Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aislynn's Practical Vidder's Guide To Windows Movie Maker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I followed all the directions for how to get my Symantic Anti-Virus to scan the system. Nothing came up, but I deleted the two quaranteened files that were there from the last scan. I still don't understand how it's not finding the problem, but I'll go through the steps to delete from the registry now and hopefully I'll find something...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*fingers, toes, and eyes crossed even MORE* <-- may not recover from that

Oh, I SO hope you'll be able to safely give this thing the boot! Be sure to back up your registry like it tells you to do first. That way if things go wonky, you can at least restore it again!

Good luck, hon! *squeezy hugs*
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a registry back up, and then followed the directions...only, there was no drwatson32.exe or .dll in the registry So, there was nothing to delete? I wonder if deleting those two quarenteened files did it? I did notice, though, that even after backing up the registry straight to my C drive with the help of "Guide Help" (some weird self-running program that pretty much does it for you)...I miraculously have 1.2GB MORE than I had yesterday

Does that mean the virus was zapped? And if so...how come WMM still hates those episodes?

Gah this is giving me a headache. I'm going to bed. Tomorrow I'm going through the PM you sent me MONTHS ago with all those anti-(insert horrible computer ailment thing here) programs and I'm installing them again. Ugh what a mess.

Thanks for all your help Ais. Looks like I'm going to be forced to vid with what I've got and request clips from the rest because I can't even convert the files properly, since Vegas won't read the video stream of them, WMM won't open them, and Blaze Media Pro completely ruins the resolution of the file

...damn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, at this point, WMM won't open at all. Vegas recognizes the audio streams but not the video streams on my .avis (which is the format ALL my Lost eps are in). I've googled the hell out of the fact that WMM won't even open, but the only solutions I come up with (over and over and over) is that I need to rename .ax and .dll files (codecs, I think), but that if I do so I run the risk of messing up other programs. While I like vidding a lot, it's not that deep. Anyone else have any solutions OTHER than that...or should I just consider my vidding days over for a long while?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy...

Did you try a System Restore or did the restore points get lost in all the virus-killing stuff?
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost when I turned off the restore feature to kill the virus.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh! *sigh* I wish I knew what to tell you but you've pretty much gone beyond my meager amount of knowledge! Did you ever go back and get the anti-spyware/adware programs? Some times they can get something that the anti-virus misses... If you're using Norton, you can turn on the heuristic bloodhound thing that will search for any viruses even if they're not in its virus definitions (and do you have the current definitions, BTW?). Only you know how you're program is all set up, though, so some of those things might not be feasible...

And I think you're wise to be cautious about renaming things, etc. The last thing you want to do is give your computer a lobotomy!

Hm... I'm so sorry not to be of any kind of help in this situation! It's so frustrating when things like this happen!

Oh, do you know how to read the logs in your Event Viewer? Go to Start - Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - Adminstrative Tools - Event Viewer

In there are a truckload of things that detail system errors, application errors and that sort of thing. Have a look through them (don't worry, I think they're pretty much Greek to everybody! ) and note any that's flagged red as an error. Right-click it then click Properties. There's usually a link to Microsoft's error database that'll tell you what the error means and what action, if any, you need to take. You may can read through that and get a clue as to exactly what's going on in there.

And for good measure:

*bites Jen's computer on the ankle* Grrrrr! You never know when that might help, you know... *hugs*
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear Lord, now I'm REALLY confused!

I finally got WMM to open, and I was able to open a project file. I added a clip to it, and when I went to save, I got the error again, followed DIRECTLY by the Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debugger error. So, apparently it's still in my system.

HOWEVER...the Symantec Anti-Virus is still not catching it and it's STILL not in my registry. So, I googled it again, and I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308538/

...so is it a virus or isn't it? I'd never had that error before WMM started really acting up...what's going on?? Gah, where the heck is Warren? He's a genius; he'll know what to do!

*clears throat*

ahem.

WAAAAARRRREEEEENNNNNNN!!!!!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My official diagnosis:

ARGH!

Okay, so WHAT is up with this whole DrWatson thing, then? If I had to take a guess, I'd bet that the virus is named for the legitimate program that it's attacking. But I have NO idea where you should go from here, I'm so sorry to say!
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn has fallen...

j/k!

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually, WMM kicks everybody's butt, it's sad to say...

donna
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi..this is the first time Ive posted here,so, hi! Im hoping I could get some advice about how to get around WMM refusing to import music.I just keep getting a message saying something like 'track is protected using digital rights blah blah blah'. I didnt have this problem before.
Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donna wrote:
Hi..this is the first time Ive posted here,so, hi! Im hoping I could get some advice about how to get around WMM refusing to import music.I just keep getting a message saying something like 'track is protected using digital rights blah blah blah'. I didnt have this problem before.

Did you buy the song from iTunes? If you did, that's probably why it won't let you import it. iTunes songs have some sort of protection on them. I always have to use songs from CDs, or else request it on the song request forum. If you can't get it to work, try requesting it there. Someone should get back to you quickly.

icon by becca
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, donna!

Just like Elyse (Charlies_Innocence) said, I would guess that the song has got some sort of copy protection on it. As far as I know, you can't break that and get WMM to import it which is a real bummer!

Again, though, welcome to LVI!
donna
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for replying and for the welcome.And yep the songs were from itunes so that explains it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: