Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contest vids and Council Picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just let me make clear that I'm not saying I don't think people in contests besides the three winners should get CPs. That's not what I meant.

Sure, there could be a contest where only three people enter vids and some really bad video gets a gold, but I highly doubt it. That's never happened before, and I don't see why it would happen now, with the site getting more and more popular by the minute. I think LVI is probably the fairest site/forum I've ever been to, but this seems kind of unfair to me. Like I said, I never plan to win one of those contests when so many great vidders enter, but I know if I did, I'd firstly be incredibly excited, then if I suddenly realised I'd still gotten a silver, I'd be REALLY dissapointed in myself, thinking I'd just won by default, and my vid wasn't really very deserving of it's win. The ribbons are a great honour for people who win the contests, but without the gold CPs next to them, it'd kinda... suck.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I don't think silver's a bad thing. Some of my favs vids are silvers And the most excited I've been about getting an award is when I got my first silver.

But I see your point. Hopefully, it's never going to happen again.
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinthia explained it pretty well, but long story short of this:

The contest and the CPs are judged on two very seperate criteria. Every monthly contest has its own set of criteria which we vote on for the contest, giving the vifeos a sort of boost in certain areas. Like in the Beat Use Boot Camp contest, we praised and encouraged beat use. Those with the best beat use won the contest. However, just having a good beat didn't guarentee a marvelous video, and that's what the Gold CPs are for. They are there to judge a video outside of all other influences, like competition with other videos, contest constraints, etc. It's there to straight up say "how great is this vid?". A beat use vid with no story or point to it could rule in the contest, but that doesn't make it a marvelous video worthy of being up there with the other CPs given out. For that reason, many of us (not all of us of course, we're still discussing this issue) think it would be unfair to award a Gold CP just because it placed in a contest unless we think it deserves the CP by itself, outside of the contest constraints. With the new contest ribbons we tried to be as fair as possible in all areas. Fairness comes in both the good ways and the bad ways. It means a vid that is excellent by itslef but not right for a contest can still get what it deserves outside of the contest, and it means that a video that could be perfect for the contest, but just not enough for a Gold outside of the contest, gets the awards it deserves in both areas. I don't know about others but I would feel pretty cheap if we were to give a Gold to a video we unanimously decided deserves a Silver, just because it placed in a contest. And not just because it "got in by default" - no vid has done that - some just fit a contest better and beat out others. It's a question of fairness . And one we're still debating.

If I recall, this wasn't the first time this has happened. A few months ago a video placed Second in a contest, but we decided it didn't quite deserve a Gold. That video was an awesome example of the spirit of that contest, but that didn't mean it was a superb vid by itself. Making a video that is both excellent by itself AND perfect for a contest are two seperate things entirely , but there are still a lot of vids that manage that and more. By giving all the winners auto-Golds, that kinda cheapens the whole process, and makes it harder to recognize these especially amazing vids that can do that.

All in all, I think doing this cheapens the CP and that's something we've been trying to stop entirely. Even CMs don't get Gold CPs anymore. We just get grouped together into our own little category that can be good or bad or whatever we manage to make it. This means the Gold CPs - they really are more of an honour than ever before. no vid gets one that doesn't really, trully deserve it. I wish every vid could get one (or at least all those vids that are so close to doing so ) just because it's hard to turn down anyone, but if that's what has to be done to keep it as much as an honour as it is, then so be it I suppose .

But as I said, this is still being discussed, so if you have a good argument for this, then feel free to say it.
(did I actually start this monster with "long story short"? Ack )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: