Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WMM Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranDOMness
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: WMM Help? Reply with quote

I have a few problems (because WMM sucks sooo much)

1. How do I slow down or speed up clips?
2. I tried using transitions and credits, but they wouldn't work.
3. I went to the website to update it, and nothing happened.
4. I don't have alot of the options the updated version is supposed to have (like an UNDO button. Ugh, that is the worst!)

I need a ton of help, or a new program.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: WMM Help? Reply with quote

ranDOMness wrote:

1. How do I slow down or speed up clips?
2. I tried using transitions and credits, but they wouldn't work.
3. I went to the website to update it, and nothing happened.
4. I don't have alot of the options the updated version is supposed to have (like an UNDO button. Ugh, that is the worst!)

I'm just passing through right now so I'll have to come back to do a more in-depth answer. But the first thing to check is this:

Click Help - About Windows Movie Maker and see what version number you have. That's the first place to start. WMM 1 has no credits, transitions or effects, so that might be what you have. If that's the case, you have to update your Service Pack from 1 to 2 and that will automatically upgrade you to WMM 2. (If you try to upgrade to WMM 2 WITHOUT upgrading the Service Pack first, it won't work.)

Let me know what you find out, 'kay?
ranDOMness
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a newbie, but what is a Service Pack?

And I have Version 1(crap)
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranDOMness wrote:
I feel like a newbie, but what is a Service Pack?

And I have Version 1(crap)

Aw, I was afraid that was the case! Almost half of the vids I have here on LVI were made with WMM 1, (everything from "Vertigo" through "Hit The Road Jack") so I understand the frustration!

The Service Pack 2 (SP2) is a massive security update to Windows XP. For some reason, they also included an upgrade to WMM 2. (Strange are the ways of Microsoft... ) If this isn't your computer, you should probably ask before installing the SP2 because it can cause problems with other programs on the computer. It's not supposed to, but better safe than sorry, you know?

Here's the link to where you can order a free SP2 CD. There's also a link on that page that will let you download the SP2, if you'd rather do it that way.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Once you install the SP2, it will look like it didn't change WMM. But when you launch it, you'll find that it looks a little different, with a few more buttons and timelines (for the transitions, titles and the audio from the vid clips as well as the usual video and audio ones). It also has the other effects you mentioned first, as well as that all important undo feature! That is SO nice, let me tell you!

WMM 2 has its own issues, naturally, but I'd much rather have 2 than 1. Good luck and let me know what you decide to do, if you don't mind?

Oh and totally don't feel bad about not knowing about the Service Packs! Nobody really does until you have a reason to learn about them, like when you're trying to figure out how to upgrade from WMM 1 to 2! That's when I found out what they were, myself!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: