Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is constructive criticism for?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: What is constructive criticism for? Reply with quote

I was watching a few Lost vids today (big surprise huh?) and was thinking over the reaction of vidders to comments on their vids at this and other vid sites I am a member of.

Some vidders ask for pointers, some just want to show off their work and if it sucks the idea is to "keep it to yourself buddy," some want to improve, some want to have the approval of others. There are also a multitude of ways to go about giving comments.

"You suck and your vid sucks" is not constructive even if those 2 facts are true. In a slightly better but also unhelpful manner "You rock and your vid ROCKS!" is also not very constructive in terms of improving vidding skills but makes a vidder feel good for the rest of the day.

I know some vidders want to learn, others want to share, and some could give a "fart in my general direction" what I think.

How do you make a constructive comment?

My lost music vids
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig detailed comments as well. Good or bad. Neither one phase me too much cause I still feel the same way about each video I make no matter what people say about it. But getting detailed input about what worked, what didn't is always cool. I've seen good and bad things said about my work and it was all glorious to hear. That's how you learn. But I'll shut up now.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will comment later tonight.

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know if anyone has noticed but I have yet to comment at the video boards, so maybe this thread will be good for retards like myself who don't have much to say.

I think my problem is that since I'm relatively new to fan-made videos, all of them are just... "wow." To me. I'm learning what to look for and what I like, but for the most part I just have a lot of respect for the people who make them and definately respect for those people who have enough talent to get thier video passed by the (shiver) council.

I think that all of the videos here are good - that's why they're here. They're good quality picture-wise, easy to download, (ie, not ten thousand MB in size) and they're well made. It's obvious to me that a lot of thought goes into each video here. Which is why it's hard for me, the newbie, to have anything more to say than the aforementioned, "Wow."

(Or, if you will, "OMG DUDE! Your video rocks and so do you!")

I have more to say, but dinner is served so I'll be back!
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty simple to critique a video. Just express to the vidder what you liked about the video and what you didn't like about it. There isn't a wrong answer to either of those!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: What is constructive criticism for? Reply with quote

Some vidders may want comments or suggestions to better themselves and their work. I'm not ashamed to say I'm not one of them. I make LOST videos, and have made them for other fandoms because..

1. I usually am quite obsessed with the subject matter
2. Mixing songs with said subject "rocks"
3. Gives me practice in my downtime from school projects (telecomm major)

I post them in public to..
1.) receive comments such as "This rocks! YOU rock!"
2.) share the lost love
3.) If i made them and kept them to myself that would be sad

I personally believe in cronstructive critism when it is put in a manner that doesn't offend. This is a boundry that I really can't explain. I know personally I've made over 100 videos and wouldn't change a thing about them. These are not submissions to a film festival--they are fan videos to enjoy--take them or leave them.
Before this fandom I hosted several vidders. Some were very talented, some were not. I never said to them "this video is poorly done," because they were still learning. Each video from then on got better and better because they saw their work and decided what to improve or change themselves.
I really thought I was in for it when i joined the council here, but i accept and reject videos on a daily basis with no problems. That doesn't mean i e-mail rejectees with advice on how to improve themselves. Hobbes' videos pretty much some that up--
Some people want others to tell them how to cookie cutter out a good video. I really disagree with this because all the videos are starting to look alike to me. I can understand critism like--
"WMM is very bad at seperating clips so you might want to make tighter cuts."
I can't understand critism like--
"I don't understand why you would use--or do" Because it is their artistic right to do..well..whatever the hell they want to. POWER to them.
If i offended anyone-get use to it-laura

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I don't offend you when I say I must criticize your inability to accept criticizim. I think it's unfair to ask for good feedback and then reject negative feedback. Plus, sometimes when people point out what they didn't like about your work, you find things that you yourself don't like about it. This makes you better at pleasing others AND pleasing yourself.

That's just what I think and you're free to disagree.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I dish it out, but I've never really taken it, mostly because nobody gave me any yet somebody do so...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
I hope I don't offend you when I say I must criticize your inability to accept criticizim. I think it's unfair to ask for good feedback and then reject negative feedback. Plus, sometimes when people point out what they didn't like about your work, you find things that you yourself don't like about it. This makes you better at pleasing others AND pleasing yourself.

That's just what I think and you're free to disagree.

I can accept criticizim when it is given in an appropriate manner.

Jake's Twin
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I posted this is also to get an idea of who wants criticism and who wants just praise.

I've stepped on some toes when I joined various forums due to the way members view comments on things like pics they've posted, wallpapers they've made and now vids.

I am not a good lier. If I don't like something I generally spell it out and since I find it impolite for me not to comment on a vid that I've downloaded. I run into a little quandary.

I am not at all saying you have to follow my own recipe for what I think makes a good vid at all as I've said before - that would be boring. If I believed every vid should conform to MoreLight's standard for fan based vids I'd just make a list of all the songs for the vids and make my own.

Just as I don't expect other people to make vids to please me I also don't expect every vidder to have the same view as I do on "constructive criticism" which comes to this post.

I want to learn what other people like in my vids so I can "see media art" through other individual eyes. I've taken art appreciation courses in College and wondered what would art be if no one cared how good it was to other people. My answer was abstract art. Which I think sucks, but I know others like it.

I made the mistake of ASSUMING that every vidder had the same feeling about their vids as I did and wanted to see what worked and what didn't. Now I understand that some take the comments as personal offenses to their creative artistry and will be careful for future comments.
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morelight please don't let my reservations on the subject stop you from being honest. I also apologize for being bitchy in my response post. So be honest and I'll try to keep my whinning to a minimum.-laura
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see from our posts, LAURA and I have somewhat oposing viewpoints on this subject. They are BOTH perfectly valid. The cool thing is that anyone who reads this topic will now know how to respod to each of us in manner we prefer. So, this thread is useful after all!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I don't like something I generally spell it out and since I find it impolite for me not to comment on a vid that I've downloaded. I run into a little quandary.

I've found the same thing to be true when I've read fan fiction in the past. I never really got too far into the bad ones so it's not like I've read the entire thing, but what do you say if you read someone's story or in this case watch someone's video and you don't like it? Even worse, what if it's just bad.

For me to correct every mistake in their story, and then go on to critique the story itself, would be in bad taste. But at the same time, I can't just tell the person, "You are a terrible writer." So what do you say? Well, I've learned that you should try to find something positive to say - like maybe the premise of a story was good, but the rest of it bombed. So I've taken the road probably most often travelled, JUST commented on the premise, and left everything else out. Hehe. But probably more times than that, I've just not commented at all.

If someone is asking for criticism it's one thing. But I'm still sort of a fence-sitter if they haven't asked. I probably wouldn't take it badly myself, but maybe some others would. I guess as long as you try to be as tactful as you possibly can in your suggestions I think it's okay. Ballsy. But okay. Haha.
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't understand critism like--
"I don't understand why you would use--or do" Because it is their artistic right to do..well..whatever the hell they want to.

This I know is directed at me since I posted the comment in your vid but just so the air is clear. I am an idiot and did not understand the use of a certain technique in a vid and wanted to learn. I did not at all mean to question or poke fun at a creative choice.

Laura you have every right to express your opinion and will respect your wishes on comments for your vids.

If I were a sensitive type Enchirito I'd infer that you think my posts aren't useful
Quote:
So, this thread is useful after all!
but since I'm a sarcastic SOB I'll take that as a compliment!

I've been a beta reader for a couple of fan fic writers and one writer told me that she was very sensitive about criticism. I found that extremely difficult to continue as a beta so I stopped. I agree with your idea for how to approach the "bad" media. It is important to pick out the strengths but at the same time I think it is also important to hint (in a tactful way) at what needs work. I choose the ballsy method.
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoreLight wrote:
If I were a sensitive type Enchirito I'd infer that you think my posts aren't useful
Quote:
So, this thread is useful after all!
but since I'm a sarcastic SOB I'll take that as a compliment!

Well, YEAH. of course I was being sarcastic! And I *think* I was just pointing out that this thread has caused some problems, or something, and... well, I don't really even remember why I said that... so... I'll just say that I'm glad their are some fellow sarcastic SOB's on these boards! hoo-ra!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: