Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is constructive criticism for?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LithiumDoll
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two cents and it's mine, all mine! Maybe that should be pence. Damn colonials. ::coff::

I don't tend to give critique unless the vidder has specifically asked me for it - mostly because a) I don't watch vids with an eye for the flaws casually so miss stuff and b) I don't like saying negative things about someone's best loved video, even if it is a little fugly and its momma dressed it funny.

So, if I like a vid, I comment and if I don't, I don't. Unfortunately, I don't actually watch a lot of vids at all so sometimes people think I hated their vid when I haven't actually watched it. (eg, if I haven't commented on your vid in here, chances are I actually haven't seen it, not that I hates it and wants it dead, precious).

On the rare occasions I am asked for critique, I'll usually watch a few times to see if I actually followed what the vidder was trying to do. Then, I'm honest. If something's good, I'll say it's good. If something is offending my eye, I'll say that too - but I'll say why for both and I guess that's what I'd want from people critiquing me, if they were inclined.
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT - I think it should be 2 pence. I still have a 2 pence piece from my stay in the UK. After reading your opinion this 2 pence piece will remind me to keep it to myself on occassions.

"Its mine, mine, mine, down, down, down...I'm a rich and wealthy miser."
-Daffy Duck

I wish I had thought about things the way you do LD. It could have saved me from some mis-understandings.
Astarte

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the feedback thing very differently, there is a huge difference between betaing a vid and giving your opinion to a finished vid. For example I think Hobbes and Enchirito to name two are both excellent betas, when I see their responses in the rejected-section, because they very specificly are pointing out, what worked and what not.

And you see that if a vid was very close to getting in, they know exactly which parts should be reworked up to the point of the time and suggestions on how to rework these things. Same goes for your, MoreLight, you are giving a reason for your critque and that is something I truly appreciate in both a beta and a review.

I can only guess, that it is somewhat painful for the judges to actually sit through some vids and not skip twenty seconds forward to see, if the same scene still plays out. And I think it's really hard to pinpoint higher mediocre down. There are certainly no problem to judge a excellent or bad vid, but the shades of grey are hard to keep track. How much work went into this? Is it a step up or down and make the use of black beats or a white flash count as special effect, because if you know what you are doing, these things are done fast and are they really adding something to the story of the vid or the mood.

Anyway my point is, sitting through 70 vids can be really frustrating and I truly glad that they take the time here on the board to explain, why a vid is rejected to the vidders. And most of the vidders, who are phrasing this question are genuine interested in getting this kind of response to improve their skills. So it's a win-win situation and critique is voiced for a reason, because if the vidder don't want to know, why take the time to explain, how to improve?
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely stated Astarte. I had forgotten to give props to the council who take time in that section to help out those who wonder what happened.

One of the best things on this site is the training vids. I really enjoyed viewing them and the examples of what not to do. You can type ten thousand words in a Primer on making a fan vid and still have confusion but creating a demo pretty much clarifies things.

I'd love to see an advanced demo which points out great aspects of a vid by someone other than the original vidder, but that would take a bit of time and work and would require permission from the original vidder to do it. Hmm. I might do something like this.
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Astarte on this. Good topic by the way.

I have slightly different approaches to beta'ing and constructive criticism. When you beta someone’s work for them they are at the point when they are most receptive to change things and when they are probably aware of faults in the video themselves. This is the point at which you can say things like "this transition doesn't work" "there is a rough cut at this point" "this section is too long" etc. Beta'ing is more specific because the vidder can still change the faults. When you are offering someone constructive criticism you are commenting on someone’s finished piece. They are not likely to alter it and are probably quite satisfied with it. So when I give constructive criticism I always try to give some positive feedback as well as saying where parts didn't work for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: