Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aislynn's Practical Vidder's Guide To Windows Movie Maker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitney, hope your project came out okay! You're very welcome!

Meandi, awwwww... Now I'm all blushing! I'm glad if I was able to be of some help. I know that the most frustrating thing for me when I was really struggling with WMM was in feeling like I was all alone! It made me feel so much better just to know that other people had dealt with similar problems! I just know that you'll be able to send in your vid one day! And then hopefully many more after that!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i have downloaded some effects and tired to use them and i can't find them on my movie maker
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to check is to make sure you have WMM 2 and not 1 (which doesn't allow any effects ).

So try clicking Help - About Windows Movie Maker and something like this should come up:

Quote:
Microsoft Windows Movie Maker
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.(a bunch of letters and numbers ) : Service Pack 2
Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation
Windows Movie Maker Version 2.1 (a bunch of other numbers )

If it says version 1, then effects unfortunately won't work in it.

If you DO have version 2, the next common problem is that the effects aren't in the folder that WMM is looking for them in. You need to create a folder named AddOnTFX inside of WMM's Shared file. The path would look like this:

C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX

Then if you're downloading an effect, put it in that AddOnTFX file after you create it. If the effect was zipped or anything, you'll have to unzip it first. If you're copying XML code, you'll need to save it into the AddOnTFX folder out of Notepad or whatever else you're using to save it in and when you save it, the extension on it MUST be .XML.

Also, if you've already created that AddOnTFX folder and done all of that, make sure that you restart WMM if it was already on when you saved the effect into the folder.

Another sometimes tricky thing that can happen is that an effect shows up in the titles area instead of under effects or transitions. Depending on the effect, it might be in there instead of where you're expecting it so take a look through the Titles, just to be sure.

Let me know if any of that does the trick for you!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thanks i just already had that folder and i made a new one so those effects wouldn't work but it all works now thanks

and hate to be fussy but do you know where i can get the effect which you have the two clips on the screen - like a dream or something where the clip pop ups in the corner?

but thanks for helping me out
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, charmed_charlie! That's what we're here for!

You can't get the effects as customized as you can with something like Sony Vegas, unfortunately (where you can move the clips around and resize them and all that) BUT you can get some basic picture-in-picture effects from Rehan.

Here's the link right to where you can download the zip file and you can also get a preview of what each split screen looks like. It's not perfect but at least it's something! You just have play around with it and see what you can get it to do!

http://www.rehanfx.org/split_video.htm

Good luck!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks thats helped me out alot thank you soo much
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have to have the Service Pack 2 to have WMM 2. WMM 2 won't work with the Service Pack 1.

...unless, of course, you're me, in which case this rule does not apply.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I STILL can't figure that one out!

I think what it must be is that, since you did have the SP2 on your computer, then had to remove it, that there's still some lingering bits of it there, enough that it's able to support WMM 2.

At least, that's my theory anyway...
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maintain that it's because I'm just too awesome to need SP2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that!
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if WMM2 hates me almost as much as SP2 does... I can NOT get the stupid thing to render completely. So, I tried taking the music out to render it and it's pretty much doing the same thing. Next step, I guess, is to try to render it in sections. Could this be more annoying...? How come I never had problems like this with WMM1? It rendered perfectly on the first try...maybe to compensate for complete and total lack of anything interesting...actually, anything at all in the effects/transitions department?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're right! I remember asking Warren that SAME question back when I switched from 1 to 2: "Why is this thing more crazy than 1? Why does it have so much trouble rendering/getting the timing right/whatever else thing it was doing at the time?" And that was what he told me. Effects, titles and transitions end up making it less stable than the first version.
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boo, WMM2. Stop being such a biotch. I'm ALMOST done with this month's contest vid, dammit, and all I have to do is render it and watch it to make sure that it's all in sync after my changes. Is that really so much to ask?
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A, thank you so much for making this thread. Will you marry me?
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little hint that I've picked up along the way of using the dreadful WWM2. A lot of people probably already know this, but here it is.

As you're making a vid, every so often (usually when you have a lot of effects/transitions all grouped together or when you have very quick cuts of scenes), delete your audio, and render the movie file. Then import that rendered movie file, stick it into your timeline, and add the music back on. I found that this helps WWM2 overcome its instability and insanity because it doesn't have to "jump around" as much. I hope that helps anyone.

And sorry for being redundant if the great Aislynn has already addressed that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: