Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fear of Rejection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Fear of Rejection Reply with quote

Thought I'd start a thread for those of us who have submitted - but haven't recieved word on our rejections (or not?) yet. This can be our official "Fear of Rejection" post.

My turn first! I finished my 2nd video tonight and submitted it. It took me forever to make it. Seriously - forever! And there aren't even that many (or any cool) effects at all! It's called Times Like This and the song (of the same name) is by Lit. It can be found here:

http://we-happy-few.net/downloads/TimesLikeThis.zip

If it gets rejected, I think I'll live haha, but it would be nice if it were accepted. It's the waiting part that bugs me! (And I just submitted tonight!)

Last edited by SuperKC on Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched.
Sorry, but I need to be all VAN DAM until the vote goes down. I wouldn't however, fear Laura. I've said too much-l
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Dam! Ha. That reminds me of this kid in 7th grade. He always used to say that our English teacher's breath was "kickin', like Van Dam!" It sounds stupid now, I guess. But when I was in 7th grade I was amused by such things.
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually was quoting DANE COOK-one of the funniest men alive. In his standup he instructs people on how to fuck with fastfood workers, but to make it work you can't giggle! You have to have the VAN DAM face.

http://www.danecook.com/
"I'll have the kfc funpack. Give me a funpack please."

btw in 7th grade I found fullhouse funny. Those were dark times.

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you, SuperKC! This thread has come right at a time when I need it! I submitted my very first "Lost" vid on Saturday. Can't help but wonder if anybody's looked at it and if their reaction went something like:

"AHHHH, I'M BLIND!!!"

You see, I had to take a sorta...er...different route to making a vid. Anybody who's happened across any of my other posts spread throughout the board knows by now that I've only got the Service Pack 1 version of WMM (motto: "If you mention the fact that I don't have any transitions or ability to control clip speed one more time, then I'm going to send you permanently to the Blue Screen of Death City, toots!" ). Anyway, with that in mind, I'm not going to dazzle anybody with my vid clips.

And yes, I mean vid clips. I'm on dial-up, I have a rapidly shrinking hard drive, and 256 MB of RAM, among other things, all of which adds up to No Episodes For Me. So I have to take what clips I can, which means right now that all I have are about 40 Sawyer and Kate clips (and yes, they're all the "familiar" Big Moments that everybody knows so well!) with very little footage of anybody else.

So, in order to make my vid in the least bit different, I had to jazz it up in "other" ways. (Ooo, mysterious, huh? If/when it's rejected I'll try putting it up someplace like Streamload so everybody can point at it and laugh... )

Anyway, it took me a full month to do this one vid, which makes me look like a moron compared to the people who can make several vids a day! But, when/if you ever see it, hopefully it will be apparent what took me so long.

I don't necessarily have a fear of rejection for this one vid, per se. It's just the sheer fact that if everybody hates the way I made this vid, then I won't have a chance with any other vid. My poor, faithful little computer and I are just not high-tech enough to compete with the Premiere crowd here. Sure, one day I'd love to have some amazing machine with truck loads of RAM and enough hard drive space to actually fit the Lost Island inside of it! And a High-Speed Internet Connection! And a DVD-ROM drive! And...and...and...

Wait, all this wishing is making me hyperventilate, hold on a sec, please...

*breathes in paper bag*

It's okay, I'm all right... Anyway, I've got a lot of "want to" when it comes to vidding, but very little in the way of "able to." I can only try to impress with my originality, such as it is, and with a lot of hard work. Will that be enough? Depends on how stupid my "vision" (cough-cough) comes across. I purposely tried to make a goofy, silly vid, so that hopefully y'all will be laughing with me, not at me.

I have a deep, secret urge to try these same techniques and make a serious, contemplative vid. But, until I see how the council rules on this one -- particularly their reasons for rejecting it -- then I'm not even bothering to start a second vid. If what I can do has no place to go, then why even try?

But, however it works out, I know I did my best. I learned a lot of new tricks and techniques while pulling this vid together.

~Aislynn

PS - Gee, do I know how to bring down the room or what, huh? Lighten up, A! It's a fan vid not The End Of Life As We Know It!

That would be if they killed Sawyer off at the end of this year! *gasp, falls over in a faint*

PPS - Sorry for the long post, BTW. Now I guess I'll never be invited to another Rant Party ever again, huh?
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what name did you send it in under Aislynn? I can't seem to find any particular ones for Saturday... or rather, what was the name of it? >.< we might not have gotten it somehow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name of the vid is "Vertigo." There actually should have been two e-mails from me on March 5, one without the vid attached (duhhhhh... ) and then one with it. It came from my Hotmail account (which was giving me fits that night and made me try twice before it finally uploaded the silly thing -- 45 minutes, can you believe it? ). And no, my e-mail account doesn't have Aislynn in the name, though that was how I signed the e-mail and how I asked for the vid to be credited. If you need the account name itself, I'd rather not post it here in the open, but can send it via PM or another e-mail. Yes, I'm paranoid...

Thanks for checking on it! Don't know why, but it didn't occur to me that it might not have gotten where it said it was going!

~Aislynn
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did get your video. It only recently got viewed by enough people and I believe it passed.

I loved it. I laughed so hard my faincee heard me in the other room.

Who loves animated polar bears? I do, me, I do.

You have hilarious posts too, keep up the good work.

I assume you'll be notified soon about your video passing and it will likely appear on the site soon. I'm a little new to this so I don't exactly know all the ropes yet. It may even be out of place for me to be yacking about it like I am, but it's 1:30 in the morning, and that video was great, and I'm tired.

Peace,

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jane,

Congratulations! Your video, "Vertigo", made it through the judging process and will be posted on LVI. We hope to see more quality videos from you soon.

LVI Council
www.lostvideo.net

consider that the official message
btw. that was the absolute weirdest, strangest video I have ever seen. So NATURALLY, it's gotta be on the site!! LOL!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll let the entire Internet in on a little something that nobody really ought to ever know:

When I got the e-mail that "Vertigo" had been accepted, I really, very truly got up and did a Happy Dance. There, I confessed.

Woo-hoo!!! Thank you so much, LVI Council! I am such a happy fangirl right now, it's just absolutely scary!

You guys have no idea how much I sweated sending in this vid. I mean, could anybody else in all of "Lost" fandom be able to love my dancing polar bear? Was I sending the poor little fellow out just to be ridiculed and mocked? Oh, the anguish of not knowing!

So thanks, Jake, for giving props to the big fellow! Seriously though, your kind words mean a lot to me. You've got mad, mad vidding skills and I much admire your work.

I distinctly remember thinking during the process of making this crazy thing, "I'll just be glad if somebody watches it and thinks that it's the weirdest vid they've ever seen!" Because that would mean that I accomplished my mission: I didn't make a generic, forgetable, run-of-the-mill vid. And right off the bat, Hobbes said the magic words!

Also on a serious note, Mr. H, I may not say it a whole lot, (do more Sawyer vids and I'll get more vocal. No, that's not very PC, but it's just a sad, sad fact of life... ) but I do dig your vids. "Skaterboy" is still one of my favs, especially when Locke looks so annoyed when Claire calls him about Charlie... tee-hee... I just love that part...

Anyhow, everyone can just consider me to be in Yayville right now: Population - One Happy Fangirl!

Thanks again for everything!

~Aislynn

PS - And I know I've been -- ahem -- loosing up in my posts lately. I stayed a little low-key at first, because there's nothing I hate more than busting into a meeting of the Dour and Straight-Laced with a lampshade on my head. (Though the double-takes are usually worth it ) But I've hung out here long enough now that I felt like the board was ready for the real Aislynn Jane Nottingham to make her appearance! (In case anybody wondered why my acceptance letter was addressed to Jane... )

Now, if you'll pardon me, I feel the need to Happy Dance once more... Woo-hoo!!!
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else as excited as I am to see this dancing polar bear? I can hardly wait!

Oh and "Jane" - you can add 1 to your Yayville population.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That vid is a real marvel in animation. You've gotta work for disney, there are so few people who can pull that kind of thing off nowadays
I can just imagine how tough that vid must have been to make I worked just trying to get one 2 second clip to go backwards in my last vid, and has to do it FRAME BY FRAME >.<
painful.... and to top that off, it made the credits all screwy for no reason I could find >.<

Thanks for letting me know I've got a fan Aislynn I guess it's time to break out the big feminine-sunglasses-wearing-Southern-punk and make some vids with 'im I'm probably due for one of those songs anyway, everytime I go upstairs, my mom greets me by "Did you make a Sawyer vid yet!?!?!"
(Sawyer) - (shirt) = (crazy fangirls)
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer Sawyer with a shirt on!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
I guess it's time to break out the big feminine-sunglasses-wearing-Southern-punk and make some vids with 'im I'm probably due for one of those songs anyway, everytime I go upstairs, my mom greets me by "Did you make a Sawyer vid yet!?!?!"
(Sawyer) - (shirt) = (crazy fangirls)

First off, "Go, Mom!" Heh heh...

Secondly, I love "The Sawyer Equation" there! Might need to have a t-shirt made with that on it or something...

Thirdly, thank you again for the kind words about the vid. Yes, it takes me a loooong time to build those animations. "Vertigo" is actually my very first attempt at using vid clips. All of the vids I've made previously were completely animated (though a lot less complicated than the animations in "Vertigo" -- I've had to learn to keep them simple or my RAM exceeds 600 MB. Why's that bad, you might ask? Well, I only have 256! Have you ever had your virtual memory beep at you from inside the CPU case? That's NOT GOOD!). It usually takes me 2 months to do fully animated vids. "Vertigo" was a "quick" (har har) one. It took a month.

Fourthly, why am I numbering my paragraphs?

Ahem.

Hey, SuperKC...

SuperKC wrote:
Oh and "Jane" - you can add 1 to your Yayville population.

I hope that means your vid was accepted! Congratulations! Can't wait to see it! I feel a little bad for having hogged up your thread here. Uh-oh, I'm suddenly having a mental image of that boar that kept pestering Sawyer, except instead of dragging away my tent, he's sitting in my chair, typing on the keyboard. Whoa, just what's in these Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Peppers anyway?

Anyway, this is still a most fantastic idea for a thread and I'm so glad that you started it! We all need a nice place to come and commiserate over our vids!

~Aislynn
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Aislynn, thanks for hijacking my thread! Some people! Er, wait scratch that! This is exactly why I made this thread! So yeah, you made it worthwhile, not "hogged up."

Re:
Quote:
Whoa, just what's in these Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Peppers anyway?

Nobody really knows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: