Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Who on Sci-Fi Channel
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Dr. Who on Sci-Fi Channel Reply with quote

I don't know how many Dr. Who fans come on here, but I used to watch the original series when I was kid. I would be interested if any of our British members have seen this new take on the show and what you thought before I invest my time in it. Here's what I read at Sci-Fi Wire:

Quote:
SCI FI To Air New Doctor Who

SCI FI Channel announced Jan. 12 that it will air the first season of the BBC's hit SF series Doctor Who, starting in March. The 13 episodes, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler, will air as part of SCI FI Fridays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

The series, from head writer and executive producer Russell T. Davies, ran originally in the United Kingdom last year and was one of the network's biggest hits ever. An update of the classic Doctor Who show, the series continues in the U.K. with an upcoming second season that will star David Tennant as the Doctor.

"The Doctor's made all sorts of journeys in time and space, but this is one of his most exciting yet!" Davies said in a statement. "I'm a huge fan of the SCI FI Channel, and I'm delighted that Doctor Who is appearing on a channel that supports and enhances the entire genre."

"With its rich history of imaginative storytelling, Doctor Who is a true sci-fi classic," Thomas P. Vitale, SCI FI's senior vice president, programming and original movies, said in a separate statement. "We're excited to add the show to our lineup."
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=34141

What's it like? I'm curious if they botched it or it was a hit?
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty good dumbed down tv at its best. I really can't stand the girl though. She has a posh accent irl and has put on this whiny cockney accent and she comes across as a common 'slag' But yeah defintely worth watching.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thanks Paul, I'll have catch it when it airs this month.
Crewie
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite programmes ever is the new Doctor Who. Christopher Eccleston (Who plays the Doctor) is so perfect for the role and brings a very good sense of humour to the role. Billie (Rose, his companion) I thought would be dreadful but I really grew to like her and her acting was really good (For a failed teenage popstar who carried on the fame game for years by being married to a rich ginger ). I don't think she comes across as 'a slag', common, yes, because that's her role. She's from a southern council estate. (No offence instended to any people living on council estates )

But yep, the series is definitely worth catching, and make sure you catch every episode. It's a great cryptic storyline throughout the series, and Captain Jack is awesome when he comes into it. Plus the Dalek's return in style, and the ending is breath taking.

It's certainly not botched and it's bang up to date, no more wobbly sets and poor animation. The second episode of the series has stunning effects.
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, crewie!!!! The dalek's!!!! EXTERMINATE!!! When we were kids we used to get real close to the portable fan and say 'exterminate' into it and it would sound like them.

I loved that show. I will definitely watch it now. Thanks crewie!
Crewie
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and another thing. The Doctor and Rose dance to Moonlight Serenade about 8 episodes in. It's a brilliant scene and you'll never hear that Hurley-Charlie radio transmission in the same way again.
ChicaFrom3
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have seen of Doctor Who, I have seen over the Internet through not-entirely-legal-methods. I love it. All Doctors, but Nine is absolutely fantastic. Rose is cool. Captain Jack is...there are no words. He's just one of the best characters ever.

Can't wait to see it on Sci-Fi. Legally. And at a decent resolution.

sig by niki blue
Crewie
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Jack is my favourite TV character ever. On par with Locke, of course.

I don't know how much you've seen but you'll be pleased to know he's got his own series (Torchwood, Dr Who spin off and is an anagram of Doctor Who) whilst the second series of Doctor Who airs later this year, and he's going to be back in Doctor Who for series 3.
ChicaFrom3
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crewie wrote:
I don't know how much you've seen but you'll be pleased to know he's got his own series (Torchwood, Dr Who spin off and is an anagram of Doctor Who) whilst the second series of Doctor Who airs later this year, and he's going to be back in Doctor Who for series 3.

I heard, and I'm thrilled. And excited. And can't wait.

sig by niki blue
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping, as I'm watching The Parting of the Ways on BBC America right now, and damn, is that a fantastic episode.

I wish Eccleston had had another three or four seasons in him, though. I really liked him; he wasn't a looker, but man, he had charisma aplenty.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an odd coincidence, I just saw The Parting of the Ways myself, my very first introduction into the new Doctor Who (I saw most of the Tom Baker eps a loooooooong time ago and a smattering of some of the other Doctors' eps along the way).

thefilmchick wrote:
I wish Eccleston had had another three or four seasons in him, though. I really liked him; he wasn't a looker, but man, he had charisma aplenty.

Totally agreed on all of the above! Though I'm glad he was available to do Heroes, which is what sparked my interest in him and thus, in his DW eps. I completely echo what you said about his charisma! However, since I'm a giant squealy fangirl, I'll also add a large *squee!* at the end of it. Don't have to be conventionally "handsome" to be very attractive in my book!

*goes back to both alternating between squeeing and sniffling at the end of Parting of the Ways*
Spoiler:

You KNOW the huge, unrelenting shipper in me was tickled that:

1. He kissed Rose. I don't care that it was to take the timeline vortex power from her. Dude, he kissed her! *squee!*

2. He sacrificed himself to save her life! *sniffle, then more fangirl squee!*

3. Uhhhhhhh, 1 and 2 are pretty much enough for my shippery little heart... ♥!

I can't tell you how comfortingly nostalgic it was just to hear the TARDIS sound as well as the (updated) theme song! I really enjoyed it and I'm definitely going to jump onto the rest of the series now!

Oh and in an weird "everything comes back around again" sort of thing; I kept feeling like I knew John Barrowman (Jack) from somewhere. I finally stumbled across an article talking about his musical theatre and then I knew it: he was a Raoul in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera! I dug out some of my old CDs (yes, I was a MASSIVE Phantom fan back in "the day" -- you know, the kind of fan that usually spelled it "phan" ) and found him on this odd little off-shoot Phantom CD from back in the '90's, singing his heart out!
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought David Tennant wouldn't be as good as Eccleston, but I was SO wrong. If they told me to choose between the two, i'd choose Tennant.

And Ais, you think Parting Of The Ways was sad, you wait till you see the end of Doomsday!

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntoTheVoid wrote:
I thought David Tennant wouldn't be as good as Eccleston, but I was SO wrong. If they told me to choose between the two, i'd choose Tennant.

I still haven't gotten to see a whole S2 or 3 ep yet... other than Doomsday!

IntoTheVoid wrote:
And Ais, you think Parting Of The Ways was sad, you wait till you see the end of Doomsday!

Spoiler:

ZOMG, I was totally bawling, even without the benefit of seeing Ten and Rose together through all of S2! After all, though, no matter which incarnation it is, it's still the Doctor, after all. So I could still totally relate to the two of them being separated *sob* forever! *wails*

My little shipper heart is just completely broken now!

Must...make...a...fluffy...shippy...Doctor/Rose...vid!!!! Yeah, you knew that part was coming, right?

rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm temporarily abandoning Lost vidding to do Doctor Who videos, just finished a trailer and Im gunna start a 9th/rose video
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nine/Rose, FTW!!! Woot!!!!!!!! That's awesome, Becca! Can't wait to see it! As soon as I have enough clips, I'm doing a Nine/Rose vid, too!

♥♥♥!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: