Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aislynn's Practical Vidder's Guide To Windows Movie Maker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A, at a lot of points you're talking about rendering, but how exactly do I do that?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenix39 wrote:
A, thank you so much for making this thread. Will you marry me?

Awww, what a great offer. Unfortunately, I'm already promised to my Southern bad boy with dimples...

PsychoCynic wrote:
As you're making a vid, every so often (usually when you have a lot of effects/transitions all grouped together or when you have very quick cuts of scenes), delete your audio, and render the movie file. Then import that rendered movie file, stick it into your timeline, and add the music back on. I found that this helps WWM2 overcome its instability and insanity because it doesn't have to "jump around" as much.

You really can't say that one enough, in my opinion!

phoenix39 wrote:
A, at a lot of points you're talking about rendering, but how exactly do I do that?

Rendering is just the fancier name for saving as a movie. In other words, it's the way WMM turns your MSWMM project into a WMV file that can be uploaded and viewed through Windows Movie Player (or any other player that plays WMVs, of course) after you click File - Save Movie File.

You can render in pieces by just deleting the audio and any other clips you need to (after saving your original file, of course!), then clicking File - Save Movie File. Then you can go back to your original project file and import the now-WMV piece in and use it to replace your original files. As PC said, that will really help WMM not be so unstable since it doesn't have to "remember" so much.

Hope that all makes sense!
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so afraid to do this...I was sure it was going to bite me in the ass quality-wise, but I finally got the stupid thing to save after I did this extra rendering step and it turned out just fine. Thanks for the advice! Also...I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be vidding at ALL if not for this thread. The fact of the matter is, when I decided to give vidding a whirl for the first time, I did not even attempt to start without watching all of Warren's orientation stuff and then reading this tutorial from start to finish. Now, if only we could clone Ais and Warren and have the clones over our shoulders at all times during vidding, I think we'd all be phenomenal vidders right from the start
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, A. -hugs-
trexyecart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I am having major importing issues. I've been able to successfully import clips from both S! & S2 vids thanks to Morelight's tutorial, but suddenly, when I try import a clip, it doesn't get split into separate clips - its only one clip. And yes, the box that says "make clips" is checked. When I try and right click on the clip in the collection box to select "make clips", it freezes.

And when I try to drag it to the timeline, it goes directly to the audio line. It won't drop to the video line unless I cut and paste it. And it refuses to work there - it freezes my WMM.

The clip won't play in the preview box either - a separate box pops up labeled "ActiveMovie Window".

As I said, I've imported these before NO PROBLEM. The only thing that is different is that I installed Movie Edit Pro 11, but that was two days ago, and I've been importing in WMM since then just fine (reauthored the same way, all are mpg) - UNTIL TODAY.

What went wrong? Any clip I import is of this quality, and I can't render it to make it workable. I uninstalled Movie Edit Pro, but I wonder if there is a box somewhere I need to check to make WMM the primary again, now that the other program is gone?

I tried the WMM forum, but one guy wasn't answered, and the others appeared to have files that weren't mpg, or no codec.

I am at an absolute stand still. HELP!! *cries*
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been having this problem with .avi clips in my WMM program. They would import, cut into clips, edit, and play JUST FINE, but whenever I saved a project and then closed WMM, if I went to try to reopen that project at a later time, I could not get it to open, because of the .avi clips. I'm hoping that no one else is having this problem, but just in case anyone is, I found a solution. It's sort of a pain, but it works.

When I download an .avi clip from someone or from a webpage, I save it to my desktop and then I create a new folder on my desktop and put nothing in it. I import the clip, do what I'm doing with it and then save the project. When the time comes that I want to open this project file and work with it again, I move the offending clip into the folder on my desktop so that WMM doesn't recognize it. Therefore, the project opens without freezing my WMM. After the project is open, I move the clip out of the folder and back onto the desktop and give WMM a minute or two to recognize that the clip is again available and this seems to work for me just fine

Hopefully this will work for anyone else who happens to have the same problem. It has worked for me numerous times on a couple of vids. It's a hassle, but you don't have to start all over again, so that's helpful

Much love all
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trexyecart wrote:
Ugh, I am having major importing issues. I've been able to successfully import clips from both S! & S2 vids thanks to Morelight's tutorial, but suddenly, when I try import a clip, it doesn't get split into separate clips - its only one clip. And yes, the box that says "make clips" is checked. When I try and right click on the clip in the collection box to select "make clips", it freezes.

And when I try to drag it to the timeline, it goes directly to the audio line. It won't drop to the video line unless I cut and paste it. And it refuses to work there - it freezes my WMM.

The clip won't play in the preview box either - a separate box pops up labeled "ActiveMovie Window".

As I said, I've imported these before NO PROBLEM. The only thing that is different is that I installed Movie Edit Pro 11, but that was two days ago, and I've been importing in WMM since then just fine (reauthored the same way, all are mpg) - UNTIL TODAY.

What went wrong? Any clip I import is of this quality, and I can't render it to make it workable. I uninstalled Movie Edit Pro, but I wonder if there is a box somewhere I need to check to make WMM the primary again, now that the other program is gone?

I tried the WMM forum, but one guy wasn't answered, and the others appeared to have files that weren't mpg, or no codec.

I am at an absolute stand still. HELP!! *cries*

I am SO sorry that I didn't see this when you first posted it!

This sounds like one of those deep, truly messed up problems that WMM can get into. You might have a better bet reinstalling WMM again and hoping that that will write over whatever bit of code has gotten corrupted somewhere along the way.

If I may ask, why did you uninstall Movie Edit Pro 11? Unfortunately, the easiest way to stop WMM from acting up is to switch to another program! If, however, that's not a possibility for whatever reason and WMM is your only available video editing program, then I would try reinstalling it and cross your fingers that that will take care of the problem.

As far as I know, you don't have to have a "primary" vidding program. I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio but I've gone back to do little things here and there with WMM (usually while I'm trying to remember how it works so to answer a question! ) and haven't had any problem switching between the two.

Man, I hope you're able to get this straightened out! And again, I'm so sorry not to have seen this when you posted it. I'm not much help, I'm afraid, but I certainly would've at least answered.

Jen, that is a BRILLIANT solution to getting around WMM's weird .AVI problem! (I've never understood why WMM has so much problem with AVI... AVI is a Microsoft format. WMM is made by Microsoft. Yet, they're incompatible??? *smacks Microsoft in the head* D'oh! ) Anyway, thanks for sharing your solution! You never know when some desperate soul will come across it and you'll save them hours of agony trying to figure out what to do!
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob, Ais I hope no one has that same problem, but if they DO...at least now maybe they'll have a way to fix it
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so...I think I might cry. I've been importing (which, btw, takes like half an hour an episode) Lost eps into WMM for a few days now and today I went to do another import--I'm nearly finished importing all of Lost--and when it finished, WMM got an error and closed, which, of course, didn't save the fact that I'd spent half an hour importing the stupid episode to begin with. While that's irritating, I'd be okay with re-doing it...if WMM wouldnt' immediately close as soon as I try to do so without even so much as an error message. What the heck?! So I tried some other episodes, but they wouldn't work either...I'd think it was that the episode files were corrupt, but...I mean, it imported fully the first time, and I didn't get the error until I tried to close the program. Any ideas?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh! More annoying WMM neurotic twitches, huh?

Let's tackle this in parts. First, the slow importing thing...

I'm presuming the eps are the "usual" 350 MB AVI? I don't recall how much RAM you have but half an hour per ep to import is a crummy thing! I actually have WMM chugging away rendering down an AVI ep for me right now and it's been taking a few minutes at most to import the 350 MB AVIs. You may or may know the trick of taking the check off of the "create clips" box (it's down at the bottom of the window that pops up when you click Import). That will make anything import a lot faster, though you do have to later on have it sort the eps out into clips since you won't want to be plowing through an entire episode in a whack while you're trying to vid! Vegas might be set up for that but WMM doesn't have a trimmer in which to cut out clips!

Usually low RAM is the culprit behind many WMM problems. I'm sure you already know to not have any other programs open if you can help it while you're working in WMM, especially if RAM is an issue. And pretty much RAM is going to be an issue if you have anything under 1 GB, sad to say.

Onto the worse problem, the crashing thing...

Okay, let me see if I have this straight. You imported an ep and right as it finished importing, WMM got an error and closed (you didn't happen to note what error it was, did you? I keep a notepad and pencil handy next to the computer, just for jotting those things down... ). Now WMM immediately closes as soon as you try to import that ep again or any other ep?

Do you still have Vegas or any other sort of video editing program? You could try importing those eps into it just to see if they work. Also, will those eps play in Media Player? If there's a codec problem, sometimes WMP won't be able to play it either (although strangely enough, some things that won't play in WMP WILL import into WMM, so that's not a fool-proof method of sussing out a problem).

If nothing at all will now import into WMM, then that sounds unfortunately serious. Have you done a recent anti-virus/anti-malware scan of any kind to make sure that some sort of beastie didn't infect you?

A few other questions:

Can WMM open any of the eps that were imported before this happened? Can it open any projects? Can you still vid with the eps already imported in? Those kind of things will give you an idea of how far-reaching the problem may be. Also, are you still running the Service Pack 1 with WMM 2?

Sorry I don't have any answers for you but this is how I've had to diagnose my own WMM problems over the years, by doing some poking around and seeing what still works and what doesn't!

Oh and don't cry! *gives Jen a plate of oven-fresh chocolate chip cookies and a nice glass of milk, as well as a teddy bear to hug and a new Boone clone to pamper her* Hopefully those will be a little bit comforting while we're trying to figure this out! *hugs*
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
You may or may know the trick of taking the check off of the "create clips" box (it's down at the bottom of the window that pops up when you click Import). That will make anything import a lot faster, though you do have to later on have it sort the eps out into clips since you won't want to be plowing through an entire episode in a whack while you're trying to vid! Vegas might be set up for that but WMM doesn't have a trimmer in which to cut out clips!

Yeah, I know that trick but I like the clips there so that I can see what pieces are what...that's actually why I DON'T use Vegas, even though it's awesome and I have it...I hate having to sort through the whole stupid episode to find the clips, instead of just looking at the many different clips created. So, I don't want to uncheck that box, even though I know it would be faster.

Quote:
Usually low RAM is the culprit behind many WMM problems. I'm sure you already know to not have any other programs open if you can help it while you're working in WMM, especially if RAM is an issue. And pretty much RAM is going to be an issue if you have anything under 1 GB, sad to say.

I know this, too, which is why I purchased a new memory thingie and maxed out my laptop for RAM, making it 1.25GB. So...it's more than 1GB, but not by much...though that's as high as my laptop will allow.

Quote:
Onto the worse problem, the crashing thing...

Okay, let me see if I have this straight. You imported an ep and right as it finished importing, WMM got an error and closed (you didn't happen to note what error it was, did you? I keep a notepad and pencil handy next to the computer, just for jotting those things down... ). Now WMM immediately closes as soon as you try to import that ep again or any other ep?

Actually, I imported the ep and the program was fine. When I tried to close WMM, though, it suddenly gave the "(Not Responding)" thing at the top and then errored out. When I tried to open the program and re-import, yes, it closes immediately when I try to import any ep that I haven't already imported. Others that I've previously imported and I try to re-import as a second collection just to check, work perfectly fine.

Quote:
Do you still have Vegas or any other sort of video editing program? You could try importing those eps into it just to see if they work. Also, will those eps play in Media Player? If there's a codec problem, sometimes WMP won't be able to play it either (although strangely enough, some things that won't play in WMP WILL import into WMM, so that's not a fool-proof method of sussing out a problem).

Yes, I still have Vegas, however, when I drag an episode into the timeline or trimmer, it only creates the audio peaks and doesn't recognize the video stream for some reason--that's only for .avi, by the way; it works fine for .wmv. And, yes, WMP plays the episodes just fine.

Quote:
If nothing at all will now import into WMM, then that sounds unfortunately serious. Have you done a recent anti-virus/anti-malware scan of any kind to make sure that some sort of beastie didn't infect you?

There are still things that will import with no problems whatsoever, so that's not it, I don't think. And last night I ran a virus scan and came up empty, so unless the scan missed it, I think I'm okay. I did, however, notice that whenever WMM errors out...immediately thereafter, I receive an error about a program called DrWatson32 (this is IF WMM errors out instead of just disappearing from my screen). I don't know what this program is...and I know that I didn't download it, but the virus scan didn't pick anything up from it. I'm in the process of doing another scan right now, just in case, and if no one else has heard of this program, even if it still doesn't pick up in the virus scan, I'm going to search my computer for it and get rid of it. Or, I guess, if I can't find it, then I'll know it's spy/adware or whatever and I'll just have to do a system restore, because the computer was fine last night...this is the first time I've used WMM since I turned my computer back on today

Quote:
A few other questions:

Can WMM open any of the eps that were imported before this happened?

Yes.

Quote:
Can it open any projects?

It takes much longer than it normally does, but yes, it still opens projects.

Quote:
Can you still vid with the eps already imported in?

Yes.

Quote:
Also, are you still running the Service Pack 1 with WMM 2?

No, after I reformatted my hard drive, I'm now running Service Pack 2 just fine, because I reformatted with a different Windows disc, which seems to get along just fine with SP2.

Quote:
Oh and don't cry! *gives Jen a plate of oven-fresh chocolate chip cookies and a nice glass of milk, as well as a teddy bear to hug and a new Boone clone to pamper her* Hopefully those will be a little bit comforting while we're trying to figure this out! *hugs*

Aww thanks, Ais *snuggles Boone clone and teddy bear whilst enjoying (and SHARING, because I'm awesome like that) cookies and milk* Geez, you're even better at comforting issues than my mom is! You should give her a lesson, my Twin.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the bad news is... DrWatson32 IS a virus. It's a Trojan that came in with something else and is mucking around with things in there. I Googled DrWatson32 and got a bunch of hits about it. Here's what Symantec (who runs Norton anti-virus) says about it if you're interested in the details they give. The important part in removing the Trojan.Dremn thingie (which is the official name of the DrWatson virus or so it seems) is to turn OFF System Restore before you scan it with an anti-virus because System Restore will often restore the infected files even if you kill them with an anti-virus by virtue of the fact that System Restore may be keeping a copy of the infected files.

What's troubling is the fact that your anti-virus didn't pick it up. Now, I'm certainly no expert on these things but if I were you, I'd do a bit of research on this thing and see if you can find something free that can kill it. Also be sure to run any anti-spyware/adware programs you might have as well. Hopefully something will be able to kill it!

I'd also make sure to scan the episode you were trying to import when all of this happened, just to see if there's something lurking in there. Sorry I'm not more help! This is just the stuff I do for my computer when something attacks it, so I'm just passing it on to you to do with whatever you can!

*sends more hugs, cookies, Boone clones and some friendly computer tech wizards* If only it was that easy, huh?

Oops, almost forgot this part:

Quote:
Or, I guess, if I can't find it, then I'll know it's spy/adware or whatever and I'll just have to do a system restore, because the computer was fine last night...this is the first time I've used WMM since I turned my computer back on today

You can try the System Restore first before you turn it off (since that'll clear all of your previous Restore points). Then if that doesn't work in getting rid of that thing, then you'll have no choice but to turn off System Restore when you find something that says it can kill it.

A curse on all nasty people who make viruses/malware/etc!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo and I also forgot to mention that you're totally awesome for screencapping the error message (score!) AND for paying attention to things that were happening around WMM as well, such as noting that DrWatson thing (score again!)! That's the whole key to figuring these things out: picking up on all the clues and trying to see what they mean! You can't really do much to save an ailing computer on your own if you have no idea where the problem is even coming from!

I just wanted to give you the "atta girl!" that you so rightly deserved! Atta girl!

mistojen wrote:
Aww thanks, Ais Smile *snuggles Boone clone and teddy bear whilst enjoying (and SHARING, because I'm awesome like that) cookies and milk* Geez, you're even better at comforting issues than my mom is! You should give her a lesson, my Twin.

Awwwwwwwwwww! *blushes* Thanks! *big hugs*
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACK! Why the heck didn't MY Norton find this problem?!?

*follows removal directions on link you sent*

Thanks, Ais. I'll let you know if this helps once it's finished.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, that's a good question as to why Norton didn't find it the first time. But hopefully you'll be able to remove it successfully AND maybe that will clear up the WMM problem! *fingers, toes AND eyes crossed for you!* Let me know how it goes! *hugs*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: