Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LVI's Featured Member for August!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVI Council
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: LVI's Featured Member for August! Reply with quote

LVI's first Featured Member is.....Dennis (DJC Productions)!

Dennis has been a member of LVI for over 3 years. He's always made excellent videos - in fact, every single video he has posted here has received both a Gold VP & CP! That's really incredible! Here is our interview with Dennis!

1) What got you interested in vidding?

I took a media productions class my junior year in high school. I had never edited a thing in my life and the first time I edited a vid in that class I was hooked. I used to go there during all my free periods to edit. I ended up saving all my money and buying a new Mac and editing equipment because I wanted to do it all the time. That's when I really discovered You Tube and started vidding my favorite shows and movies.

2) Do you have a tip, trick, or technique you'd like to share?

This might just be something that everybody already does but it's something that I've done ever since I started vidding, and it's really helped me to keep my vids as organized as they can be.

I like to make sure that I get all the clips that I want to use for a vid in my timeline before I even start editing. This way I know where every possible clip is and I don't have to go searching. It's also really helpful for me to be able to find connections and parallels between clips when I have them all laid out in front of me. It's an especially useful technique for character studies or large ensemble vids and makes it a lot easier to make the best possible vid I can.

I also always go into a vid knowing how I'm going to begin it and end it. I think those are the two toughest and most important things to figure out in a vid. Once I have that figured out, it makes it a lot easier to fill in the middle.

3) What are your favorite current fandoms?

Nothing will ever compare to Lost for me but there are still a few good shows out there that I like. I just got into Sherlock which is really good. Homeland and Game of Thrones are probably the two greatest shows I've seen in a long time. I also like Mad Men, White Collar, Burn Notice, Falling Skies, Community, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and I just started Breaking Bad.

4) What was your first vid and what is your favorite vid you've done?

My first vid was a Harry Potter vid set to Carly Comando's "Everyday". It was a piece of sh*t.lol

My favorite vid I've done is one of my most recent one's "Lost-Light at the End of the Tunnel". I'm just really happy with the way it came out and the response it's gotten. I feel like it really portrays how I viewed the show and why I loved it so much.

5) Do you have any goals as far as skill improvement or dream projects?

I'm always trying to find ways to get better and learn new stuff all the time. I've learned a lot from just watching other vidders and how different techniques have come and gone. I don't think I'll ever just be satisfied with my editing.

A dream project would be to edit something professionally and have an audience see it. Getting feedback from a crowd would be amazing.

6) How important do you feel that effects are in a video compared to having a good storyline?

I guess it depends on the tempo your going for but I've never been a big fan of effects. I think you can achieve even more in a vid by using minimal to no effects and really focusing on how the clips relate to the music. Videos that achieve that are much more effective in my opinion.

I'm not sure you need a storyline as much as you need organization in a vid. You need to make a vid make sense somehow. Whether it be through finding connections or having the ending relate to the beginning in an interesting way. I think the most important thing is to try and convey an emotion. If it's an epic, intense type song, my objective is to give people chills with the way I edit it. If it's a slow emotional type song, my objective is to make people cry. If people tell me I've done those things, then I feel like I succeeded.lol

7) And finally, a question not vidding-related - if you could meet any celebrity, living or dead, who would it be?

Off the top of my head I would have to say Christopher Nolan because the guy's just a genius and my favorite director.

And Blake Lively for very different reasons.

Featured Videos:

LOST-Light At the End of the Tunnel - a gorgeous ensemble video.
Failsafe-Desmond Hume - an excellent character study that is beautifully edited.
Everything In It's Right Place - a very cool, fast-paced vid showcasing a bunch of different movies!

Congratulations, Dennis!

(Don't know what the Featured Member is? Read here to learn more. )

Last edited by LVI Council on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading this, I love what Dennis said about collecting all the clips before starting to edit. I used to do that but I think it would be a beneficial technique to start doing again! Great answers Dennis
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

LOL that made me laugh.

Great interview! I loved reading what you had to say and I'm a big fan of your vids! They are always amazing!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Dennis! Loved reading your answers. Your tips are fantastic! <3
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, congratulations. As a fan of your work; I was really intrigued with your answers. It's always great for aspiring vidders to get tips, so thanks.
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Dennis! This was a great interview!
ciaimpala
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dennis! This is a great interview!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dennis! Fantastic interview, a fun read
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dennis! I enjoyed reading what you had to say and great tips, too!

Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dennis!

Awesome achievement that every one of your vids has been a gold VP & CP!

I've always really enjoyed your vids. Your interview was really interesting.
I think that's cool that you go into your vids knowing how they'll begin and end.
I think that's what gives your vids such a great flow.

Macaila
DJC Productions
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot everybody. Thanks for caring about anything that I have to say.lol

KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Haha, cheeky!!!

You're without any doubt one of my favourite vidders (ever!) because your vids are always so emotional and simply beautiful!

I love what you said about using fancy effects in a vid because I'm totally with you here: I've never been a fan of effect overload in vids. Emotions are definitely more important!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Karolina! That's a big compliment coming from you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: