Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a song that's already been used?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you do if somebody has already used a song that you want to use for a vid?
Use it anyway
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Use it only if it's for a different character or ship than the first vid
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Ask the vidder if they care if you use it too
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Forget the whole idea - if you snooze, you lose!
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Other
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostzilla wrote:
Where's my kiss?

*grabs Nate and plants a huge kiss on him*

Oh wait... You weren't talking to me, were you?

Thanks to all for answering my question (and sorry to have sparked an arguement... ). I totally didn't do a "better" vid than Vicky's; I just tried to do a different one (and hopefully my idea was different enough that it didn't seem like I was just trying to copy hers!). I think my own feelings run towards either asking the vidder first or just not doing it at all.

I mean, even though none of us own the songs, there's a lot of potential to hurt somebody's feelings here. Better safe than sorry, I suppose... That said, I don't know what I'm going to do about this one song I have in mind. I still have 2 other vids to do before I can even think about doing it, so I'll just have to see how it feels at the time, I guess!

Thanks again! I appreciate all of you guys giving me your insight!
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallen_angel wrote:
lol

*mwah* @ Nate

there's your kiss
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I got kisses from two hottest ladies on LVI, hmm too excited.

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
cclsf
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Using a song that's already been used? Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
This seems to happen to me a lot: I hear a song and absolutely fall in love with it for a particular vid idea. But then I run and to see if somebody's already used it...and of course they have.

Normally, I just forget the whole vid idea (though I couldn't seem to let go of "Blow Me Away" and so I asked Vicky if she cared if I used it. Vicky kindly said she didn't mind and I used it for "Saving Sun"). But I'd be really interested to hear how you guys handle this. IF it ever seems to happen to you. Maybe you've got your finger on the pulse of the "cool music" and nab awesome songs before anybody else does!

Anyway, I'd love to hear what y'all think about this! *makes big adorable puppy dog eyes*

Yeah, this happens to me all the time!

For me, it usually depends on how new the other video is, and also how good the other video is.

If the video that has the same song idea as me is really good, then i will usually just forget about the whole thing. But if i think i can maybe match the other videos standards then i might have go! As long as the theme of the video isn't the same.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say the second option. I wouldn't want to make a video with the same song and the same theme as another person anyways not only does it overshadow their vid, but it also means nobody will care about my vid because it's not a new idea.
But if the idea is different then I don't see any problem with taking the same song. Take my "Hallelujah" Jate vid for example it's COMPLETELY different from that Charlie angst vid that the previous maker of that song did Plus, I wasn't too fond of that vid, and it was really old... so I didn't see much of a problem with it.

It's just a common courtesy. I mean, we vidders have no "law" around here, we could Clip Theft from each other with no real consequences (especially if we hid it well... ), but we (for the most part) don't. And this is the same way.
The only way I'd use the same song as another vidder with the same theme is if:
1. I asked them first
2. The video was reaaaaallly bad (and I mean "Bananas in Pajamas" bad)
3. the video was very old and completely outdated.

But some songs just shouldn't be copied, because it hurts both the new and old vidder. For instance, if someone remakes a humor song, even with a slightly different theme, it's probably gonna be very boring and pointless Imagine "Spectacular! Spectacular!" remade... how is it even possible to redo that and still keep it funny?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Issa
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm new, but hell, I thought I'd throw my two cents in, keeping in mind my opinion may only be worth that, depending on your own point of view..

Honestly, I don't see the issue with using the same song as someone else. I like seeing different people's take on the same song.. It'd actually make a good contest.
..or, after reading how most people are against this practice, maybe not.

To me, it's not about "Mine is better than yours!". Everyone has their own style of vidding. It's just two different people who interpret songs in their own way, creating a visual representation of that mental interpretation.

..But that's just me, and it seems like I'm in the minority, so I'll shush now.
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It usually doesn't bother me either way, especially if the song is a good one. Everyone has different ideas and even though there may be more than one vid to a particular song, the vids could be completely different. It's hard for me to judge this poll only because no matter what people vid, I always think they are awesome. It's 'cause I'm a mom.

But I don't think it would be so bad as long as it's not a completely identical vid.
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as far as I know I've only done it with "Fix You", which was constantly used for Jate vids. I did it because I thought it suited Jarah, or "Sack", much better. I think if you have a great idea for the song, you should do it. If you just like the song a lot, but it's not gonna be a great shame if you don't make it, you shouldn't. And Aislynn, with the songs you've done that people have done before you, you've made them completely your own, and seperated them from the other versions.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Zactly! :d as long as the vid isn't a copy of the previous one(s) and has something original to it, then it isn't so bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Wicked Game like a year ago, and it was posted at lostforum (before Laura4lad recruited me here). I saw someone else used it, and I didnt really care...my version was kinda bad. Plus I plan on eventually doing another one but to Heather Nova's version.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I wouldn't care that much either, if I really wanted to make a video using *this particular song* because I have some good ideas and they would work well with the lyrics.

But it happened to me once, not so long ago, that I wanted to make a video using a particular song. But then I saw that it had been used about 4 or 5 times before and so I gave up on the idea.

I don't mind, howeverm, seeing videos with the same song if the topics / characters / ships are different ones. To some degree it's even kinda nice sometimes to see what you can make out of one and the same song.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: