Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Character Love/Hate (AKA Fangirls are Scary Pt. 2)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Character Love/Hate (AKA Fangirls are Scary Pt. 2) Reply with quote

I was over at Lost Media and reading their boards and YES, I peeked in the spoiler forum, so sue me. But I barely read anything that I didn't already know... sorta.

My point, while at the fun-filled spoiler board I noticed an admin notice at the top of the threads that said "Shippers I'm looking at YOU!" Instant eye-roll there. When you get into support for one couple or another, you're really just asking for trouble.

So, after reading that, I headed on over to the shipper boards, natch. But when I got there, I was disappointed to discover threads containing lists like, "Why We Love Sawyer & Kate." Or "You know you're a Jack & Kate fan when..." Not EXACTLY the drama I was looking to laugh at. So I made my way to the character forums and that's when it got interesting.

What I found so incredibly interesting were the Sawyer lovers. No offense to anyone here. They seem so mean! Holy crap! They are like, "I like bad boys and Jack is boring so he should DIE!" Whoa! Hostile much? There is apparently some LiveJournal community called "Die, Jack, Die." Haha.

I personally like the character of Sawyer, but I wouldn't wanna be Best Friends 4 eva! With him in real life if you know what I am saying. Why?

First of all, he's a murderer. You could argue that he killed the innocent Fake-Sawyer in Australia on an accident, however, I don't exactly think that a man who scammed his family out of money so many years ago deserves to be shot down in an alley. He may be indirectly involved with the death of his mother and father, but he's not the one who actually pulled the trigger. A bad guy, sure. But no worse than Sawyer himself - until he sought him out and killed the wrong man in cold blood. He's also a thief and a selfish prick who thinks of no one but himself. He's abrasive and mean and rarely helps out the others, unless it suits him to do so or he's forced to.

But this is what makes Sawyer interesting as a character, not good friend material, IMO. One thing that I am looking forward to is Sawyer evolving as a character and perhaps redeeming himself. That is a much more interesting journey to me than who gets into Kate's pants. Hah.

I'm not about to defend Sawyer's honor - but I will admit that his character is interesting and fun to watch. His nicknames are great and he's spontaneous.

Then of course you have to think of Kate and her criminal past. She says she's killed someone, but we're not sure how or why or if it was even on purpose. She was insistant at the bank that no one gets hurt and was willing to hurt others to in order to protect the innocent bank manager. I'm assuming that she has some alternative story for why she did what she did at the bank, because the Marshall claimed not to believe her story. We're not exactly sure what the Marshall was chasing her for - could be the afformentioned murder, the bank thing or something else. She pulled the man who betrayed her only minutes before from a burning vehicle and has frequently shown compassion and caring for those around her without being forced or bribed to do so. I don't think we know enough about her past yet to say if she needs redeeming yet. Though, even if she does, her character is already exhibiting change - unless it's all an act. *cue scary music*

I don't hate any of the characters - but there are characters that I think are "good people." (Despite being all, make-believe, and stuff.) Some are up in the air and others "need work." Ever since House of the Rising Sun, I felt that Jin wasn't as bad as he was being painted. Especially after ...In Translation, I think his character is more misunderstood than bad.

Jin is probably one of the characters that I've seen written off at some of the boards. They say things like, "Jin, what is his purpose anyway? He's like a non-character!" I think, "How could anyone who actually watches the show come to that conclusion.?"

The bottom line is that I think that all of these characters are well-written and layered. That's one of the reasons that this show is so interesting to me. I'm a huge fan of character-driven plot, and while Lost is at the basic level a situation driven plot (stuck on an island) the day-to-day stuff is very character driven - the good the bad and the ugly. They'd be living in bamboo huts and making telephones out of coconut halves and vines by now if it weren't.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is a much more interesting journey to me than who gets into Kate's pants.

pfffft, EVERYONE gets into Kate's pants

I think Sawyer is more into that missunderstood section than anything too. I don't know why, but he feels like the most real character in the show, like how he acts today completly ties up with what happened to him since he was a kid. And every character, as long as it has effort into it, on this show is really amazing.
Worst rounded character I can pick out of them all... either Hurley or Charlie because their comic relief-ness gets in the way of a trully heartwrenching, or special in any way, backstory...

Jin rocks. I predicted he was actually a good guy... but then again, everyone did, didn't they
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this whole big reply as to why I didn't like Sawyer and at the end of it I realized I actually like his character.

I agree KC, I too look forward to the evolution of the character who calls himself Sawyer. Water is wet, sky is blue and Sawyer has secrets - the selfish git!

Hobbes, I like Charlie and Hurley more so than Jin thus far because I've known similar characters in my own life. No, they are not worth 156 million dollars or have been bloody rock god junkies, but there are similarities in their sense of humor and mannerisms. I look forward to seeing Jin's character develop though.

Oh, and who is picking on "my" Kate!

My lost music vids
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Started this reply last night, at 2am I decided I should go to bed. Work at 8 on the weekends sucks. Anways not sure if my response is appropriate for the topic, but KC should be use to that-laura)

Did you see me on the JK shipper board?

Anyways I try and stay away from the character boards because some fans have lost the ability to see tv as fiction.

I LOVE all the characters on Lost personally. Murderers, Liars, Losers, and everyone else. Each character is written in a complicated intriguing way. Here is why i enjoy every character and actor.

Jack-My favorite. Why? Not because of Jack so much as my obsession with Matthew Fox's beard stuble. However I understand Jack was a character they never planned on so they wrote his back story last second. He is a quasi hero in a fictional world of chaos and I just love rooting for him.

Hurley-LOVE HIM. Not only is he the funniest character on the show, I had the privledge-NAY honor of seeing him on CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM and never in my wildest dreams thought he would join JJ's new show. Some people might view him as a laughs guy, but his episode proved he has layers--and not just outer.

Sayid-Really looking forward to his next centered episode. Naveen is brilliant--I'll watch him in lost and then in an interview with his British accent then fall over LOL. His episode was one of my favorites--the sayid character also has great chemistry with anyone he comes into contact with. I must admit I was nervous his character would just be a scape goat 911 plug, but he is the total opposite.

Sawyer-Ahh the southern smoothie as i like to call him--the man can do no wrong. Pretend to steal inhalers-murder-chain smoke-enjoy reading--his one liners and nicknames that steal the show are just some of the reasons he is appealing. I find Sawyer to be one of the better developed characters on the show, and enjoy the ongoing peeing contest he has with Jack. The dimples on Josh don't hurt either.

Kate-I must admit all my friends and family that watch the show don't care for her much. I enjoy her thoroughly. For one of her first speaking roles Evangelina is doing brilliantly. The most developed female-she is just cool. Plus having two of the hottest characters fighting over her doesn't hurt. Kate's story seems straight forward one minute, then complicated as hell the next. The rubber airplane might be the link to this whole show. I am a Kate fan, and not afraid to admit it. I do want her with Jack--but for the challenge---Does anyone else think the wardrobe department dresses Matt's character like he is going to a gay bar? Yet I digress.

Shannon-Resident rich bitch. Whats not to love? I love the fact that they are clearly straighting Maggie's hair for the episodes--I wonder if heated rocks double as straightening irons. Seriously though I have liked Shannon from day one. I like the hard exterior with the soft inside. Sayid and her are adorable together and I look forward to an episode from her perspective sometime in the future.

Michael-OK am I the only one who has loved Harold since OZ? Like Jorge-i was overjoyed to see this incredible actor join Lost. Harold is one of those actors so good that sometimes you can forget your watching a tv show and start thinking he is Michael. No I'm not nuts. I do love the character and enjoy his awkward relationship with his son. Also love the vibe he has with Sun. The character of Michael just seems honestly written to me. I think Harold's acting chops are to thank for that.

Walt-Can this boy do no wrong?!? I wouldn't be suprised if Malcom dropped LOST for his own show. The character is amazing as well--the weird things that tend to happen around him-creepy. Personally I can't wait to see how his relationship developes with both his father and Locke. Also what part he plays in the entire scheme of things.

Locke-When I said Jack was my favorite I might have been stretching the truth. Terry has been a pimp since the xfiles--LOVED him on alias. Locke is hands down the most mysterious character on the show. He seems to be everyone's personal savior and enemy. The actor and man are brilliant and Walkabout is still the best episode to date.

Sun-Best female character on the show. So glad the secret is out about her english skills because that means she can communicate freely now. I want her with Jin one minute, and Michael the next. Since episode 17 I want her alone and happy lol. This actress is great-the character is a great mix between strong and vulnerable. Looking forward to how the character is developed with Jin sort of out of the picture.

Jin-Loved to hate him, and now just love him. Because they wrote his character as such a creep in the beginning you just had to know he was going to be all mush on the inside. It was great to see the bathroom scene from both Jin & Sun's perspective. Anyone else see Michael and Jin as friends after all this? I'll also admit I cried like three times during his episode-shhh keep it on the dl. Daniel being handsome as all hell doesn't hurt either.

Boone-OK so I'm not a huge Boone fan LOL, but I don't hate him. I do enjoy his school boy crush on Locke. He has great eye brows. cough. moving on.

Claire-Ahh sweet Claire. Not my favorite female, but absolutely loved her centric episode. She got a hell of a lot more interesting when she forgot everything lol. I find her and charlie adorable, but could live with Claire's character hooking up with someone we would never expect.

Charlie-bloody rock star-I'm one of the few people who tuned into Lost for JJ's production, and not DM's LOTR's fandom. I like the character of Charlie-Love his backstory and most of the hooplah on the net about his character (driveshaft.com etc). The character makes me laugh--and annoys me (in hurley's episode)--but overall a good edition to LOST.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What drew me into lost, was not J.J. Abrams or the Dominator, actually. But rather the fact that the show seemed to have an amazingly well put together ensemble cast. I recognized nearly all of the "old faces" (matt, emilie, dom, harold, ian, naveen, even daniel) and was interested to see more of the ones I didn't recognize. I'm drawn to ensemble pieces and the previews made this seem like something worth investigating.

I agree that Harold and Naveen are outstanding. There are so many amazing subtleties that they bring to their performances, kind of "blink and you miss 'em," but so integral to the characters. The way Harold's facial expressions can say so much without being overly animated, just through his eyes - that's amazing to me. I'm thisclose to saying that these two are the best actors on the show.

No, I didn't see you on the J/K shipper board. I sort of lean in that direction as well. I thought it was a little early in the series to bring in a love triangle that's this obvious - in terms of the character's perception. The Shannon/Sayid/Boone thing is much less obvious to the castaways themselves. But the Jack/Kate/Sawyer things seems like, to me, it would have been more interesting if it happened later in the series and not so soon.

Anyway, I agree with a lot of what you, Laura, said about the characters and think that's pretty much how I feel. I enjoy them all and am having fun watching their backstories unravel.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's funny... there are 3 love triangles on this show already... Jack Kate Sawyer, Micheal Jin Sun, Sayid Shannon Boone,

and then there's something not quite a love triangle but nonetheless...
Charlie Claire Ethan.

So in other words, every main character who is female is taken by at LEAST one guy.... well, except Rose... but don't you just expect Hurley and Locke to start fighting over her now???

pooooor Walt... doesn't have a girlfriend...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be interesting if some of the girls started fighting over one of the guys.

For instance! Locke is totally trying to seduce Claire away from Charlie. (*sarcasm*) Now that Sun is single and speaking English, it's only a matter of time that Locke drags her into the jungle in order to witness the beauty that is "eye of the island" (crappy metaphor, Locke).

Kate and Shannon are sure to follow. We could start a polygamy ship. We could call it the LiCKSS! For Locke, Claire, Kate, Shannon and Sun. He'll be like the Hugh Heffner of Craphole Island.

That'll leave the guys to fend for themselves. Sawyer and Jack would make a beautiful couple... the fighting, the making up...

Wow. It's incredibly late.

Ladies and gentlemen, behold my version of Lost Speculation. It's my first try. Go easy on me.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Locke! He's a playa'

I guess 9 adult males just isn't enough for those 4 girls LOL
man... they need another girl... they could take in one of the extras...?? I saw some hot blonde in the background a couple of times
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is a lot of reading! My brain is itchy now.

I like your analysis of characters Laura and I too like the whole crew.

Hobbes you forgot this triangle with the 5th girl on the island:

Hurley - Danielle (booby-trap girl) - Sayid
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoreLight wrote:

Hurley - Danielle (booby-trap girl) - Sayid

the hottest triangle of all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sayid!?! No no no, it's gotta be Locke. Sayid already has a triangle
Besides, Locke likes creepy things ^^
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Locke's triangle was:

Shannon Boone Locke

Wait let me edit this in...

:vomit:
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Locke was in a triangle with a boar and his favorite knife
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon and Boone huh? I guess it's Shannon and Locke fighting over her brother
Cliodna
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have any fangirl hate, it's directed towards Michael. The guy drives me insane. I liked him a little there, during his episode... but then I went right back to not liking him. I'm all about him dying at the end of the season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: