Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Enter Sandman" - Other (Ethan) by JakeNRoland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: "Enter Sandman" - Other (Ethan) by JakeNRoland Reply with quote

Link: http://www.walkingcandyapple.com/Movies/LostVideoEthanWMP.wmv

Oh-Four-Hundred, Ethan. We Don’t Return For Abort Until 4AM.

Oops, sorry. Got my Ethans mixed up again, but I did manage to keep it in the family… (I’ll leave that alone). But more seriously, I’ve FINALLY finished my Ethan video to Metallica’s “Enter Sandman”, or, as I like to now call it, “Episode 15 White-Washed”. I’ll get to that in a minute.

First I need to give much props to the other vidders out there who have tried this video so far, for it was no easy task to take what was originally a five and half minute song and make a video centered around a minor character.

I took some editing liberties with the song as I typically do. Shortened it down to just under four minutes. Not bad, but it still clocks in as my longest video yet.

About 85% of the clips are from Episode 15. I wouldn’t normally recommend such a heavy use of clips from one episode, but what’s a guy to do with a minor character?

Also, I recently started using that white-wash effect in my videos, and anyone who knows me knows that when I find some new effect I like, I beat it to a bloody pulp and use it in everything I can. Who remembers the glory of the Shine effect? “Enter Sandman” is my bloody pulp of white-wash effect. What I’m concerned about is this: are flashes too long in length? I was thinking they should be shorter, but after all that it took me to get to here I said forget it for now.

I think that’s all the rant I need for this video. If you have QUICKTIME you’ll be wanting to click here to watch it and if you have WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER you’ll be viewing my video by clicking here.

I hope you all enjoy it. Peace, love, I’m out!!!

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your's is the best Sandman video out of them all. And no, I am NOT sucking up, I am just saying the truth.

I asked you on the Lost Forum as well. So, you don't have to answer on both board, I just wanted a fast answer. Anyway, I was wondering... How the heck did you get the opening title like the opening 'LOST' title? And how did you do the white-flash (which is what I am assuming is the white-wash)?

Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best out of The Sandman's! Considering there is so little material of Ethan you did pretty damn good. I never noticed the cut in the song either. Really though if you had dragged out the clips to over 5 mins then that would of been to much. How much screen time does Ethan actually have anyway? Say 15mins? hmmm Well to make a 4 min video centered around him is pretty resourceful.

Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Jake. No, I didn't think the white-washing went on too long or anything. Looked good to me! This is another one of those effects I covet but have yet to be able to do smoothly myself. Ah, but I'm working on it... *sound of ominous music*

You did a great job with a character who has so little footage out there. I never would've noticed the cuts in the music either. And, of course, I wouldn't be moi if I didn't mention the audio clips. You know I looooove audio clips! Very well done, placed right in between lyrics or in the instrumental so that they came through loud and clear. Two thumb's up!

Oh, and I'm with phoenix39, how do you get that "Lost" title effect? It's so cool! And I love the way you "pop" the name of the character at the end of their vids. It's just like a final slam! finishing touch. I think of it as one of your defining trademarks.

~Aislynn
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So so SO cool!!!

I loved this vid! Especially loved the overlay of dialogue and the whitewash effect.

Fave part had to be the bit with Claire's eye followed by Ethan chasing her thru the jungle. Creepy, and very well done considering the very limited number of Ethan scenes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you everyone!! I use After Effects for the titles at the beginning and end. Basically you create a text layer, transform it into a 3D layer, ad a camera layer and adjust the camera movement, and text swivel until it becomes just right. Also added a Bevel Alpha effect to try and make the flat text look like it had depth and a gaussian blur to make it slightly out of focus like the original Lost one is, well, I thought it was, but I looked at recently and might be wrong. LOL. See how easy it is!!

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that I see how ridiculously easy that text effect was, Jake, I'm no longer impressed!

Seriously, I thought you probably had a program that was doing all the work for you ("The Official 'Lost' Font-o-matic 5000:" now you too can create text with that swirling, pull-in, beveled font effect that we all know and love! Great for making vids while stranded on a desert island! That is, if Sawyer doesn't get to your laptop first and make you buy it back from him. No money? No problem! He's sure you're good...for it. ).

Ahem. Pardon me, I think my train of thought just derailed. Let me get my brain back from its little vacation...

You did a really nice job with this effect. Isn't it great when you put a lot of work and thought into creating an effect and then somebody turns around and assumes that all you had to do was click on the old "Font-o-matic" and enter the text to make it happen???

Well, when all's said and done, that actually is evidence of how very professional your work is, now isn't it?

Great job! And thanks for giving us the details on how you did it. I love hearing about things like this!

~Aislynn
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake replied over at LM-and still want to know if you color tweaked at the end--its been haunting me in my sleep. Spectacular vid-creepy as hell just like i like them-l

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did NOTHING to that last shot. I remember seeing it (we watch with about six other people on my ginormous HDTV, yeah, I'm braggin) and I immediately said, "Whoa!! That's a totally bizarre shot!!" I don't know what they had in mind with that, but it's really creepy.

Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the Ethan burial scene?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeNRoland wrote:
I actually did NOTHING to that last shot. I remember seeing it (we watch with about six other people on my ginormous HDTV, yeah, I'm braggin) and I immediately said, "Whoa!! That's a totally bizarre shot!!" I don't know what they had in mind with that, but it's really creepy.

42" flat projection SONY WEGA HD, and I still didn't remember the creepiness. Must be the talent of old man jake that won me over. How are the hands?

AND YES big E

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay this big E has got to stop. I'm not a 'big' guy and it just sounds really weird. You can just call me E. It's even easier to type. lol.

I remember the color was all creepy purples and reds and I also remember Ethans chest moving up and down like he was breathing really hard inside that bag. I so hope his grave is found empty soon. Wait, who am I kidding? I don't think Lost has the balls to have a kick ass Zombie-Ethan running around. Damn you and your "has to be a rational explaination", Lost. Damn you.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
okay this big E has got to stop. I'm not a 'big' guy and it just sounds really weird. You can just call me E. It's even easier to type. lol.

Well I wanted to call you Grand Wizard of LVI and Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, but figured you wouldn't get the Cherry Vanilla referrence...and blaim KC she started it. I just repeated her in hopes we could rename you because I have to pause for 30 seconds thinking of how to spell enchirito LOL-l

Jake's Twin
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: