Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KING KONG!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I finally got to see this awesome movie tonight and I absolutely loved it, more then I did Narnia actually. It was just.....awesome. & sad.
I kind've got freaked out with all those huge ass, gross bugs, especially those disgusting worm things that were eating everyone. Ewww! lol.
The dinosaur scenes/chases were the best though I'd have to say, diffinately my favourite parts of the film. Cast was awesome, I don't think there could've been a better one IMO. Everyone was fantastic in this, I loved Jack Black.
Umm...the only thing I didn't really like about it was that it took so damn long to get to Skull Island. I just think that the whole ship/boatride scene(s) could've been cut down a bit, thats all. But other then that I LOVED it!
Can't wait for the DVD now. lol.

Narnia - 9/10
King Kong - 11/10
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!! Holly!! YAY!!

Kong 12345678836959346362 / 10
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Kong >>>>> Narnia.

You know why? Narnia is completely hollw, and tries to be an epic far too hard when it obviously isn't that you don't even get to know the characters, let alone care about them when they die *coughAslancough* maybe it's good for anyone who read the books, but for someone like me it was just too hollow and stupid And worst of all, the theatre I was in was clapping when it was over, but NOT for King Kong

King Koing on the other hand, though with some flaws, and a very long plot, was all really about the characters. You cared when Kong died. He's a big ape that killed many people and caused millions of dollars in damages, but you cared! There was subtlety, and class... and that's why I liek it better. Maybe if I was a few years younger I would like Narnia, but as an adult movie? no way. KK FAR greater than Narnia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Yes, Yay me!
King Kong ROCKS!!!!

Now I'm waiting for Poseidon. I loved the first movie so I'm so excited to see the remake. Hope it doesn't suck. lol.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that movie looks retty good. and it better be
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any trailers for Poseidon yet *goes searching*

anyway did anyone actually like Narnia better than King Kong lol
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallen_angel wrote:

anyway did anyone actually like Narnia better than King Kong lol

I think E did.
[Snooty Ikea voice]But that is because he's cra-zy[/snooty Ikea voice]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood wrote:
Now I'm waiting for Poseidon. I loved the first movie so I'm so excited to see the remake. Hope it doesn't suck. lol.

I'm really worried about that remake. The original "Poseidon Adventure" is one of my favourite movies ever. They made a dodgy telemovie remake early this year and it SUCKED. So I'm really hoping they do a god job with this one.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boondocks
This Week: King Kong Is Racist

It's funny... I guess.
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
Maybe if I was a few years younger I would like Narnia, but as an adult movie? no way. KK FAR greater than Narnia.

wow. I usually always agree with Hobbes! But on this I can not disagree more. I disagree 180 degrees. For me, KK felt shallow and superficial, while Narnia felt rich with subtext and hidden meaning. Narnia may feel like a kid movie on the outside but under the surface there is much more going on. C.S. Lewis was an amazing thinker and writer so, believe me, I am not 'reading into it too much'.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can claim rich subtext all you want, but the whole thing was still just an attempt at an epic tale that really didn't seem to pull of that epicness, at least to me Was LotR filled with subtext that made it seem all epic and wonderful? Hell yes, but that wasn't all it took to make the movies superb. Maybe if Narnia had more time to bring the characters to something more than I could come up with in a DnD game, and maybe if the movie didn't have to relly on child actors, then it could be good, but from what was there? No way! Subtext this, great author that, it still all comes down to the actual movie, no matter how much you want to pick the pieces apart. King Kong may be overdone, it may just be Peter Jackson filling his boyhood fantasy and putting whatever the hell he could think of into the movie, but at the core the most important thing was still there: the characters. And I for one found myself sympathizing with the big silent ape more than any other human character on Narnia combined. oh, and don't get me started on Aslan.
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whooooooooooooooooooooooa. Your talking as if i compared Narnia to LotR! Narnia is in no way close to LotR!
To me, Narnia, the way i percived it, is an exploration of religion (mostly the christian religion unfortunatly) disgused as a childrens story. Its a children's epic. Now, LotR is a hardcore, full blow fantasy epic. Probably the *most* epic fantasy story every concieved! Not really the best comparison methinks!

ok, let me explain my view on Kong. It's overlong and frankly, as i was watching it i was thinking 'it seems like there is a really good movie in here, but its... all... just messed up! Like the pieces didn't fit right. like someone put an awesome, compeling story into a blender and it came out all disjointed! now, i love peter jackson and I HAD TO understand how he could love this thing so much. So I watched the new 1933 Kong on DVD.

and.. A-HA!!!!

I found it. The real King Kong. Everything makes sense. Kong is terrifiying, (and hillarious in his close-ups), everything that happens makes sence. Every character serves a purpose, and you are NOT rooting for Kong the whole movie. It's only at the end that you realize what a horrible situation humanity has put him in. Did I mention this was made in 1933!

I learned a few things too. Like there were more monsters and dinos that were originally cut out of the 1933 KK. Notes from the director say he cut them becaus it slowed down the film and ruined the pace. PJ knew this! Yet, when it came down to it, he couldn't do it himself! I think i know what happend to PJs KK. He loved it to death.

All my opinion of course.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this movie but your interpretation makes sense. I've seen the original and used to love it when I was a kid actually. I think it was the first movie I remember I ever cried over. (That or the lonesome dove miniseries on TV, I can't remember which!) So yeah, there is a part of me that wants to see this version of Kong. But there is another part of me that just wants to leave well enough alone.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I think I may even agree with your analogy of King Kong E. I loved the story that went through in this version, no matter how disjointed it was, but I've never seen another so maybe it's not the movie that made it great, but the story that PJ took from the old versions. I'm almost afraid to look though and find out that the old 1933 version was better... that would terrify me to no bounds. But I did love this version, however flawed it may seem in comparison to its older versions.
As for Narnia. Fine, I won't compare it to LotR, since that's obviously a steamroller. But nonetheless, Narnia is still being regailed as the "New sensation after Lord of the Rings" and is shooting for this epic tone that it obviously can't pull off whatsoever the thing is so incredibly short, yet they still managed to try and cram in every scene that made every other epic special to create some "uber l33t" movie full of everything that it takes to make an epic summed up in an hour and a half It completely passed the whole part about the characters actually CARING about risking their lives for the Lord-and-Savior-Lion and a couple talking beavers (who might I add were the most rounded characters in the movie). The movie itself, with its sheer crazyness of plot and stupid characters makes me dread actually reading the book. Now, my concious mind says that it can't be that bad, it probably just wasn't portrayed well in the movie that Santa Claus was giving the children weapons :rol:.
You say the Christian themes make it all cool and full of hidden meaning, but I say that they just make it manipulative to those who don't know better, like the target child audience, and hillarious to everyone else. I'm respectful to all religions, but I still don't think they can be just be inserted subliminally into some children's story, if that's what this really is (though by the producer's own words, there is no intentional religious subtext). And those themes apply in tons of movies. how can you go anywhere without bumping into David and Goliath? All that really made this one stand out was the fact that the damn lion comes back to life.

Now, I will say some good things about Narnia: It was beautiful. Take a picture anywhere in the movie and yes, I too could think I would love it. Very detailed art. I also actually enjoyed the beginning section, and thought my premonitions on the movie were wrong up until the Beavers started talking... but still, couldn't this just be a picture book rather tham a movie? It could even have the Good Book smell to it!

But it all comes down to comparing this to Kong right? Well, I see one simillarity: they both tried to put everything in to make it the super-duper movie of all time, but it didn't work out as hoped for. They also each screwed themselves over by going too fast in Narnia, or too slow in Kong. the only difference really comes down to the characters once again. Kong had them, Narnia didn't. Maybe these seperate genres are never meant to be compared, or maybe they are very simillar and are both just failures in their own genres. On the other hand, maybe they both are as good as they can get, and we're just knitpicking over nothing, and movies are never goign to be as good as they once were.

All I know is the ape died I felt. When the lion died, I groaned.

Sorry for the far-too-long post, but I'm too opinionated for my own damn good.
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...so I finally see King Kong in NZ after all you guys have been raving about it, and now all of a sudden you've changed your minds?

You're comparing the remake to the original! That's the big NO with any remake. Don't compare to the original, just act as though it's completely different and has nothing to do with the original. For example - Ocean's Eleven. Absolutely nothing like the original. It made the old fans incredibly angry. And yet I loved it then watched the original as if it had nothing to do with it and loved it too.

The new King Kong was much more emotional. There was way more love story and smart fight sequences that were there as a build up to the great emotion. The original didn't have as much emotion, but that's cos audiences were way easier to cry or laugh or get scared back then. The viewers these days need a long build-up to feel for Kong. And yet the build-up can't be boring. So it's filled with all the fighting of other beasts, and suddenly the fact Kong actually cares about Ann.

I'm not gonna talk about Narnia, it doesn't actually have to do with this movie. So..yeah.

Obviously I really enjoyed King Kong btw, forgot to mention that before I started fighting for it's rights. Did anyone else notice the references to the 1933 version? I hope I'm not the only one cos then I'll feel kinda geekish.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: