Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Originality: A guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Originality: A guide Reply with quote

Originality
An Essay on vidding, what we like, and why we like it.

So your videos are well done, and you know it, but nobody seems interested in them. You don’t seem to be getting Council Picks, you don’t get them all that often, or plainly nobody seems to really notice how great you think your video is. Well, then this might be the time where you’ve hit your peak of what simply good editing techniques and beat use can give you.

There are many vidders out there who can take a song, any song, and just vid it and make it really great. Sometimes these vids will have stories (often a simple one such as a linear shipper vid), sometimes they’ll just be random-clippers, but almost always they’re done very well, with excellent beat use and a [sometimes basic, but usually there] interpretation of the song.
Now answer me this: what one word in that paragraph signifies why these particular vids rarely get a large amount of praise, and often fluctuate between earning Council Picks and getting nothing? The answer is the word “many”. These vids are numerous, and rarely get singled out among the others. Even though they’re DONE well, it’s doubtful that many people notice it, and most viewers probably won’t remember the video later, or feel compelled enough after watching to give it an in-depth review. This is too true for many of the vids we give Council Picks to. They have all the necessary skill, but none of the jazz to draw a crowd.
“But they still get the awards!” you say? “Not always”, I reply. They sometimes fluctuate between CPs and Non-CPs, often depending on the song that the person chooses: A straightforward shipper song, when interpreted, will probably just seem a very boring vid in the judge’s booth, and probably won’t get that CP. However, an interesting, different kind of song that calls for an original storyline will probably spark the judge’s attention and be awarded a CP. But if it’s just because the video is something different than usual, that doesn’t mean the vidder did any “better” on it than the boring one, they just picked the right song and vided it like they normally would.
As far as how these videos land with the viewer public in general, I’d say it fluctuates: The video’s praise level is often dependant on a number of factors, including:
1. If the people liked the song
2. If they liked the couple/character
3. If the idea seemed new to them (which depends on their knowledge of vidding)
4. If the people know the vidder and/or are friends with him/her
5. How LONG the song is.
The length of a song coincides with many factors, such as how long the vid can keep a viewer’s attention. If the video is really long, it means it relies even more heavily on whether the viewer likes the song, is interested by the story, etc, etc. The amount of time the viewer is kept interested essentially becomes the marking value of how good a video is. One that can hold most viewers for it’s entirety usually equals a “good video”, while one that goes on for 7 minutes with no change from a bunch of random clips of random Losties, even WHEN edited really well, probably will never be able to hold a viewer’s attention long enough to get anything more than pity praise.

Where am I going with all of this? Well I am now going to explain as best I can my theory of what makes a video good, and how anyone can take this extra step and make theirs “good”. I say “theory” because I am no expert on the subject either, I’m just a vidder who is told by others that my videos happen to be good. I personally love all my vids, even those that don’t get the praise the others do, so I can never know just what makes them “good”. I see tons of errors in every single one of them that drive me mad, and hope that others don’t notice them, but otherwise I’m blind as to whether they’re good vids are not. All I can do is look at other people’s vids and determine whether I like them or not, then try to apply that same logic to my own… thus killing the love I had for my own in the first place…. but what the hell, it makes it “better” in the long run. If you don’t want to go the extra mile to make your vids all that they can be, slave over every part of them until you hate them just to try and make them great, and hopefully if you do it right reap the benefits of videos that everyone can agree are something special, then stop reading now, and I will completely understand! Go! Go now!

Assuming you haven’t left, then lets get back on track. Okay, so a great vidder editing-wise wants to try and make a video with some originality. This person has many choices on what to do:
1. If the song is an interesting, original one, then the person merely has to follow the story of it. This is the easy way, and it means you’re going to need first dibs at that particular song to make it happen, or interpret the song differently from the last person’s version.
2. Intense effects and animation to make the video interesting: This is also an “easy route” because any ammount of it is going to make the video original. What’s a real challenge is fitting the animation in a context so that it’s not just an “add-on” to a video, but is actually necessary to make that video’s story work. A brilliant example of this is in Aislynn’s videos, which use animation not just for show, but also to convey more than the scenes alone can provide.
3. An AU story. Go completely out of context with the conventional stuff and just leap into a story! The song may not even be followed, and may just be a “backdrop” for the story. This is a great way to take one of those straightforward shipper songs and make it your own.
4. Emotion: A video that conveys the emotions of a character or couple without lyrics, but simply with subtle effects and notes in a song can do wonders for making a video special. An example of a vidder who uses this technique brilliantly is Lostzilla.
5. Quality: The easiest and possibly most unfair of them all: a beautiful picture quality is going to end up making the video look better, even IF judges don’t account for it when judging. Likewise, a slight change in colour or brightness can give the entire video a “new” feeling, and keep the viewer focused on the vid. But be careful, as sometimes this also means they’ll be distracted from the story while they focus on the pretty colours.

“But those choices are way too constricting!” you say, “What if I want to make a really great ensemble video with no story to it whatsoever?”
Well, aside from adding a bunch of time-consuming effects, there’s not much you can do I’m afraid. This is why when we judge videos, we try to award any that does a really good job editing, whether or not if goes the “extra mile”, because otherwise we’d never award a number of the genres we get. As long as the videos can hold our attention long enough, then even if they don’t use much originality we’ll probably pass them. But even those videos will be very-much on the edge, and I highly doubt they’d get much praise from the general viewing public.
So what does this all boil down to for the vidder who has the drive to be the best possible? It means that no longer can you just pick up any song and vid it the easy way. You’ll likely be hunting for songs that you can picture in your mind as a truly different approach than normal, often including many of those five originality techniques I listed at once. It also probably means that when your video is done, those experienced vidders out there are going to congratulate you on a job well done, and it’s fairly likely you’ll finally find the recognition you deserve. I warn you though, this kind of vidding isn’t just about fun anymore, it’s about art now. If you want to choose this path then we encourage you not to hesitate to ask vidders you look up to for some advice, because they’d probably be glad to help you . If you have the drive to go this extra mile, then you will get there. I can almost guarantee it.

Thank you for listening to my guide/rant/essay, I hope it will affect your vidding, or at least your outlook on your own videos and youself in a positive way. If you have any questions, then don’t hesitate to ask.

Last edited by Hobbes on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hobbes, how are you? Can I get your honest opinion on my video 'Lost Sountrack'?

http://www.lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4095

I trust your opinion (not that I don't value everyone else's) because you have done such great videos on here. I would like your honest opinion if it's not too much trouble. You are such a cool person.

I read your essay and I am willing for some constructive criticism on my vid. I want to know if there was anything I could do to make it better or if it's okay. I want to make some more.

Thanks
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be glad to review, thanks for reading my ramblings lol
But I don't think you'll need them. This vid was such a perfect example of originality I feel bad telling others they have to be that original That was a straight-up excellent vid: great sound editing, great voiceovers, great idea!
Keep in mind though that that is a different sort of video than the "average video" I'm talking about, so just the fact that it's a lost commercail kinda gives it a huge originality boost already
Great video though. I'd liek to see how you do on future more "standard" videos with those kinds of ideas behind them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hobbes, I really appreciate your feedback. I only wish I had the same positive attitude towrd the things I create. I tend to be my own worst critic . I thought it was good, but I felt it could be better. Typicial me.

That commercial took my a little while to make, and I am working on my next one. Right now I'm doing the graphics and looking for the right background music. It's not as easy as some people think, but it's fun!

Thanks for critiquing me, I really value your opinion. I will only strive to make my next one even better. I hope everyone likes it.

Fan4Lost

P.S. I love to read your ramblings...they make a lot of good points.
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide, Hobbes! Lots of the stuff in your essay is really relevant!

sig by IslandofMystery
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Hobbster.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
aaweth
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! thanks so much!! i am brand new here and that is great help
Killers Angel Eyes
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. It might prove to be a big help to me in the future!

my videos
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this is helping out some vidders I hope it at leasts helps people understand the judging process, if nothing else.
xgene
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was both helpful and scary (being a new vidder myself). I will definitely use this advice in upcoming vids I do. You did however manage to increase my paranoia that the only vid I've done so far is totally "average" crap LoL, it all good though. Thanks again.

I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the average stuff can stil be great it just might not be different enough to really stand out lol
Thanks for reading the guide, I hope it helps rather than hinders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: