Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Oscars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually put absolutely NO stock in the Oscars- its a bunch of people patting themselves on the back- I mean you have to ASK to be nominated. Ive seen so many performances and movies that should've gotten agknowledgement that didnt.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
i think the Oscars are suposed to be awards given by others in the film industry, because an award from your peers means more than from the people.

That's very true, which is why I said the thing I said about the kinds of movies that get recognized in the more "sought after" categories like Director, Writing, Acting and of course Best Picture. It's not about being entertaining. It's about the craft more than anything.

But even more than that, it's also about industry buzz. First you hand it to the critics. It starts with Variety and the Hollywood Reporter and snowballs from there. Rinse and repeat. Then from there you take a look at who's gotten the most nominations and awards in the guild circuits, critics awards and those coveted (and all too misleading) Golden Globes.

I am no Oscar cheerleader. They almost never make the choice that I would make and I usually can't be bothered to care. I have a friend who's obsessed with it and practically starts taking notes from OscarWatch.com for next year the day after the ceremony ends. He's a movie buff extraordinaire. You guys think I'm bad, you have no idea. Thing is, he really cares about it. It becomes, for whatever reason, "important" to him when the movies he thinks are worthy do or don't get nominations. And every year? He walks away disappointed more often than not.

So what am I saying? Don't let the Oscars get you down, man. It's all a bunch of self-congratulatory Hollywood-flavored crap anyway!

(But I'm so totally gonna watch 'em anyway!)

And Marcus, you didn't offend me so take back that apology, I was just pointing out the reasons I was defending Brokeback and not any of the other noms. There's no reason to be sorry about having an opinion!
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*asks to be a member of Super KC posse*
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pauly you were already an honorary member, I just forgot to send you the certificate! I'd be more than happy if you became a full-fledged member! Right on!
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KC! *puts some bling on*
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always put more stock in the Oscars than the other award shows, because these people who judge know what the end product of a movie is, and what it COULD have been.

Sure, Kong was great. I loved it, and would watch it another 10 times and STILL love it. Haven't seen Brokeback yet but I plan to sometime, but anyway if it's anything like a number of other artistic and dramatic films I've seen including "A History of Violence" (Which I can't figure out if it was even really a movie or a short story. ) then it's one fo those movies that makes a short but strong impact, but never sees the light of day again. Anyway, despite Kong being a popular and thouroughly enjoyable film, I can bet that with that script and good marketing any director could make a wonder. Peter may not have "lived up" to the potential he could have with that movie, and the panel of experienced Oscar judges probably saw that.

Think of it like a big LVI Us vidders can tell when a video isn't that great, or done to its full potential, even if it's popular with the non-vidders for a good song or flashy effects or Jaterness or whatever and when we give out the Council Picks those award videos that go that extra mile to get peer approval. And I like to think of the Oscars as the same way.

And I was going to write a closing paragraph, but this says it better than I could have :
KC wrote:
Popcorn flick is not a term meant to generalize any action movie with a crappy plot. It's not even reserved for action flicks. It could even be a romance or a comedy. The term in the way I use it is more reserved for those kind of canned (formula) blockbuster (geared, no guarantee on that) types. Not that PJ didn't have creative control over the project because he obviously did, the story itself is already well known and has a predetermined beginning and end. And being one of those kind of movies doesn't pin you into a certain genre or pre-determine that you have a bad plot, bad writing, and over-indulged sterilized special effects *cough*starwars*cough* It's just not the kind of flick that gets writing/directing/acting awards in a general sense when it comes to the Academy Awards.

Basically I'm saying I understand why Kong didn't make it. I can see what makes it not worthy of winning. Nonetheless, it'll still hold the place as my second favourite next to LotR, and join the club with Spiderman 2, The Last Samurai, and many other complete popcorn flicks that I still love despite what the critics say. The original ones get the Oscars, and the unoriginal but thouroughly enjoyable ones get to be our favourites. (And the ones that are marketed best and can scam the system get the People's Choice Awards )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Hobbes says sums everything up to me.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts:

Brokeback didn't win... yay
Reese Witherspoon won... yay

Will Ferrell and Steve Carell's make-up = best part
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keira Knightley was so hot.

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the one year where I hadn't seen a lot of the movies nominated so it made me feel less of a part of it because i didn't have much insight.

Banner: Shinythings
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebizmybef74 wrote:
This was the one year where I hadn't seen a lot of the movies nominated so it made me feel less of a part of it because i didn't have much insight.

I felt that way too. The only films that I'd seen that won anything were Kong and Narnia. And they won for visual effects, sound, and makeup.
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same for me I didn't even bother watching it. I guess the movies I like aren't good movies. Wow, surprise surprise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash beat Brokeback....... YAY
Memoirs Of A Geisha won 3 YAY
Reese Witherspoon & Rachel Weisz won ......... YAY

oh and Jon Stewart was pretty funny....WAY better than Chris Rock

DaisyAdair
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Capote Reply with quote

YAY for Phillip Seymuor Hoffman in Capote!
If you have not seen capote, go and see it!

For a complete list of winners go here http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2006/oscars

-DaisyAdair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: