Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Office
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like season 9 is going to be the final season for The Office:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/21/the-office-season-9/

I'm sad. But I guess it's time. I don't want them to try and drag it on too long, especially now that Mindy is leaving the show as well, but I'll be SO sad to see it end!

art by me&tammy
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad that this will be the final season.

I had just started to get into the show about 2 season ago after I started watching old episodes in syndication.

In my opinion the show was never quite as good after Steve left. I hope he'll pay a final visit to the show before the end.

-Macaila
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they tried too hard after Steve left.

It's sad to see it ending; but I think it's time. Too many shows don't know when to quit.

And yeah with Mindy leaving; she was one of ht writers. I'll miss her and Kelly.
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's time, and I'm glad they're not trying to drag the show on longer than it needs to be, but I'll still miss it a lot. It wasn't the same once Steve left, but I still loved it!

art by me&tammy
Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't the same when Steve left, but it wasn't that different either. People cite Steve leaving as causing the supposedly-bad writing on the show, but I thought the seventh season, at least the beginning of it, was worse than the eighth season.

I dunno, my point is just that... the show is strong in itself, not because of Steve Carrell, and if it's getting a bit old, it's because it's been on for eight years. Not because there was only one strong actor/character and he left a year ago. (There are many strong characters and actors still around!)

But yes. Nine years is a good long run and I want it to quit while it's ahead. I'll be so sad to see it go, but... yeah, it's time.

icon by becca
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show can survive without Steve imo because the show isn't about Steve; it's not about one single person it's about all of them. It's the best handled ensemble show I've seen in a while.

I think it got a bit weird; the writing but I don't think that's because of Steve's departure.

I think any show would suffer the same thing for being on for 8 years and going onto it's 9th.
Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Brooke! That's why I'm kind of glad this will be the last season - I don't want it to end, but I do want it to end strong, and I'm sure they'll be able to pull off one more good season.

icon by becca
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's why I respected Lost for knowing when it wanted to end. I though it was a smart move.

Because I know of so many shows that don't know when to quit; they continue to go on because of the money and the quality suffers because of it.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt like The Office was getting back to the classic Office I loved as last season wound down.

I agree that Steve's departure wasn't the sole cause of last years failings. The writing was just off for some reason.

My biggest disappointment last season was that the characters just seemed so different from how they'd always been. Characters I loved, I really disliked with the way they were written.

I was so happy when Andy became the new boss, but then they nearly destroyed his character, IMO. I've been a big fan of Andy and Erin, but they nearly killed that relationship last season. . I thought Andy was kind of a jerk after he became boss. Luckily at the end of the season, he changed back to the Andy I'd liked in the earlier seasons.

My favorite characters have always been Jim and Pam, but last year we got so little of them. And what we did get, just wasn't really keeping with the characters. I understand that Jenna was missing from much of the season due to her real life pregnancy, but I think the show could have handled her departure better.

I think that if the writing this season is like it was at the end of season 8, this will be a good season. The show finally seemed to have fallen back into it's groove again and was pretty good.

As long and Jim and Pam, Andy and Erin live happily ever after, I think I'll be pretty pleased with the ending.

Macaila
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else watch the series finale?
(I spoiler tabbed a lot of this, but not everything that might be considered a spoiler.)

I was a little worried how it would end. The actors kept saying their characters had fitting endings, but I've heard that story so many times only to be terribly disappointed. But I really liked the ending and I felt like for the most part it was very fitting. I liked that there were no gimmicks (it wasn't a dream or in someone's mind, etc).

I was really happy that

Spoiler:

Michael came back and was Dwight's best man.
Michael's whole return made me tear up. I liked how it was sort of an understated return. Michael wasn't over the top and didn't command the scene.

I liked how they wrote his return and how you could see the growth of this character. He used to be loud, kind of obnoxious and just a goofball. But he was so much more mature and calm and you could really feel the heart you always knew the character had.

I liked just having those soft, quiet moments where we saw him interacting with his old office mates. Loved the scene with him showing Pam pics of his kids and her commenting he had 2 phones because he'd taken so many pictures. I always remembered that scene of him showing the office a clip of him as a kid saying how he wanted children so he'd have friends and not be lonely. For so long the people in the office were his only family so to see he finally had the family he'd always wanted, made me tear up.

Also loved Michael's comment about how it felt like his kids had grown up and married each other. That was sweet, funny, and a little creepy...but very Michael.

I know Steve had talked about maybe not returning because Michael's departure from the office was so well done and a good ending for the character. But I'm so glad he came back. I felt like that character got true closure. His return didn't take away any of the emotion of his farewell episode, if anything I think it just added to it.

I liked what Jenna said in the retrospective about how with the mics off during their final scene in his farewell episode that it was just a special goodbye moment for her and Steve. I always wondered what they said to each other and it just adds to the emotion of those unheard words knowing it wasn't Pam to Michael, that piece was Jenna to Steve.

Since the show had the running storyline with Jim and Dwight pranking each other, I thought it was kind of sweet that in a way Jim's final prank was :

Spoiler:

Telling Dwight he was too young to be his best man and bringing Michael in to be his best man. Best Prank Ever!

I also liked that Pam took the painting of the office with her. I just wish they'd edited it so that we saw Michael adjust the picture, then Pam take it from the wall. But I thought it was cool that she'd left the office with a large mural, even though she took back her painting of the building. A piece of her art will live on in the office.

I liked the moment where they took an office picture in front of the mural. It was cool how they blurred the lines between fiction and reality by having the creative team and crew in the picture.

I liked the feeling of the final moments as well.

Spoiler:

Despite the fact that many of them are going their own ways and leaving the office, there was a feeling that they'd always be friends and that there would be moments that would always bring them back together.

I liked the part with them talking about what they wanted people to get from their documentary because it was very much like the retrospective before the finale where the actors talked about how they hope the show holds up and what they want people to take from it.

I thought it was really funny that Stanley carved Phyllis a wooden sculpture of herself. I also liked that Phyllis was turning her desk mate into Stanley 2.0, and admitted to doing so.

In fact, I think we were to get the idea that the whole Office was being turned into sort of

Spoiler:

The Office 2.0.
Erin took Pam's place as receptionist who has a crush on salesman Pete who took Jim's place. (Pete's kind of a prankster too.) Clark is the new Dwight. We have the young man Phyllis is turning into Stanley. Dwight is the new Michael, he's got a good heart, but says all the wrong things. I think there was an older man who is taking Creed's place. I thought that was really neat how they did that.

I got teary eyed seeing Pam answer the phone in reception one last time. Especially when she looked over to Jim and they showed flashbacks to a very similar scene from the early seasons. The Jam stuff in the finale got to me every time. I was just really happy they got a happy ending.

It was nice to finally learn Creed's past.

I thought it was funny that Ryan and Kelly
Spoiler:

finally got together. They were always so horrible for each other but at the same time they were soul mates . That was very fitting that they ran off together, leaving Ryan's baby behind. I was really happy that Nellie got the baby.

I also liked that Erin finally
Spoiler:

found her parents. I was disappointed that she and Andy didn't get back together though. But I liked that Andy got a job at his beloved Cornell.

I didn't like that Toby was fired and didn't have that happy of an ending. I wanted him to continue to irritate office managers for years to come. I also liked his awkward, stalker like crush on Nellie. So I was a little bummed that those storylines didn't pan out. But I liked that the others encouraged him to come to the party and actually wanted him to be a part of their group. So I guess in the end he finally belonged.

I wish that Dwight and Angela would have had a dance number at their wedding like Jim and Pam had at their wedding. Though Dwight and
Spoiler:

Michael

dancing was pretty funny.

I was surprised but I loved that Dwight said that Pam was his best friend. That was very sweet.

Overall, I really liked the finale. It was funny, heartfelt, and emotional. Even though the show hadn't been quite the same since Steve left, I felt like the show went out on a great note. I feel like the finale can be the make it or break it episode for a series. If it's not good, it's hard to ever watch the show again. But this is one show I will continue to enjoy in syndication for years to come.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely loved the finale. This show has been very special to me and I was thrilled with the way it ended. I read that before writing the finale Greg Daniels asked each cast member what their dream ending for their character would be and did his best to incorporate those, so
Spoiler:

the fact that Andy working for Cornell was probably at least partially Ed Helms's idea was really sweet to me, I thought that was really cool.

I agree with everything you said, Macaila, it was just such a lovely way to end the show.

I was very happy with the fact that Pam was the one to say the last lines of the show, and her speech about what she hopes people took from watching her story really made me teary. Even outside of Jam (ESPECIALLY outside of Jam) I think Pam's character arc is far and away the best one on the show, and it's been so amazing to watch her grow into the woman she is. She's such an important character and I was glad the finale really recognized that!!

art by me&tammy
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbitRockGod wrote:
I absolutely loved the finale. This show has been very special to me and I was thrilled with the way it ended. I read that before writing the finale Greg Daniels asked each cast member what their dream ending for their character would be and did his best to incorporate those, so
Spoiler:

the fact that Andy working for Cornell was probably at least partially Ed Helms's idea was really sweet to me, I thought that was really cool.

I really liked that the cast were given a say in their character's ending.
I think that's what made each character's ending seem so fitting and heartfelt.

Quote:
I agree with everything you said, Macaila, it was just such a lovely way to end the show.

This was one of the best show finales I have seen in recent years. I just really liked that in a lot of ways it was simple and from the heart. Most shows want to go out with a bang and with a mind blowing finale. But that sort of ending loses impact over time. I just really liked that this finale stayed true to the style of the show.

Quote:
I was very happy with the fact that Pam was the one to say the last lines of the show, and her speech about what she hopes people took from watching her story really made me teary. Even outside of Jam (ESPECIALLY outside of Jam) I think Pam's character arc is far and away the best one on the show, and it's been so amazing to watch her grow into the woman she is. She's such an important character and I was glad the finale really recognized that!!

I loved Pam's speech. I got choked up during that scene.Pam and Jim were always my favorite characters, even outside of Jam scenes. I agree Pam's journey was one of the best. She grew the most as a character. She went from kind of shy, not very confident, and almost feeling she was stuck as the receptionist to being very confident in who she is and I love that she more or less invented a job for herself.

To me when you watch the scene of Pam at her art show, where nobody came but Michael and you see how broken she was back then and that little spark of confidence when Michael buys her painting , and you contrast that with Pam confidently revealing her mural to the whole office in the finale, it just shows her growth. The same with the contrast between the scenes of her at the reception desk.

I always liked that even though Michael, Andy, and Dwight were the managers, people always went to Pam or Jim for advice. In a way the show within the show was all about Pam and Jim's growth separately and together as a couple.

I wish that when Pam sold their house, that the couple would have remarked that one of the selling points was the clown painting that was permanently attached to the wall. I think that would have been funny since that was one of the jokes of that original scene.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, thank you guys for the run downs. I meant to watch and completely forgot. We gave up on the show last season but I did want to see the finale. I'm so glad it ended well!

Spoiler:

Did Ryan really have a baby with Nellie?! LOL!

It's too bad that and Erin didn't stay together.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:
Ooo, thank you guys for the run downs. I meant to watch and completely forgot. We gave up on the show last season but I did want to see the finale. I'm so glad it ended well!

Spoiler:

Did Ryan really have a baby with Nellie?! LOL!

It's too bad that and Erin didn't stay together.

This season was better than last year. The last few episodes were more like how the show used to be. The finale did the show justice.

Spoiler:

No, the baby wasn't Nellie's. Sorry, I worded that kind of weird so it sounded that way. In the episode Ryan explained that he'd met this woman ( I don't think we ever found out who she is) and they had this baby and she went out one day to run some kind of errand (which I've forgotten now) and never came back. So he was left with the baby. His baby was called Drake. Kelly thought it was after the singer but I think he said it was a combo of the names Drew and Mike? When he ran off with Kelly, they left the baby with her boyfriend/husband who was a pediatrician. When he found out Kelly was gone he gave the baby to Kevin, who gave him to Nellie. Nellie had been trying to adopt a baby so she just took in Ryan's son as her own. She said she was going back to Europe with the baby.

Yeah, I wanted Erin and Andy together. I thought they were a good match but for some reason the creators thought he was too old for her and wanted to pair her with someone closer to her own age. I don't get that, since the age difference was never an issue in past seasons.
She ended up with a new guy named Pete. He was alright, but I don't really like when they bring in new people just to create a couple. But in the end Andy and Erin did get happy endings, just not together.

Julia, here are some other interesting pieces from in/around the finale.

Spoiler:

-We found out Angela's son was in fact Dwight's son.
-Oscar is running for a political office.
-Stanley divorced his wife and is living in Florida, carving bird sculptures.
-Kevin was fired for his horrible accounting and making up numbers and now owns a bar.
-Andy left The Office to become famous. He became a viral hit for having an emotional breakdown during his audition for an a cappella themed American Idol type show. He turned his humiliating breakdown into a kind of motivational catch phrase which he used when he delivered the speech at the Cornell Graduation.
- Jim and Pam are moving to Texas. Jim and Darryl started a sports company that made it big. They are moving to Texas to expand the company.
-Creed was a fugitive for a number crimes. He'd once been part of the band The Grassroots (?). At the end of the series he was living in the office. In the final minutes he was escorted from the building by the cops.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's wild, Macaila! Thank you so much! I am totally LOL!!!

And yeah--I don't get the age-difference thing with Andy and Erin. So weird!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: