Ha! How happy I am that you have seen this Laura? Love that movie. Love it! It is so well acted and so well scripted it's just wow! It's very moving and stuff. Depressing yes, but moving too. Catharsis is good.

Clerks is definately my favorite of the Jersey series from Kevin Smith. Greatest. Lines. Ever. ("Cute cat, what's its name?" "Annoying customer.") Most quotable movie in the universe.

Saved and Eternal Sunshine were great as well. Not so keen on Napoleon Dynamite. I do crack up whenever Carrie from work quotes it: "Brimme my chapstick!" So there's some kind of redemption going on there.

What can I contribute to this?

Harold and Maude, Sliding Doors, Igby Goes Down (the Culkins strike again), The Safety of Objects, Empire Records...

Freeway! Oh my god, FREEWAY - Reese Witherspoon and Keifer Sutherland. Hilarious black comedy. Also pretty quotable: ( "Just like your ****ing whore of a mother!" "Well I sure wouldn't wanna meet YOUR mom, BOB! What? You can talk about my mom but I can't talk about yours?" )

The list is probably endless, but I have a question - not exactly an indie or even art house, but what did you guys thing of The Village?
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what I hated? Lost in Translation

Sofia Coppola is so overrated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: