Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking Clips from DVDs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a trial of Vegas 6, and it won't let me import any MPEG files unless I buy the program. Is there any way to turn the clips into AVI?

sig by IslandofMystery
Flight-815

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, I seem to be the only one who gets how to use this tutorial.. Here's are brief answers to anyone who lands upon this topic in the future;

Once you've taken the clips off the DVD go to the VIDEO_TS folder and right click on all the files and hit Properties. (Or you can simply put your mouse over each file and a little thing should pop up saying:
Type: <The type of file it is>
Date Modified: <Date you last did something to it?>
Size: The size of the file

The one with the largest size is the one which is the movie clip file. Keep in mind, MB is biggest than KB, GB is bigger than MB. To see if that is indeed the right clip go to Google and type "Download VLC Player" then download the player to view the clip.

Now that you've got this clip, how the heck are you suppose to put it in a certain Video Editing Program like Windows Movie Maker that doesn't accept .VOB files? This step is simple enough, download a Converter! Where can you download a good converter though that is safe and simple. I am currently trying to test out one which can be download by clicking here then clicking the red "Download" button.

Once you've downloaded the file simply open it and hit the "Add" button, now select the .VOB files you wish to convert. The files will eventually get converted and then you can open it up in the Movie Editing program.
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't been responding to questions and thanks to digit7766 for trying to sort things out for people. I've now placed the "notify on reply" button so I get an e-mail when a reply comes.

For the AUDIO problem you need to go back a step before you render the vid into the smaller chunk look to the audio section as seen below:

See how there are 2 audio channel possibilities? If you uncheck the AC3 2-ch(annel) English - Director's Comment you will have the original track of the 5.1-channel. In some cases like in SuperKC's case there may be even more selections. Just uncheck all but the 5.1 or the 2 channel selections whichever is the main sound you want.

If you aren't sure about which audio channel is what and want to preview the sound just start playing the movie in the preview and hover your cursor over the little preview window and right click. This brings up a new menu as seen below:

You can select one or the other channel in this case you can check the Director's Comment to hear what the audio sounds like and then switch back.

My lost music vids
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can a mod please make this a sticky please... i always forget where it is
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the text guides page Vicky! They're all listed there for easy access. Keep s the sticky section from being cluttered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ha... no worries thanks for that
-x- Angelic -x-
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know if it works with re-writable dvds? Thes are the only ones i have that contain lost clips because i tapped it straight from the tv on to dvd.

Its saying it doesnt detect a disk in the drive. Is this beacuse its a taped one?

Banner made by me!
xoxojack_is_mynxoxo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanna thankyou morelight! i actually can do this now and its all thanks to you! thanks sooooooooo much ive got a pure buzz on wooooooooooo lmao
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help xoxojack_is_mynxoxo.
You're welcome.

To answer your question -x- Angelic -x-. I think that so long as you used the format which your DVD player (non-PC) can recognize then so too should the DVD Shrink program. If you open the DVD RW and using the explore function and you see AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders then it will most likely work.
Lost.With.Charlie
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've made my clip but when i try and play it in windows movie maker it just comes up as a black screen :S i played it in windows media player and it was ok though :S can anyone help???

whitestone1623
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the name of my file to mpeg, but my computer is still reading it as a VOB file. Is there anything I can do about this?
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost.With.Charlie Sorry I don't know why this would happen but if it is like Sony Vegas you may need a codec to play/edit mpeg/mpgs.

WhiteStone Try changing the file to mpg and not mpeg. If that doesn't fix it try associating mpg extensions to play with windows media player and see if that helps at all.

My lost music vids
whitestone1623
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing it to mpg doesn't work.

MoreLight wrote:
try associating mpg extensions to play with windows media player and see if that helps at all.

Umm, I don't know how to do that.

Thanks so much for trying to help me out, by the way.
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To associate a file type (eg. FILENAME.mpg) with a certain application just right click the file and when you see the drop down menu (so long as you are using a PC) first select Open With |> then select Choose Program... and choose the program to use to open this extension (in this case it is Windows Media Player) and if you always want to open this file type with the program you need to check the box at the bottom of that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" then click Ok.
whitestone1623
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it still sees it as a DVD. Thanks anyway, though. I really appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: