Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aislynn's Practical Vidder's Guide To Windows Movie Maker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yowza, you really hit the jackpot of WMM problems, huh, Moonfruit? So sorry to hear that!

Was it the installation process of the SP2 that crashed 3 times? I'm no expert in this at all but that sounds like a software conflict of some sort going on. Have you gotten the SP2 installed at last? Is there any other program that is no longer working correctly or are you getting any other sorts of error messages that you hadn't gotten before? Anything like that can be a clue as to what's going on in there...

When I had trouble with my computer last year, I got in the habit of writing down every error message then searching it on the Internet and trying to find out more about it. Sometimes you end up getting lucky!

If you're not getting any other kinds of errors, just this problem with WMM, then asking on a WMM forum is a good place to start. You can also try just searching out various combinations of terms like "no video in Windows Movie Maker" and things like that. Sometimes you'll get lucky that way and get taken to some place where somebody's had that problem before.

Sorry that I'm not much help on this one at all. I've found that nothing can be more twitchy and neurotic than a computer!

Best of luck! I really hope you can get it all worked out! Let me know how it goes, won't you?
Moonfruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, everything always seems to be going wrong on this old thing!
Actually, the first time I tried to install sp2, I was using wmm1 at the same time and wmm crashed my computer. The second time, I accidentally clicked the cancel button(It was behind another box I was trying to move) . In my defence, I haven't slept for almost two days!

No-ones replied to my post on the wmm forum, but I think I've pretty much got the problem/s sorted now. Thanks for all the help!
xoxStephxox
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide!! especially the effects and transistions part -That'll def be keeping me occupied with new vids over the summer!!

question thought ... I wanted to attempt to make a trailer, only for the life of me, i cant figure out how to add different audio to a different clip - on top of music.

For example, m video clip shows the kiss by jack and kate. The audio i want is "we all get to start over" yet i still want the music in the background. ALl i can seem to do is get the audio and the vid. THe music wont work at the same time. I can overlap the music with the audio clip - the way you can overlap different vid clips - but i cant seem to just put the audio on top of the music ...

god if you understand that your a genious! lol - please help me if you can
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonfruit wrote:
I know, everything always seems to be going wrong on this old thing!
Actually, the first time I tried to install sp2, I was using wmm1 at the same time and wmm crashed my computer. The second time, I accidentally clicked the cancel button(It was behind another box I was trying to move) . In my defence, I haven't slept for almost two days!

No-ones replied to my post on the wmm forum, but I think I've pretty much got the problem/s sorted now. Thanks for all the help!

Hey Moonfruit! I'm glad you got it all sorted out! (I didn't have any luck at getting responses at WMM forums when I had all my trouble either... ) But as long as it's all working now, that's all that matters! Happy vidding!

xoxStephxox wrote:
I wanted to attempt to make a trailer, only for the life of me, i cant figure out how to add different audio to a different clip - on top of music.

For example, m video clip shows the kiss by jack and kate. The audio i want is "we all get to start over" yet i still want the music in the background. ALl i can seem to do is get the audio and the vid. THe music wont work at the same time. I can overlap the music with the audio clip - the way you can overlap different vid clips - but i cant seem to just put the audio on top of the music ...

god if you understand that your a genious! lol - please help me if you can

Hey there, xoxStephxox! No worries, I think I know what you're asking! See if this helps you:

Quote:
To use audio from a different clip: you actually need to complete and render the vid first, so that all that's missing is the audio clips you want to add. Make sure not to render it at a low setting (I still recommend good ol' 512 kbps but it's whatever works best for you) because you're going to have to render it again to attach the extra audio. Import your rendered vid and make it a new project. Make sure to leave the Set Audio Level where you can hear both the Audio from Video (which is now your song) and the Audio/Music (where your extra audio is going to be). Then you can grab the video clips you want and drag them onto the Audio/Music line. You won't see them but you'll be able to hear them. Drag them to where you want the audio clips to be and trim as needed. Then render the whole thing again and you'll have a vid with music and extra audio clips.

Thanks so much for the kind words, too! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
xoxStephxox
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help! i think i get what you mean, you save it as a regular montage and then "Double track" it with the extra audio and then save again ? *goes and tries* thank yoU!!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question -

I just lost all my episodes and am now having fun (by fun, I mean no fun at all) re-importing them.

Is there a way to back up the collections so that this doesn't happen again?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that that worked for you, xoxStephxox!

Ugh, tfc. To say that that sucks is a serious understatement. I haven't found anything about backing up the collections file (which would be an extremely good thing to be able to do!) but at least you're not alone in your problem:

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=57526

I'll keep researching and see what I can find! (Windowsmoviemakers.net is a great place to poke around. If you should happen to find anything on your own, be sure to let us know, okay? )

I mean the "us" as in fellow WMM users. Not the royal us. Just thought I might should clarify.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My image of you is totally changed now, Aislynn.

PS in general terms: The copy of Three Minutes on TVLost is what made WMM crash on me. Twice. Do not download it, people; even if there's nothing explicitly wrong with it, I think it's jacked up.

At least I had the foresight to save all of my episodes in one folder, so I don't have to hunt around through my computer. Small miracles and all that.

Another question: I am interested in creating custom effects/transitions. Do you know anywhere that presents a non-insane tutorial for this? Microsoft's is so badly written as to be almost unreadable.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*gasp* My secret is out!

Not meaning to be a big WMM.net pimp but I've found a lot of info on customizing transitions and effects in their Showcase forum. Also check PapaJohn's stuff (there a link to his site in his sig).

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/Default.aspx

I haven't found a nice tutorial per se about writing XML effects but some of the things you can pick up just by looking at how other people write theirs. Also, there are lots of links out to other people's sites and perhaps one of them has written a better tutorial than the MS one. (I looked at it once as well and my brain almost dribbled out my ear! )

*rides away in car, waving in a dignified manner*
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the helpfile (WMM2):

To back up the collections file
In My Computer or Windows Explorer, locate the following folder on your computer:
\Documents and Settings\UserAccountName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Movie Maker

Select the collections file Mediatab.dat file in the folder.
On the Edit menu, click Copy.
Choose another location on your computer or accessible from your computer.
On the Edit menu, click Paste.
It is recommended that you copy the collections file to another location either on your computer or that is accessible from your computer, such as a recordable CD, shared network location, or compressed media drive. Therefore, if your existing collections file become unusable or is lost, you can then use this collections file to restore your collections in Windows Movie Maker.

To restore the collections file:
Close Windows Movie Maker.
In My Computer or Windows Explorer, locate the folder that contains the backup copy of the collections file Mediatab.dat.
Select the Mediatab.dat file.
On the Edit menu, click Copy.
Open the following folder:
\Documents and Settings\UserAccountName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Movie Maker

On the Edit menu, click Paste.
The collections in Windows Movie Maker appears as they did originally when the collections file was backed up, provided the source files still remain in their original locations and have the same names as when each file was originally imported.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!

When it doubt, check Help first, huh? Thank you very kindly for the info!
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help, help and more help.

I just went to make a new video, and I clicked on Effects, and nothing was there! No 'Fade out to black', no nothing! Also everything has gone in my Transitions folder too! I've restarted my computer 3 times and they are still not there!

What has happened here? How can I get them back?

I would SOOOOOO appreciate your help!

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yowza, yet another WMM jackpot, huh?

The very first thing I would check, I think, is the version number. I have actually just read about WMM 2 spontaneously reverting back to WMM 1.

To check your version:

Click Help - About Windows Movie Maker and something like this should come up...

Quote:

Microsoft Windows Movie Maker
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.(a bunch of letters and numbers ) : Service Pack 2
Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation
Windows Movie Maker Version 2.1 (a bunch of other numbers )

If says version 1 (and you know for sure that you DID have version 2 before), then go here and download version 2.1 again:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx

Hopefully that will do the trick!

Sorry not to have answered sooner, BTW. I was gone for a few days. Anyway, let me know how it goes!
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I definatly have WMM 2.1. Ive searched for help on google and SO SO many people have said that WMM was fine one day and then all their transitions and effects were gone the next. I read somewhere that they come back on their own, but God knows when that'll be! Anyway, im saving up for Sony Vegas 6.0 (even though it is a bit more trickier) and if the transitions and effects come back, then they come back - but I think i've finally given up on WMM now.

The cheek of it! Deleting all my transitions and effects out of the blue! God.

Anyway thanks for your help Aislynn, you try your best and thats all anyone can do

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMM does have some serious mental issues, doesn't it?

I can recommend Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6.0 as a cheaper solution than the full version of Vegas 6.0, BTW... It uses the same editing engine as the full version (though it doesn't have unlimited video and audio tracks -- it has 3 of each) BUT so far I haven't run into anything that I needed more than 3 for anyway! And it IS more complicated to learn but well worth the trouble to take the time to figure out, IMO.

Movie Studio is usually found for anywhere between $60 - $90 as opposed to Vegas' several hundred dollar price tag. However, thanks to an awesome rebate deal that MoreLight pointed out, I was able to get mine for $10! So that was why I pounced on it!

My biggest endorsement for Movie Studio/Vegas: I haven't had it crash once! WMM is still a decent "intro to vidding" program but once you're familiar with vidding and are just plain sick of dealing with all the crashes and glitches, then I think it's time to paddle out deeper in the Video Editing Software Pool...

Best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: