Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aislynn's Practical Vidder's Guide To Windows Movie Maker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in England so the full Sony Vegas isnt available here yet (I dont think), but Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6.0 is so that was the one I was gonna get anyway Thanks for the advice though im sure you've helped others who are sick of WMM - Stupid, annoying program. I hate it so much for what it did to me

Oh, can you tell that I am still pissed at WMM BTW?

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a WMM Anger Management Support Group, huh?

Anyway, I think you'll like Movie Studio once you get the hang of it. I suggest making full use of Polarbear's Vegas tutorial to get going: http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3869

I found out straight away that you can't be shy about asking for help, especially at the start, because Vegas is rather intimidating. Or at least, it was to ME!

You definitely WON'T miss all of WMM's neurotic twitches, though! Hope you can get it soon!
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well i'd be in Anger Managment for WMM untill the day I die at this rate. I'm tellin' ya, when i'm 70 I still wouldnt be over the whole Transitions & Effects thing!

And thanks Aislynn, im saving up already and I should have it by next month! I can see myself sitting infront of the compter already... making my first Vegas vid

I imagine I will get frustrated with S.V though, I think im gonna miss the easyness of WMM, but I sure as hell won't miss the crashing of it

Thanks again

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
I suggest making full use of Polarbear's Vegas tutorial to get going: http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3869

I tried that but STILL didn't get Vegas for some reason. It could be that I am a ditz, but for some reason despite having Vegas on my computer I sit there and stare nonetheless and then go back to WMM.

Speaking as an ex-film student too, it's something I should presumably be able to get, but for some reason, I don't. Not sure why.
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone who may know the answer.

For sites like this http://www.arronpegg.com/wmmarchive/Effects1.html, I know how to get the effects/transitions. Download them into my ADDONTFX file, etc, etc.

But how do I add on effects that only provide the code. For instance, something like this - http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=60451. Do I copy the code somewhere and save it in the ADDONTFX file. If I do? What do I copy it in?

I appreciate any help! Thanks!
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this one!

Quote:
How to use the XML files:

Copy and paste into Notepad or any text editor.
Save in C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX\*.xml
Restart Movie Maker.

Replace the * with the name of the effect. The important thing is to copy it into the right file and use the .xml extension.
Spiral Static
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
Aislynn wrote:
I suggest making full use of Polarbear's Vegas tutorial to get going: http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3869

I tried that but STILL didn't get Vegas for some reason. It could be that I am a ditz, but for some reason despite having Vegas on my computer I sit there and stare nonetheless and then go back to WMM.

Speaking as an ex-film student too, it's something I should presumably be able to get, but for some reason, I don't. Not sure why.

That's exactly what I was like when I first got it..

I would open it up..press a few buttons, then get scared and go back to WMM..

But seriously..just go with the flow and start making something, you get the hang of it a lot quicker than you would think, and it's actually VERY easy to use once you have worked out the basics. Just take a few clips, stick them on the timeline and practice adding effects and transitions to them. Then when you have experimented more, have a go at a simple, short video..

I think it's just the transition from simple old WMM to advanced new Vegas..which makes it look a lot more complicated than it actually is..
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
I know this one!

Quote:
How to use the XML files:

Copy and paste into Notepad or any text editor.
Save in C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX\*.xml
Restart Movie Maker.

Replace the * with the name of the effect. The important thing is to copy it into the right file and use the .xml extension.

Thanks, Aislynn! That method worked wonders! Unfortunately, some of these effects don't do anything when they're set up in WMM, so I got it for nothing. But it's good to know. Thank-you muchly!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't even started on a video and WMM is already making me cry. Agh. Basically, when I try to import video files, it tells me I don't have the codec required to play the file back installed. But, you know, I OBVIOUSLY DO AS I'VE WATCHED THESE FILES A MILLION TIMES K. They're .avi, and I've tried finding alternate codecs but I pretty much have my computer loaded with codecs. I also checked that option on the Options panel about finding & downloading codecs.

I have one thing to say to WMM.

WTF. ;_;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spiral Static
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitney wrote:
I haven't even started on a video and WMM is already making me cry. Agh. Basically, when I try to import video files, it tells me I don't have the codec required to play the file back installed. But, you know, I OBVIOUSLY DO AS I'VE WATCHED THESE FILES A MILLION TIMES K. They're .avi, and I've tried finding alternate codecs but I pretty much have my computer loaded with codecs. I also checked that option on the Options panel about finding & downloading codecs.

WTF. ;_;

If you go to Polar Bear's Vegas 6.0 Tutorial..he links you to a AVI FourCC Code Changer.

I used to get the same problem, and after following the instructions he gave, they seemed to import fine.
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitney wrote:

WTF. ;_;

I have the exact same problem with WMM. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution. AVIs simply won't work in my WMM. However, WMV files do work. I would advise you to try to import a WMV clip and see if it works. And if it does, you're just going to have to hunt for WMV files from now on.

Hope that helped!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tweaked with WMM and got them to import fine--now the problem is, I place clips and such just fine until a minute or so in, and then I'll place one and the program will randomly close without any error messages or anything.

I'll go take a look at Polarbear's stuff and see if that helps.

Sometimes I think everything Microsoft exists just to make people cry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitney wrote:
Well, I tweaked with WMM and got them to import fine--now the problem is, I place clips and such just fine until a minute or so in, and then I'll place one and the program will randomly close without any error messages or anything.

I'll go take a look at Polarbear's stuff and see if that helps.

Sometimes I think everything Microsoft exists just to make people cry.

Sorry I didn't see your first post until now, Whitney! Thanks Spiral and PC for fielding the question!

About your newest question... You mentioned that you have a lot of codecs already. Probably this is a codec conflict that's causing WMM to suddenly shut down like that. Unfortunately there's no easy answer to that.

Some of how I personally would proceed depends on how many clips you have and what quality they already are. If you don't have hundreds of clips (I had more than 200 at one time! ) and they're not already in kinda bad shape (blurry and pixelated) then I'd probably try rerendering them. (I'd probably start with whatever the last clip it was that you remember putting on the line before WMM shut down.)

You just open a new project and put the entire clip on the timeline, (you could even "ride" a few of them together if they're not very long) then render it at as high a quality as you have room for on the hard drive. If you convert all of your clips over in that fashion, then that'll smooth out the codec conflicts since they'll be using only the codec on your own computer.

If that's just not practical to do, then you can try rendering your project as you go along. A description of that process can be found here.

Unfortunately even rerendering all your clips is no guarantee that WMM will straighten up and fly right. But it's a place to start.

WMM is notoriously neurotic. But the trick to working with it with any degree of success is to figure out your own personal version's neurotic tics and learn to work around them. Good luck!

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whitney

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rendering and opening a new project seems to be working. At least for now. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed.)

Thanks bunches for your help!
meandi
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AISLYNN, YOU ARE AN ANGEL!
Seriously, reading all of your guide makes me sure of whatever problem it is I'm having with my vid, it's going to be submitted sometime! If it's going to be in 23 000 years, or in 23 days - someday I will submit it you give me hope, Ais.
And once again thanks for your guidelines and help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: